Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
jcpj_ca
Edge User

Downloading the Ermine update file

All is well in the update process up to the point where the device is downloading the update file. What is happening is that it is very slow over my work wireless and it never completes. It get to a point lets say 50% and then it starts over. It has done this about 3 times each at a different percentage. I let this run for about an hour. I tried one time when it started over to shut down the device and start over.

It would start up normally i would launch update and you would get the expected prompts. I would start the download again. It has been 20 minutes and if you pull down the top bar to see what is going 0n this is what you see...
(No Service)

Ongoing
Download in progress:
xx % [ xx is a number that incidents] on the far right is the time the download Started.

Any Ideas.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpj_ca View Post
All is well in the update process up to the point where the device is downloading the update file. What is happening is that it is very slow over my work wireless and it never completes. It get to a point lets say 50% and then it starts over. It has done this about 3 times each at a different percentage. I let this run for about an hour. I tried one time when it started over to shut down the device and start over.

It would start up normally i would launch update and you would get the expected prompts. I would start the download again. It has been 20 minutes and if you pull down the top bar to see what is going 0n this is what you see...
(No Service)

Ongoing
Download in progress:
xx % [ xx is a number that incidents] on the far right is the time the download Started.

Any Ideas.

Sounds like you need to set your WiFi to Never Turn Off. Check this out:

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ingo-to-Ermine

Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
jcpj_ca
Edge User

I used the tip for widgets and the display and wifi are set to Never Turn Off.
It finally downloaded an update...the update started at 5:52PM which is after I left work.

When I came in this morning I could see that "An update is ready to install" I tapped on it and it asked me " Do you want to install this update" I tapped yes. The device went to boot screen.
1. I got one dot
2. I got two dots ...with a flashing dash i the upper left corner.
3 Blank Screen
4. Boot screen with it going from one to four dots. Just like a normal boot up.

But when I checked the version number it still displayed Ver 1.6.

I was certain to check the website before I started that the support indicated that I was part of the BETA program.

Is it possible that it needed to do a 1.6 Dingo update before the 2.2 Ermine update or did the update fail.

I went to the launcher and chose update and it said an update was available. I am now back where I started downloading an update.

How do you know what update file has been downloaded before you start the install? Where do I go to see the file name?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

You don't get to see/find that update file; but, many of us have had that experience and had to run the update process several times.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Filark
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpj_ca View Post
Is it possible that it needed to do a 1.6 Dingo update before the 2.2 Ermine update or did the update fail.
It is indeed possible that you had to do a Dingo update first.

Hope you got through the whole process in the end! By the way, I was surprised at how many times the Ermine update seemed to "finish" and then restart before it was finally done. I just watched and it kept going and eventually . . . a whole new PE!!

Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
jcpj_ca
Edge User

Well here are results for second download attempt.

I started at 8:00 am and it restarted several times. The 9:11am download ran until 11:04 with a successful download. After the install which seemed to reboot several times but still ended up with Dingo 1.6 Build 2.6.29. I am now on download #3. As I see from the posts it is not uncommon to have to do the download and install 5 or 6 times. How FRUSTRATING!

I wish they could just let us do this the same way [off a flash drive] as you downgrade to 1.6. They must be afraid that someone will upload the 2.2 file to a file sharing site.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
jcpj_ca
Edge User

I achieved SUCCESS last night at about 7PM PST. It only took two downloads to work. The first put me once again to Dingo 1.6 Build 2.6.29. The second one, right after the initial boot up screen, went to a screen very much like the initial startup screen from out of the box. It looks like a Large picture frame with a horizontal bar through the center.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
johnseeking
Edge User

It took me two nights (and several free wi-fi hotspots) to finally get BOTH downloads. Frustrating as all get-out, but the results are well-worth it.