Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
How can I make my Forma auto power off after 24 hours of no taps or button presses?

Hello, My Forma is a 3-week-old baby, and I love it so much. I spend so much time looking at her and picking her up whenever I am -- in line, lying down, in the bathroom, in the bus.

I think I'm ready to enhance her now in the form of patches/tweaks.

First thing I'd like to do is extend the "Automatically Power Off After" period to something longer than 60 minutes. (60 minutes is the longest period available in the Settings). Is there a patch/tweak that will auto power off my Forma after 24 hours of no taps/button-presses?

Last edited by droopy; 09-02-2019 at 07:24 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dear droopy. Do you have to keep asking the same basic question over and over.

The simple answer is you can not. The timer is in minutes to a maximum of 255
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the first time I'm posting this question in this Dev subforum . Sorry, I thought I'd get a Dev response here that I wouldn'tget in the main Kobo forum

Last edited by droopy; 09-03-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
It's not difficult with a simple bash script:

Code:
shutdown +1440
You have to ssh into the Kobo, write the script, make it executable and put it at startup. Search for ssh into Kobo and how to put a script at boot.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

Hi Lucas,
This will override whatever is set in the "Energy Settings” (”Automaticallyvpower off after”), yes?

Will it be a problem if I go to that settings page after installing what you've advised?
Advert
Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, the issue wasn't "how to shutdown in 24h", the issue was "how to shutdown after 24h of *inactivity*".

AFAICT, the only thing this'll achieve is forcing a shutdown after roughly 24h of *uptime*.

EDIT: Also, Kobo doesn't actually ship shutdown ;p. But the point still stands even if you replace it with something they do.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-03-2019 at 06:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
That script will do a shutdown 24 hours from whenever the script was executed, regardless of whether or not the device has been used during that period.

So if I run it at 2 pm Saturday, when I'm busy reading at 1:59 pm Sunday the device would turn off at 2:00 pm Sunday.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
More or less, depending on how the glibc decides to handle sleep() if there's a suspend along the way, but that's arguably nitpicking territory ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
droopy
Guru

Hi Lucas,
Niluje and peterT are right.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I don't think the request makes much sense though, at least as far as battery life goes. Just suspend after some 30-60 minutes unless you're not going to use it for at least two weeks. And in that case it'd be pretty bizarre to wait 24 hours to do it.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
droopy
Guru

Frenzie,
I don't understand what you're proposing.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I don't think the request makes much sense though, at least as far as battery life goes. Just suspend after some 30-60 minutes unless you're not going to use it for at least two weeks. And in that case it'd be pretty bizarre to wait 24 hours to do it.
I think you misunderstand. The request is that the device powers off after 24 hours sleep. Personally, I'd like to see 3 days for my "spare" ereaders. That way they will wake quickly when I am testing something, but, won't run the battery completely down when I leave them alone.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #13
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think you misunderstand. The request is that the device powers off after 24 hours sleep.
That makes sense, although 24 hours seems rather short for that.

I straced Nickel some more but I didn't see anything that seemed relevant. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree; maybe it's that Pickel thing doing something sneaky?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #14
droopy
Guru

For me 24 hours of inactivity is perfect.
Because I tend to read everyday. If I don't read everyday, it probably means something is up, and I want the battery to be saved.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
That makes sense, although 24 hours seems rather short for that.
Which is sort of what I said. But, the request was 24 hours. And the likelihood of getting 24 hours, or maybe 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds is higher than getting a longer time.
Quote:
I straced Nickel some more but I didn't see anything that seemed relevant. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree; maybe it's that Pickel thing doing something sneaky?
I'm not sure what you are looking for. From memory, the syslog will show the timer being set when the device sleeps.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote