Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
sk2003
Enthusiast
sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
How do I make a Kobo H2O SD Image?

Hi guys. New Kobo H2O owner here, all thanks to this forum! Anyway, before buying my Kobo, I was reading a lot of threads about Kobos bricking themselves spontaneously (after powering up) or because of software issues. Apparently the only way to fix this is by flashing or loading an "SD image" or onto the Kobo.

What does it mean to use an SD image? Can I make my own SD image? Why do people with SD images ask people to PM them for it? Can we create our own SD images from our working Kobos? Like Nandroid backups for Android devices via custom recoveries?

If so, how can I do it for mine?

Thanks!

I know people with a working knowledge of Linux and have access to Debian/Ubuntu, so if I have to use the terminal to copy the image off the internal SD card via a terminal, I can probably do that. But will doing so cause any harm to my Kobo?

Apparently the Kobo WebPortal tweak lets you download /dev/mmcblk0 without having to open up the device to copy the internal SD card, but is this guaranteed to give you the right files?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=262353

Last edited by sk2003; 01-28-2017 at 06:29 PM.
sk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The risk of a Kobo device spontaneously bricking itself is a lot less than you think. And that includes if you count the number of requests for images made here. Based on questions I've asked and the responses, a lot more of the devices can be rescued without opening them the posts suggests. And a significant number of those requests are because someone did something they shouldn't have.

From my experience, I have needed to restore an image three times now (plus a few times to experiment). Each of those times were because I did something stupid. Twice that was manually installing the wrong version on a device. I can't remember what the other one was, and I think that's because it would be more embarrassing. That experience is spread over my four devices and another six over the family. And five years. And it includes a lot of firmware updates.

Having said that, have a look at Memory Upgrade Mod Guide for instructions. They are for the Glo, but the steps and tools are the same. As to the web portal mode you linked to, I haven't tried it. But, uses something that frostschutz wrote a while ago and there have been several reports of success with it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
sk2003
Enthusiast
sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The risk of a Kobo device spontaneously bricking itself is a lot less than you think. And that includes if you count the number of requests for images made here. Based on questions I've asked and the responses, a lot more of the devices can be rescued without opening them the posts suggests. And a significant number of those requests are because someone did something they shouldn't have.

From my experience, I have needed to restore an image three times now (plus a few times to experiment). Each of those times were because I did something stupid. Twice that was manually installing the wrong version on a device. I can't remember what the other one was, and I think that's because it would be more embarrassing. That experience is spread over my four devices and another six over the family. And five years. And it includes a lot of firmware updates.

Having said that, have a look at Memory Upgrade Mod Guide for instructions. They are for the Glo, but the steps and tools are the same. As to the web portal mode you linked to, I haven't tried it. But, uses something that frostschutz wrote a while ago and there have been several reports of success with it.
Thank you for the in-depth answer, davidfor!

I'd like to try the WebPortal soon, if possible. But considering I haven't even used the e-reader to read a single book yet... it sure does seem like overkill, but I'm an overly paranoid person. Having rooted/jailbroken a lot of Android phones, tablets, iPhones and iPods in the past, I'd love to be able to get to the root files of my Kobo as well.

Say, davidfor, can you send me the image for the Kobo Aura H2O, please? I promise not to share it anywhere or with anyone, in case you're concerned! The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to have it just in case something goes horribly wrong and I have to fix the internal SD. I'm planning on modifying my Kobo heavily starting from now, so it'd be a good thing to have.

Anyway, you do great work on the forum, and I wish I could contribute like you devs do!
sk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Getting the image from David is certainly the safest way!
Since you did already install KSM, I link to my KSM specific description how to copy the internal sd via wifi or usbnet onto the pc. You need to have telnet access to the device. Links concerning telnet, usbnet etc., you can find on the first post of the KSM 8 thread.

Last edited by tshering; 01-29-2017 at 07:28 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #6
lanzwqs
lanzwqs began at the beginning.

Device: h2o
Could you send h2o sd image to me?
Thanks
lanzwqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:07 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

And for anyone who finds this thread, please posts requests for the Aura H2O image in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=248214.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
tibree
tibree began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
aura h2o image

hello i need kobo aura h2o image for put a new sd card in ma ereader thanks
tibree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:38 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:08 AM   #10
zhangheihei
zhangheihei began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo:AuraH2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.
Hello Davidfor!
I Kobo H2O inside SD card is damaged,i ready change new SD card in my Kobo H2O,but i not original SD images, could you share Kobo H2O SD image for me ?Thanks。
zhangheihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:20 AM   #12
mastermmon88
mastermmon88 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO aura H2O
Good afternoon Davidfor,

Hope all is good!

I'm troubleshooting a Kobo Aura H2O and only thing left is to flash the internal SD card.

Could you please provide me an iso image?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Mastermoon
mastermmon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #14
mastermmon88
mastermmon88 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO aura H2O
Flash Aura image

Good evening Davidfor and thanks for the image.

Suspecting a bad SD card i just flash the image you gave me and sill no go

I have a latent image of the last book on the screen, a message " Turned Off" and the percentage the book was read to.

When a press the power on button the led will lit for some seconds and after goes off, no changes on the screen. No response to usb cable connection to the PC.

Hard reseat with the button as no effect.
Full power drain of the mother board done.
Reseat all motherboard connection done.

Any idea or can I give it as dead ?

Thanks for your much appreciated help with this issue!

Best regards,
mastermoon
mastermmon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermmon88 View Post
Good evening Davidfor and thanks for the image.

Suspecting a bad SD card i just flash the image you gave me and sill no go

I have a latent image of the last book on the screen, a message " Turned Off" and the percentage the book was read to.

When a press the power on button the led will lit for some seconds and after goes off, no changes on the screen. No response to usb cable connection to the PC.

Hard reseat with the button as no effect.
Full power drain of the mother board done.
Reseat all motherboard connection done.

Any idea or can I give it as dead ?

Thanks for your much appreciated help with this issue!
Does the screen look damaged at all? If there are any cracks or other affects, then it is probably damages. Sometimes it is easier to see the cracks from the back back of the screen.

Does the screen light ever come on? That is a sign of how far it is booting. If it does, and the screen is damaged, it might actually be booting completely. In that case, it will be prompting you to do the setup. If we knew were to tap on the screen, it might be possible to get the PC to see the device. But, the PC will not see the device until it is put into the USB connection mode.

What do you mean by "Hard reseat with the button"? If you just pressed the pinhole reset button, all that does is to forcibly restart the device. It doesn't do anything if the device is off. It doesn't trigger a factory reset. You can try the actual factory reset which is the last method on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Reset:_Aura_H2O.

On thing you can use the pinhole reset for is pushing it after the power LED goes off. If the LED flash again, it is restarting the device. If it doesn't, it means the device turned off.

One thing I am not sure of is if you used a new SD card. Your statement about this isn't clear. If you aren't using a new card, you should try one. You can use a larger card and resize the book partition later to use it all all. If it was a failing SD card that caused the original problem, it could still be causing this.

Lastly, but probably should have been earlier, have you tried doing this with the device plugged in? Your symptoms do match a battery that no longer holds charge. If it starts when plugged, then it is probably the battery. And you should never assume the battery is charged when the device isn't responding. It could be that whatever the problem was ran the battery out.