Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #16
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoky View Post
Thanks for your patch. I look forward to 'Remove system fonts in reader list' this feature.
I've updated the attached files in posts #1 nd #2 to include the `Remove system fonts in reader list` and `Remove non-system fonts in reader list` patches.

I doubt the `Freedom to advanced fonts control` patch can be made to work with this firmware, it will probably require a new patch to be created from scratch.

The current patch involves redirecting one function call to another, and up until now it has worked because both function calls had an identical parameter list. But in 3.11.0 the target function has had an extra parameter added, so it is no longer possible to simply redirect one to the other.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #17
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I've updated the attached files in posts #1 nd #2 to include the `Remove system fonts in reader list` and `Remove non-system fonts in reader list` patches.

I doubt the `Freedom to advanced fonts control` patch can be made to work with this firmware, it will probably require a new patch to be created from scratch.

The current patch involves redirecting one function call to another, and up until now it has worked because both function calls had an identical parameter list. But in 3.11.0 the target function has had an extra parameter added, so it is no longer possible to simply redirect one to the other.
I have test this patch with my HD, it works well. Thanks.
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #18
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Someone could write a program, but it should be easy enough just using a text editor to edit the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file, as long as on Windows you use one that understands unix line breaks such as Notepad++.

Example for sideloaded "Dark Courier" font:
Code:
[Reading]
readingFontSharpness\Dark%20Courier=0.05
readingFontWeight\Dark%20Courier=0.25
The sharpness set by the slider ranges from -0.4 to 0.2 (default -0.06), and weight from -0.2 to 0.8 (default 0.1).
I had a look at this file on my Glo v. 2.8.1. where TypeGenius is working well for my side-loaded font Linux Libertine otf. I did not set any sharpness. I have a unique "readingFontWeight" but with strange -for me- values.

The "Reading "paragraph gives

Quote:
[Reading]
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=justify
readingFontFamily=Linux Libertine
readingFontSize=34
readingFontWeight\Linux%20Libertine=@Variant(\0\0\ 0\x87?\x14z\xe1)
readingLeftMargin=4
readingLineHeight=1
readingRightMargin=4
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 AM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I had a look at this file on my Glo v. 2.8.1. where TypeGenius is working well for my side-loaded font Linux Libertine otf. I did not set any sharpness. I have a unique "readingFontWeight" but with strange -for me- values.
[...]
Code:
readingFontWeight\Linux%20Libertine=@Variant(\0\0\ 0\x87?\x14z\xe1)
This was the old format, the change to the new human-readable format happened in firmware 3.3.0 (or was it 3.5.0?).
Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 AM   #20
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
@GeoffR

Thanks. One reason more to upgrade...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
There is an error in your patch file libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch, line 35 in the original file is:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
(This could also be caused by a change in the replace replace_string on line 17, post your whole patch here if you can't find the problem.)
Do you think it would work if I use your patch from 3.8.0 and change the binary adresses into the ones of 3.11.0 ? Comment out the ones that don't work ??
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #22
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Notes:

Other patches:

If you know of any other patches for firmware 3.8.0, post in this thread and I'll include them in this post.
Extracted from startpost, I think it must be

Other patches:

If you know of any other patches for firmware 3.11.0, post in this thread and I'll include them in this post.

I would like to use this opportunity to express my greatest gratitude to GeoffR for everything he does, here, and behind the screens. (you know what I mean GeoffR)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #23
truemarine
truemarine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.truemarine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.truemarine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.truemarine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K4B, Kobo Aura H2O
Smile Thank you for update the patch again!

Frankly speaking I do not know how I can survive without you and other people's great work...
truemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #24
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemarine View Post
Frankly speaking I do not know how I can survive without you and other people's great work...
It is the meaning of the forum, but in a lot of fora people only think of their own, here people really help.
I like it when not just everyone is calling "use the search" and some people help me before I even asked them something..there is no medaille button/smiley but they deserve it, so it doesn't harm to say thank you, not only GeoffR but all of them who lend a helping hand.
Here I can be myself,no matter if there is a language problem or not,or the question is asked before.
I share the things the people here have learned me,but they must got the credit for it.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
It is also possible to change the names with a patch, but I think the length of the name has to stay the same.

For example here is a patch for libnickel.so.1.0.0 that changes Rockwell to Vollkorn (note both names have 8 characters, only tested with .ttf font):
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Modify system font list (Rockwell)`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = C35838, `R`, `V`
replace_string = C3583A, `o`, `o`
replace_string = C3583C, `c`, `l`
replace_string = C3583E, `k`, `l`
replace_string = C35840, `w`, `k`
replace_string = C35842, `e`, `o`
replace_string = C35844, `l`, `r`
replace_string = C35846, `l`, `n`
</Patch>
Thanks for this tip, Geoff. I was able to reclass 7 of my favourite custom fonts as system fonts with enabled Advanced button using this new method on my AuraHD with v3.11. It seems to work OK, only time will tell

I live in hope that someone will have a Eureka moment to restore the full `Freedom to advanced fonts control`patch to its former glory, but in the meantime this is not so bad.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #26
GeoffR
Wizard

I've posted a new `Freedom to advanced fonts control` patch in post #2. It seems to work okay for me, but I don't use sideloaded fonts much for reading, so treat it with caution.

Don't use this patch if you have your device language or book language set to Japanese!

The patch causes a function to be called with an undefined argument. This is a bad thing to do, but as far as I can tell the undefined value is only used when the locale or book language is set to Japanese. Hopefully someone can find a better patch in time.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #27
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I've posted a new `Freedom to advanced fonts control` patch in post #2. It seems to work okay for me, but I don't use sideloaded fonts much for reading, so treat it with caution.
Thanks, Geoff I'm busy until this evening but I should be able to test it then. Will report back.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't like the "Page xx of yy" format for the footer, but I still want to see the "pages", so I'm using this patch:

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom footer`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# Changes the footer text with something shorter
# (not sure how it affects translations)
#
replace_string = CAA164, `Page %1 <i>of</i> %2`, `%1/%2`
</Patch>
Now the footer is simply "xx/yy". Similar patches could be done for the percentage and time left formats, I guess.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #29
dedalos
dedalos began at the beginning.

Device: kobo GLO
How can I set the patch to obtain this result? Please help me and my aura hd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1414260904579.png
Views:	559
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	130158  
dedalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalos View Post
How can I set the patch to obtain this result? Please help me and my aura hd.
That section of the prologue to Conquistador looks as if the custom footer style is enabled in the patcher.
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = DBDBFC, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 170;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[qApp_deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[qApp_deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n\tpadding-bottom: 0px;\n\tmargin-top: 0px;\n\t/*font-family:none;*/\n}\n\n[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`
#
# Uncomment the replace_string lines of one of the examples below, comment out
# the rest. If you choose to make further changes to the examples, BE CAREFUL
# NOT TO ALTER THE LENGTH OF THE REPLACEMENT STRINGS! (Add or remove spaces if
# necessary to keep the total length the same.)
#
# Example for Touch/Mini:
#replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 32px;`
#replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 32px;`
#replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
#replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 16px;`
#replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 4px;`
#replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`
#
# Example for Glo/Aura:
#replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 40px;`
#replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 40px;`
#replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
#replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 20px;`
#replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 5px;`
#replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`
#
# Example for AuraHD/H2O:
replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 50px;`
replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 50px;`
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 170;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 23px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 8px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`
#
I've attached a sample of what I'm using above in libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch to give a similar looking result for the footer. The rest of the page is margin settings and css styling in the epub file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote