Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
gilali
Connoisseur
gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOBO Libra + H2Ov2 + Aura2
Thumbs up [solved] KSM9 on Kobo Libra: OK with DIY method, waiting a next classic support

Hello,
I have the last new device from Kobo, and i want to install KSM.
Can you help me / drive me to make KSM09 to be supported by Libra ?
both unsuccessfull.
  • With the Forma KSM9 release :
    Screen orientation is landscape. Very bad touch response with random result. Then screen orientation become portrait.
    Wifi and usbnet : OK
    web RMC server: Not started and unable to start it without touch response.
  • With the update 001 : Same screen orientation (landscape). NO any touch response. Wifi and usbnet : OK, RMC server OK.
Warning : Don't try update 001 after forma release before doing a factory reset. I do it, and then the device alway reboots in loop with the message "please handle your update files" "
KSM=>Nickel=>KSM=> etc...
RMC save me. With command line, i manage to delete koboroot.tgz.

=> So i'm ready to do betatests with you

Thanks for help, I'm impatient to play with my new ereader

Last edited by gilali; 10-05-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: solved
gilali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
gilali
Connoisseur
gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gilali solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

I did it

For Kobo libra, you have to install Forma ksm09 provided by elim

And edit the file :
/adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh
line 30 change
Code:
export ksmrotate=0
to
Code:
export ksmrotate=1
That's all

BUT, i was unable to edit this file and i took the hard way :
  1. Download and extract ksm09 Forma release
  2. Download and extract pbchess_2019.02.05_kobo (last release)
  3. Move vlasovsoft folder into mnt\onboard\.adds (this step to activate sftp & ssh)
  4. built a new KoboRoot.tgz
  5. In Nickel OS, plug usb and copy KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo folder
  6. At the ksm menu, touch the screen to prevent nickel start timeout
  7. Connect to the libra by ssh (login/password : root/[blank])
  8. edit ksmhome.sh with vi command
  9. reboot device

And enjoy KSM09
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Congratulations!
I am just curious: How can it be that you were unable to edit /adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh on your pc? On the other hand you were able to unpack and repack KoboRoot.tgz, and then edit ksmhome.sh on the device.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
gilali
Connoisseur

Thank you It's my hard way

NOT unable to edit /adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh on my pc. I mean unable to edit directly on the device. I tried ssh or telnet unsuccessfully without dropbear. And more, I did not know yet that it was this file to edit. My first goal was just to connect on the device

I didn't tell you how many tries and factory resets i did before understanding which file to edit and how.

I am quite happy today because in the same day, I made ksm and pbchess Libra compatible.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilali View Post
Thank you It's my hard way

NOT unable to edit /adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh on my pc. I mean unable to edit directly on the device. I tried ssh or telnet unsuccessfully without dropbear. And more, I did not know yet that it was this file to edit. My first goal was just to connect on the device

I didn't tell you how many tries and factory resets i did before understanding which file to edit and how.

I am quite happy today because in the same day, I made ksm and pbchess Libra compatible.
I see, you made the changes in pbchess by adding the LIBRA stuff. I would have hoped you did this (adding instead of overwriting) for KSM too. But the forma package was not a good point to start from anyway.
Have fun with your libra!
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
gilali
Connoisseur

You're right. I'm not very proud either. Happy but not proud.
I'll will try to fix it today... properly, starting from KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001.zip
Let's go to erase my Libra !
Old 10-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I'll will try to fix it today... properly, starting from KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001.zip
Don't rush into it. Enjoy your Libra as it is now. I will try to give you some pointers how to start this evening (if I have a chance). You can use the Forma package, and do the changes there. What I meant to say is that the Forma package is not a good model for how to modify KSM to make it work for newer models too.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Elim Garak
Elim Garak
Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Touch/Glo/GloHD/Aura/AuraE2/AuraH2O/AuraH2O-E2/AuraONE/ClaraHD/Forma
Smile

Quote:
I did it

For Kobo libra, you have to install Forma ksm09 provided by elim

And edit the file :
/adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh
line 30 change
Code:
export ksmrotate=0
to
Code:
export ksmrotate=1
That's all
Thank you @gilali

I've taken your rotation for KSM and the Vlasovsoft launcher into this KSM9-KoboRoot.tgz.

Only the right touch driver of the Cr3 must be set in .adds / vlasovsoft / launcher.sh.

KBStartMenu_09_Libra_H2O_test.zip was tested by me on two Kobo libra.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	174031   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	174032   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	174033   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	174034  
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBStartMenu_09_Libra_H2O_test.zip (7.83 MB, 263 views)
File Type: zip vlasovsoft Launcher.sh.zip (1.4 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by Elim Garak; 10-06-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Elim Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
gilali
Connoisseur

hehe, thanks you Elim
it's cool
Old 10-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #10
gilali
Connoisseur

Quote:
I've not succeeded to obtain the same result starting from update001 package
Even with file comparaison beetween versions, trying to understand what's (tf) wrong.

Going back to the elim package.

By the way it's weird : I thought that you starts from update001 to make your Forma package. But I saw some entries for Nova (claraHD) then they are missing from the update001 package.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #11
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I've not succeeded to obtain the same result starting from update001 package
Even with file comparaison beetween versions, trying to understand what's (tf) wrong.

Going back to the elim package.

By the way it's weird : I thought that you starts from update001 to make your Forma package. But I saw some entries for Nova (claraHD) then they are missing from the update001 package.
I think you will better understand when you know the history:
  • 1) It started with KBStartMenu_09.zip
  • 2) KSM09_update001.zip was provided to be applied to KBStartMenu_09.zip to solve a screen rotation problem with H2O and some minor stuff
  • 3) I removed KBStartMenu_09.zip, and provided instead KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001.zip (which is KBStartMenu_09.zip with KSM09_update001.zip already applied)
  • 4) KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001.zip became the basis for developing the Clara HD version, apart from the adaptations for clara HD, nightmode was added. The package was then provided by CH23 with the name KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001_and_nightmode.zip.
  • 5) I provided update_ids.zip to adapt KSM to some further models
  • 6) Elim Garak merged update_ids.zip with KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001_and_nightmode.zip, and replaced/added the mouse/touch-drivers (and some other libs) with newer versions (from pbchess_2019.02.05_kobo.zip) and provided the resulting package KBStartMenu_09_forma_test.zip.
The above sequence of events does however not explain everything, at least to me. I have to admit I don't know why for instance, Elim Garak uses and older version of usr\local\Kobo\udev\usb than CH23.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard

I start listing things I would propose to do when preparing an updated version of KSM 9 (based on KBStartMenu_09_forma_test.zip:

in etc/init.d/rcS
Modify the "case $MODEL_NUMBER in ..." block:
  • distinguish between libKoboTS.so, libKoboTS_h2o.so and libKoboTS_h2o2.so instead of only libKoboTS.so and libKoboTS_h2o2.so
  • add the values for Forma and Libra

Add Forma and Libra data to the "case $PRODUCT in ..." block

If you are still interested, I will add further steps as soon as I have a chance.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
gilali
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I think you will better understand when you know the history:
  • 1) It started with KBStartMenu_09.zip
  • 2) KSM09_update001.zip was provided to be applied to KBStartMenu_09.zip to solve a screen rotation problem with H2O and some minor stuff
  • 3) I removed KBStartMenu_09.zip, and provided instead KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001.zip (which is KBStartMenu_09.zip with KSM09_update001.zip already applied)
  • 4) KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001.zip became the basis for developing the Clara HD version, apart from the adaptations for clara HD, nightmode was added. The package was then provided by CH23 with the name KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001_and_nightmode.zip.
  • 5) I provided update_ids.zip to adapt KSM to some further models
  • 6) Elim Garak merged update_ids.zip with KBStartMenu_09_plus_update_001_and_nightmode.zip, and replaced/added the mouse/touch-drivers (and some other libs) with newer versions (from pbchess_2019.02.05_kobo.zip) and provided the resulting package KBStartMenu_09_forma_test.zip.
The above sequence of events does however not explain everything, at least to me. I have to admit I don't know why for instance, Elim Garak uses and older version of usr\local\Kobo\udev\usb than CH23.
what an adventure ! many branches of opensource. I understand better now.

Quote:
I have to admit I don't know why for instance, Elim Garak uses and older version of usr\local\Kobo\udev\usb than CH23
Maybe will we have the chance to get Elim's explanation?

For your KSM9 update project, I'm OK to do some test on my device following your steps. (on Libra, and for now my AuroH2Oed2v1 before resell, and maybe KoboAura_Ed2)

Before starting, we should list everything that differentiates 2 kobos model in the conf, to put them in a single conf file : For instance quickly :
Product Name
Frontlight, yes/no
Frontlight driver : xxx
Wifi : yes/no
Wifi driver : xxx
Native screen res
Mouse driver :xxx
Multitouch yes/no
TurnPage Button : yes/no
fbrotate=
ksmrotate=

So, each new device will be easier to add.
Only one file to edit.

But it looks like more a major update, closer of a ksm 10 than a KSM_09_update002