Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
tonyas
tonyas began at the beginning.

Device: e-book reader a121
JUST RECEIVED MY NEW E-READER-FROM CHINA

Well Hello, my name is Tony.

I am married, 43 years now that must qualify for something? Have one daughter & two grandchildren, they live in Brussels. I retired at the early age of 62 & used to work as an investigator in C&E, now part of the Revenue & before that was in the Royal Air Force for 31 years. Much of my recent work has been financially orientated.

I live in a nice village in the east of England.

I Like reading military history & particularly concentrate on the Peninsular War. I collect Folio Society books but buy them second-hand, as this is cheaper. I enjoy walking; I have even lost some weight since I retired.
I have recently volunteered to help out at our local library if the council transfers it to volunteers, we live in interesting times.

I have just bought an e-reader on eBay an 'e-book reader A121' only cost £37 with a nice free leather case. I have got it working but have yet to be able to download anything. I may ask for help later!....

This looks a nice friendly forum. Will write again later.

Regards Tony
tonyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Tony!

Let us know when you determine the brand of your eBook reader.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Tony and welcome to MobileRead. I used to live in Biggleswade in Beds and do miss the pubs.

If you like military history, you should try the Flashman series written by George MacDonald Fraser. Although they are fiction, they are very accurate accounts of momentous events in Victorian history (Charge of the Light Brigade, Sacking of the Summer Palace etc). They are very funny and very historically accurate.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

May I offer you a warm welcome to Mobileread Forums.

Have a browse around, you may have already discovered the Main Forum is laid out in a logical manner.

Everyone’s friendly, if you need any help, do ask around. Members with Green names are the hard-working Moderators…(they don’t bite, just keep the rest of us safe.)

If you want a non-technical chat or three, pop into the Lounge .

check out our Wiki for other information ....

Please join in and enjoy your stay .....

After about a week, and at least 10 posts, you’ll be able to add a signature - now wouldn’t that be worth waiting for? (although check the guidelines).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Tony. Happy e-reading and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
hildetsj
hildetsj began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600 PRS
my goodness, 43 years!! that is something! was it easy to order from China? Somehow that is the country I never buy anything from....they have so much fake things and one time many years ago I did buy something there and the police send me a letter that I was doing illegal things and they would destroy what I bought or send me a fine....easy choice that was...anyway...do tell us more about how it goes with the reader
hildetsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
tonyas
tonyas began at the beginning.

Device: e-book reader a121
Thank all for you’re the very kind welcome to the forum.

GA I think determining the brand of my ‘e-reader’ may be a problem; it may well be a cloned copy/mixture. I just looked on ebay & there are now no more of the type I bought. As I was going to give a link to see what you thought, may I bother you with the description?
Description :

7 inch ebook reader
Audio player,Radio player,Bookmark function,Calendar function
*Display Type: powered by cPAPER technology
*7 inch 480*800 Pixels TFT screen
*support video format:AVI,FLV,WAV,WMA,RM,RMVB
*Support Music format: MP3,WMA,FLAC,AAC,OGG,APE
*Replay setting: once, single repeat, all one time, all repeat, audition
*Play setting: order, shuffle
*Audio: normal, Microsoft Audio,%2osition:bottom%7sic, Bass, Jazz
*Recording function
*Image view: support image format JPG, BMP, image to enlarge, image narrow
*Image rotation: support 0, 90, 180, 270 degree rotation
*Browsing history feature
*TXT text: support ANSI/UNICODE coding.
*FB2 text: support ANSI/UTF-8 coding
*HTML text: support ANSI/UTF-8 coding
*PDB text: support palm DOC format
*PDF text: support PDF version 1.3/1.4/1.5
*EPUB text: support OCF specification
*Bookmark function
*Browsing mode.: support manual mode and auto mode
*Auto flip function: support 10 sec, 30 sec, 50 sec, 80 sec, 100 sec and 120 sec
*Font Enlarging function
*Menu language: Simplified Chinese, English and traditional Chinese, English, Spanish/Japanese, Portuguese French South Korea/German, Dutch Italian, Malay, Turkish, Indonesia
*Support date and time
*Calendar function
*Auto shutdown time: support 3 min,5 min, 10 min, 15 min, 20 min and Auto shutdown off
*System restore function
*SNR: equal or more than 90dB
*Support software update
*TF card: build-in 4GB storage, support TF card external.(Max 16GB)
*The longest playing time: Audio 18 hours, video 6~7 hours
*Electronic book reading: about 12 hours, 3500 pages.
*Accessories: manual, charger
*Charger Specification: input AC100~240V 50/60Hz output: DC5.0~5.5V 500mA~1500mA
*interface Specification USB2.0(High Speed)
*Built-in Lithium battery(3.7V,2000mAh)

Sorry for length but that’s it. I must say it looks a well-made bit of kit, its reasonably heavy & of course has the nice free leather case. It has more memory than my 8-year-old PC.

Cassidym Thanks for the suggestion of Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. I remember reading one of his books quite a few years ago – I don’t now know why I didn’t like/carry on reading them, but now you have mentioned him I will certainly give him another go.
Have you read the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell? This is my particular area the peninsular war it won’t be too long before it is the bi-centenary of Waterloo. I have just given all my Sharpe books plus loads more to charity as have had to reduce my bookshelves. It is now a case of if I buy a book I must get rid of an old one – difficult to decide what to get rid of. It was this shortage of shelves, which prompted me to buy an e-reader & the potential thousands of free classic books there to download.

Hildetsj I understand your reservations about such a purchase from China I thought I might well be risking getting an item that did not operate as described, but the company has a good ‘feedback’ on ebay so I took a chance time will tell if I was correct or if I am later asking for advice on buying another e-reader.

Regards Tony
tonyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Indeed tonyas, welcome to MR.

Your device, from the specs, is more of a tablet device to me than a pure, dedicated ebook reader. Note the plentiful music and video format supports.

Nice!

Do enjoy it and for sure, lots of nice people around here who will try and help out if you need it.

lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Is this your reader? Its called a Noodle Color, got the image on images.google.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a121.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	73890  
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote