Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #2476
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I only want some way to test if your current install of the screen saver add-in can process .mobi - because that is what you reported did work in "cover mode".

I am not (yet) looking for a solution, just trying to better define the problem.
I kind of mentioned it in my previous post about Calibre; I just tried it specifically with a mobi file though and I can confirm it doesn't work with KOReader and the SS hack.
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #2477
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
I kind of mentioned it in my previous post about Calibre; I just tried it specifically with a mobi file though and I can confirm it doesn't work with KOReader and the SS hack.
Here is one that seems related:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/1914
But I only read the first 8 pages of issues:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues

My thought is that if causing KOreader to create a ss from a cover on command is a requested enhancement, it probably does not do it automatically.

Either the KOreader forum here, or the KOreader issue tracker is probably a better place to discuss integrating the Kindle "cover mode" with covers from documents that only KOreader understands.

That is: Make KOreader dump the current document's cover in a known place and change the screensaver 'cover mode' to look for a valid one there (in addition to checking Amazon documents only).

Last edited by knc1; 04-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2017, 11:50 PM   #2478
Lpchaim
Lpchaim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hey all, first post here. I just got my Kindle and did the JB process, everything worked out smoothly and the instructions were very helpful. I just wanted to say I really appreciate all the effort that went into the guides and, of course, the tools around here.
Anyway, I also wanted to chime in and add to the discussion I saw at the last page or so about some newer ebooks failing to work with cover mode. I've tested and some of the ones I own from Amazon don't work at all with this mode, namely these three here from my quick testing. Interestingly they're all English books even though I'm at the Brazilian Kindle store, but I'm guessing that's just a weirdly specific coincidence. I'll see if I can gather any more helpful details tomorrow morning.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I've got the latest builds of both python and linkss. Also, all of my books that don't work have got the new enhanced page flipping feature, which if I'm not mistaken means they are the latest kfx format and the OP does mention dealing with that is still experimental.

Last edited by Lpchaim; 05-01-2017 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Forgot some details
Lpchaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 AM   #2479
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpchaim View Post
- - - -
Interestingly they're all English books even though I'm at the Brazilian Kindle store,
- - - - -
Not even Amazon is bold enough to mess-up the Klingon versions.

Seriously, the maintainer of this screensaver add-in is away at school.
It may be awhile before he has a chance to deal with fixing the problem.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #2480
Lpchaim
Lpchaim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Not even Amazon is bold enough to mess-up the Klingon versions.
I suppose lol

Quote:
Seriously, the maintainer of this screensaver add-in is away at school.
It may be awhile before he has a chance to deal with fixing the problem.
Oh yes, I saw that. Didn't mean to come off as demanding a fix or anything, just trying to get more info about the issue out there is all.
Lpchaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #2481
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpchaim View Post
I suppose lol

Oh yes, I saw that. Didn't mean to come off as demanding a fix or anything, just trying to get more info about the issue out there is all.
You provided links to the books which fail, which is probably all he will need.*

In the past, having problems fixed here has usually been quite fast, but that is no longer true.
There is a lack of people to do the maintenance work now.

*) I did look at the store page you linked to, and I wonder if the problem has anything to do with the length (size) of the books.
The one I read the description of was 1,300+ pages.
If the 'cover' is physically at the end of the file, that might be part of the problem.
It is not a problem with every kfx format book, or there would be a lot more problem reports than there have been.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #2482
erehwon
erehwon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7
Followed the JB procedure succesfully then upgraded to 5.8.7 (Kindle 7th gen, white. s/n starting with 90DD so identified as KT2) then tried to install the python (Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin) and linkss packages using the 'standard' update method but the update option was greyd out.

I retried with the KUAL package installer: messages are displayed during installation, the GUI is restarted but the linkss folder is not created on the Kindle so I guess the process is not complete.

The MRPI messages were:
Checking "package name"
Destroying package
Done, restarting UI

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by erehwon; 05-02-2017 at 03:38 PM.
erehwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #2483
knc1
Going Viral

Sorry, I was not able to read the messages you saw.
They slid right past me on the mind-to-mind channel you tried to use instead of quoting them.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #2484
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Here is one that seems related:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/1914
But I only read the first 8 pages of issues:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues

My thought is that if causing KOreader to create a ss from a cover on command is a requested enhancement, it probably does not do it automatically.

Either the KOreader forum here, or the KOreader issue tracker is probably a better place to discuss integrating the Kindle "cover mode" with covers from documents that only KOreader understands.

That is: Make KOreader dump the current document's cover in a known place and change the screensaver 'cover mode' to look for a valid one there (in addition to checking Amazon documents only).
I thought about that too (about it being a KOR issue) but I'm not 100% sure - it depends on how the SS hack pulls the cover. I'm not sure it's the reader that does it, but instead the hack relies on a marker of sorts, created by the reader, to create the cover SS. But then again what do I know, maybe I'll ask there
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #2485
erehwon

Quote:
Sorry, I was not able to read the messages you saw.
They slid right past me on the mind-to-mind channel you tried to use instead of quoting them.
Apologies, information wasn't clear enough. I edited my post.

The MRPI messages were:
Checking "package name"
Destroying package
Done, restarting UI

Am i doing something wrong?
Is there a MRPI log that could help?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #2486
knc1
Going Viral

All packages are "Model Locked" and that is the normal result of trying to install a package not intended for your device.

I see in your info box that you have a "Kindle 7" -
Sorry, but none of our packages are built for that model (whatever it is) Kindle.
Only for the models listed here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #2487
erehwon

Quote:
All packages are "Model Locked" and that is the normal result of trying to install a package not intended for your device.

I see in your info box that you have a "Kindle 7" -
Sorry, but none of our packages are built for that model (whatever it is) Kindle.
Only for the models listed here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
"Kindle 7th generation" is the label I see in my amazon account.

Its serial number starts with "90DD" and identified as a"Kindle Basic (2014) (Australia)" so "KT2, BASIC". The entire JB proces was ok.

I tried to install:
- Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin
- Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin

Isn't it right?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #2488
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
"Kindle 7th generation" is the label I see in my amazon account.

Its serial number starts with "90DD" and identified as a"Kindle Basic (2014) (Australia)" so "KT2, BASIC". The entire JB proces was ok.

I tried to install:
- Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin
- Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin

Isn't it right?
If the serial number begins with '9' then we need to see the first six characters, you can see why when you look at the serial number -> nickname table.

If you read the entire JB directions, you would know the JB process is not model locked.

The people who write your Amazon account page do not build (nor name) our packages, what you see on that page is the Marketing Department's name for it in your country.
And those names vary by country and region, they are sometimes non-specific.

Which version of the customer firmware did you install? (step #7)

MrPI creates a log file, quote it in 'code' tags please.

Last edited by knc1; 05-03-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #2489
erehwon

Quote:
If the serial number begins with '9' then we need to see the first six characters, you can see why when you look at the serial number -> nickname table.
The first six characters of the serial are '90DD07'

Quote:
Which version of the customer firmware did you install? (step #7)
I installed the 5.8.7 (following 'customer_KT2_5.8.7_update' link of the spoiler)

Quote:
MrPI creates a log file, quote it in 'code' tags please.
Here it is:
Code:
Package 'Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin' (linkss 0.24.N I WARIO) is not targeting your device [DD vs. D4 5A D5 D6 D7 D8 F2 17 60 62 5F C6 13 54 53 0G1], skipping . . . :(
Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #2490
knc1
Going Viral

Did you get that install file out of the archive listed here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Edit: No, you didn't, look at the filename below vs. the filename that you used (yours was packaged with an older version of Kindletool).

Because it looks to me as if that one is packaged to include your model:
Code:
 kindletool convert --info Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.bin
Checking update package 'Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FD04 (Versionless [vls])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     18446744073709551615
Devices        32
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi Japan
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Canada
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Russia
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Japan
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (4GB) International
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) Europe
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB)
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) Canada
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) Brazil
Device         Kindle Basic (2014)
Device         Kindle Basic (2014) Australia
Device         Kindle Voyage WiFi
Device         Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G Japan
Device         Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G Mexico
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G Japan
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G Canada
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G Mexico
Device         White Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi
Device         White Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi+3G Japan
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle Basic 2 (2016)
Device         White Kindle Basic 2 (2016)
Critical       0
Padding Byte   0 (0x00)
MD5 Hash       097a0daf7050b2e2f2cbb8feae54c43c
Metadata       0
The package strings for the "Kindle Basic" devices are off by 1, but those in the listing above are just informational, not determinate of the operation.

Edit 2:
I took the spoiler off of the "Release Policy" section of the jailbreak in the hopes that more people will read it.

Last edited by knc1; 05-03-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch