Notices

Old 01-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Magnet for sleep/wake feature ?

Hi to All,

I am attempting to transform a cover for my Kobo Clara HD which does not have the sleep/wake feature by adding a magnet to the cover.

I wonder if someone could indicate where I might be able to buy an appropriate flat magnet ?

I'm thinking of using nano tape to fix it to the inside of the cover and to add a sheet of felt to protect the screen.

Thanks for any advice!
Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Maybe a moderately strong fridge magnet?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
It's trickier than it seems. If the magnet is too strong, then the sensor in the Kobo will detect it even when the cover is folded back, thinking the cover is closed when in fact it is open.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:41 AM   #4
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Beware. A bad settled magnet can harm the device.
Moreover it is widely stated on many threads that magnet covers bring about battery drain (but maybe this second issue was solved through the recent firmware releases)
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
The battery drain is real. I bought an after-market cover for the Clara. That cover had a kick stand that was held closed by a magnet when not in use. That magnet was in a bad spot and drained the battery. Had to stop using that cover.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #6
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
My advice: just go buy this exact one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FC9JXHQ

It works flawlessly, has no battery-drain issue, and feels great in the hand. Unlike some other third-party covers (I've tried several), it has a nicely rounded, rather than sharply crimped, edge, so it doesn't dig into your palm, and unlike some other third-party covers, it has no exposed metal plate. This is the best third-party cover I've had for ANY Kobo, and I've had many different models. I've been using it for fourteen months now, and it's showing zero signs of wear.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you for this advice but I'm only looking for the magnet, not a whole case!

It would seem more difficult than I thought. I had not considered the problem of a magnet that might be too strong!

Has no one ever made their own sleep/wake case ?
Old 01-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, but it's very difficult to get right. Screen protection is a big issue. So now I buy one, usually about €10 / $12 / £9 or less.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
Rojofo
Zealot

I actually have a commercial wake/sleep case but I wanted to try to make a more personal one of my own. The sourcing of the magnet seemed to me to be the most difficult part.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
FWIW, I have enjoyed using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...QT537F97&psc=1
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:37 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
I actually have a commercial wake/sleep case but I wanted to try to make a more personal one of my own. The sourcing of the magnet seemed to me to be the most difficult part.
https://www.amazingmagnets.com/

The commercial covers are probably/may be using a Neodymium magnet. A very tiny one. What RobertJSawyer said is very true, even the cover that Kobo sells makes mine go to sleep randomly when the cover is flipped to the back. See if Amazing Magnets still sells their assortment package of different sizes.

Just for fun I had 3 disc Neodymium magnets about the size of a nickel holding an 8 or 10 inch cast iron skillet on the door of my fridge. They are amazingly strong. Nearly impossible to separate when you get two together.

Last edited by hobnail; 01-27-2021 at 06:42 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Why not just buy the cheapest cover with a magnet, just cut it open and you have the correct magnet for your personal cover. By the time you try various magnets, run into minimum orders (100 minimum is common from what I've seen), you'll be spending $9-$10 anyway, same as a case.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
Thank you for this advice but I'm only looking for the magnet, not a whole case!

It would seem more difficult than I thought. I had not considered the problem of a magnet that might be too strong!

Has no one ever made their own sleep/wake case ?
It has been discussed before, just not for a while. Or very often. There are just to many cases available to make it worthwhile to do it. And I'm not sure if anyone who did it was happy with the result.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:01 AM   #14
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Moreover it is widely stated on many threads that magnet covers bring about battery drain (but maybe this second issue was solved through the recent firmware releases)
This was discussed at length in this thread.

I believe it was fixed in an update.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:27 AM   #15
Rojofo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
https://www.amazingmagnets.com/

The commercial covers are probably/may be using a Neodymium magnet. A very tiny one. What RobertJSawyer said is very true, even the cover that Kobo sells makes mine go to sleep randomly when the cover is flipped to the back. See if Amazing Magnets still sells their assortment package of different sizes.

Just for fun I had 3 disc Neodymium magnets about the size of a nickel holding an 8 or 10 inch cast iron skillet on the door of my fridge. They are amazingly strong. Nearly impossible to separate when you get two together.
Thank you, Hobnail, for this information and for the link.