Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2022, 11:53 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So then it isn't the fonts it is the ePub.

Throw this ePub on your Clara. See if you can change fonts on it. I'm at work and don't have access to Sigil or Calibre, but I don't believe StandardEbooks have specified fonts. So you should be able to switch them. At least then you will know that it isn't your Clara (and I am sure it is not).
StandardEbooks has seriously overly complicated code. Plus, some of the CSS code is no good when read an an ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:58 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
StandardEbooks has seriously overly complicated code. Plus, some of the CSS code is no good when read an an ePub.
And none of that matters for the purposes the book was used.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
And none of that matters for the purposes the book was used.
It's their overly complicated CSS that's causing the fonts not to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:29 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's their overly complicated CSS that's causing the fonts not to work.
That is obviously not true if you read the thread.

Also, that was five days ago and you contributed nothing whereas the StandardEbook showed the OP what the issue was. So you should probably just drop this.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:28 PM   #20
julian67
julian67 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydon3 View Post
So i got a Clara HD today, it has 4.25 firmware(2020) should i update it to the latest one? if not, why not?
I've upgraded my Clara HD regularly since I bought it about a year ago. No problems so far. All of my >2700 books are loaded via Calibre. Many are purchased Kindle books and others are purchased Kobo books. Others come from all kinds of places. I use Calibre to strip DRM and embedded fonts and convert everything to regular epub. Every upgrade of the Clara HD has been fine. I have tried koreader and nickel menu and so on, but in the end I'm happiest with regular Kobo firmware with no additions, and epubs stripped of DRM and embedded fonts. If you use your Kobo device with ebooks from multiple sources then removing embedded fonts is probably the single best thing you can do to ensure a uniform and pleasant reading experience.
julian67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert