Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #436
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra2 - Kindle Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I'm sure they will answer all of them
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #437
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoriy View Post
Hi,
Can somebody compare between Kobo Aura One and Kobo Sage?

I am trying to understand if I have to buy Sage. I dont need a stylus.

Thanks
I don’t have my KA1 anymore but I can tell you that the Sage will feel a bit lighter not a lot though, the screen is significantly better in terms contrast (I went from the KA1 to the Forma to the Sage).

If you read in dark mode/inverted for any decent length of time the Sage is probably worth it. The extra 0.2 inches of screen won’t make a huge difference for how much text you can squeeze on, though if you’re determined with patches it’ll be noticeable.

It’s easier to hold in my opinion due to the button side wedge.

If your KA1 is starting to show signs of dying the Sage would be a good upgrade in virtually every aspect. The only thing that is objectively not an improvement would be battery life, though unless you’re likely to read for nearly 20hrs without being able to plug in the Sage I personally wouldn’t worry about it. Note that audiobooks obviously drain the battery significantly faster, I’ve not tested them but I’ve heard it’s around 4-5 hours. If you aren’t going to use audiobooks the ability to play them doesn’t otherwise impact battery life.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #438
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
In what way? Screen quality? Light quality? Weight? Ergonomics? Overall speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I'm sure they will answer all of them
Lol I tried it’s been awhile since I had my KA1, I gave it to an aunt shortly after getting the Forma when it launched (KA1 was also a launch purchase to give an idea of the time I used it for and how much Kobo has a direct link to my wallet).
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #439
yoriy
yoriy began at the beginning.

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
In what way? Screen quality? Light quality? Weight? Ergonomics? Overall speed?
Overall user experience, screen quality and battery capacity compare.
Thanks
yoriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #440
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.martinot could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilster View Post
I've got one ordered. I'm also a dedicated Aura ONE guy, but the battery is getting pretty wonky. The Sage seems like the closest I may come to the upgraded Aura ONE I hoped for, but we'll see.
I used to have a Aura One, but exchanged it for the Forma that I like better. I see that you also got a Forma; may I ask what you do not like about it?

I think the Sage looks really nice, but no too happy that it got so much heavier.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:30 AM   #441
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Libra H20, Elipsa, Sage
Question Available memory

Would somebody waiting for their Sage check what is the available memory out of the box?

I forgot to do that with mine, and I'm wondering whether or not it is similar to the Elipsa (28.2 Gb available/32 Gb total). The numbers for the Forma were 6.7 Gb/8 Gb, so that would be some 2.5 Gb eaten up I would guess more from the note taking capacity than from audio books, but what do I know.

Thanks.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:57 PM   #442
Sepelion
Sepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage
So, in developer mode, you can see in settings that it's really only running in single-core mode, as cpu's 1, 2, and 3 are unchecked (cpu 0 would be the first one, which naturally isn't selectable).

So, in that regard, you really aren't getting the battery drain due to multiple cores, you're still on a single-core device by default. They really need to do some optimizing. I'd heard that it uses all four cores when in note-taking mode (which explains why people say the battery drains even faster).

They should be able to get battery drain comparable to a forma if used in pure reading mode, but utilizing those four cores for actions like dictionary lookups, page turns, importing content. This is the reason people buy into the "now you have four cores instead of one" marketing, but seeing it is really just a single-core reader for all intents and purposes makes it possibly more reasonable for a pure reader to just get a forma.

I could sell you a corvette but limit the engine to prius mode and keep the gas consumption in corvette mode...

Last edited by Sepelion; 11-12-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Sepelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #443
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa & Sage
@Sepelion: FWIW, it's actually only onlining 3 cores in note taking mode. Last I checked, simply reading a note-aware document (e.g., KePub, PDF) was enough to enter that "yes, please murder my battery now" mode . This may have been fixed to only actually trigger on pen hover since.

I've limited us to two cores max in KOReader, and that only when importing metadata, and preloading PDF pages. Otherwise, it's single core, always (which doesn't really matter, as KOReader is heavily single threaded).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #444
Sepelion
Sepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Sepelion: FWIW, it's actually only onlining 3 cores in note taking mode. Last I checked, simply reading a note-aware document (e.g., KePub, PDF) was enough to enter that "yes, please murder my battery now" mode . This may have been fixed to only actually trigger on pen hover since.

I've limited us to two cores max in KOReader, and that only when importing metadata, and preloading PDF pages. Otherwise, it's single core, always (which doesn't really matter, as KOReader is heavily single threaded).
Does KOReader give noticeable battery drain reduction over stock nickel?
Sepelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #445
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa & Sage
Nope, we're quite likely more power hungry because we currently don't aggressively suspend while in use, unlike Nickel, which will suspend-with-the-lights-on as soon as after ~5s of inactivity (when it's unplugged and offline).

Sidebar: this is also why (most) page turns are god awfully slow in Nickel, as the resume obviously incurs a delay.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #446
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus
I'm working on getting through the 30 pages but does anyone have thoughts on the performance comparison of the Sage vs. Aura One? I have the A1 and it is pretty slow to start up, about 2.5-3x as long as my Oasis 3 and then it goes to the library rather than back to the book and page I was last on. I really like the font controls on the Kobo but would like faster.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote