Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-05-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
Keyboard problem: Missing the first stroke of a word too often

I had this problem on Note Air and Note3 and it is present with both Android keyboard and GBoard.

When I am typing as fast as I can, it occurs regularly, almost in every annotation, that after hitting space bar the first stroke/touch for the following word is not being registered/represented. That means after space bar the next word very often misses the first letter. Example: "This is very good" appears as "This is ery ood".

I have tested this many times, not hitting the key sufficiently is not the cause. It only happens after hitting the space bar.

Turning off completely Text correction in Settings of Gboard has not solved the problem. Could the long-press switches in Preferences (the two options at the bottom) have something to do with it (turned off Symbols and left Key long-press delay in default)?

Previously used Note1 and the Android keyboard and I did not have this problem there. It is true that it was laggy and slow but I noticed that if I wrote a complete rather long sentence without any typing error, the whole sentence would appear correctly with a short lag. It saved the strokes but needed some time to process and represent. That was perfectly fine for me.

Has anyone experienced the same issue of missing the first letters as I have? Do you have any suggestions to solve this problem?
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Mmm, maybe try using a USB keyboard. I believe that you can set a check box so that the on-screen display still appears with a hard keyboard. No, that's not a solution, merely an experiment into getting some more insight.

You can also go to Developer settings and click "Show coordinates" (or whatever it's called). You can type some letters and figure out the coordinates. You can write a batch file or a script to "adb shell input tap 123 456". Then you can characterize what's going on.

You can also try "adb shell input text 'This is very good'".

Last edited by Renate; 11-05-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2021, 05:40 AM   #3
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
I am having more typing errors after upgrading to android 9 on the Note Pro.

In the first instance I even had problems turning pages: I kept selecting words instead. I alleviated that issue by increasing the time to differentiate between a tap and a hold. I think I had to install the app _Android hidden settings_, because Onyx Boox has disabled the normal link.

So typing on the stock android keyboard generates too many errors. With Microsoft swiftkey that is better. My problem with typing is now that a lot of the time spaces aren't registered properly. So my words tend to grow rather long and I am seeing very short sentences with obviously badly spelled words.
When I press on the right side of the space bar it seems to go better.

This month I expect firmware 3.2 to be rolled out, so maybe it's better after...

I really was better of with android 6 with both the pen and touch input.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
I think I had to install the app _Android hidden settings_, because Onyx Boox has disabled the normal link.
If you have ADB (but not necessarily rooted) you can access the stock settings:
Code:
C:\>adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Maybe that's because there are gestures at the bottom edge? So it thinks you want to do a gesture, then the gesture delay time out, but it misses the spacebar anyway. Try disabling them to see if that's the culprit.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2021, 04:41 AM   #6
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Maybe that's because there are gestures at the bottom edge? So it thinks you want to do a gesture, then the gesture delay time out, but it misses the spacebar anyway. Try disabling them to see if that's the culprit.
Nice one! I'll try.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I get this a lot with onscreen keyboards with e-ink, on nook and onyx. I often end up hitting the keys to one side or above. it's a pain. i try to make sure i hit the bottom edge of the screen when i hit the space bar. one of these days i'll create my keyboard layout, with cursor arrows too.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:18 AM   #8
Markismus
Guru

Disabling the gestures helps with the space bar.
However, I still have trouble with the page turns/selecting words. Still hoping an optimal tap speed setting is out there.