Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle Reading Component Update

I'm curious there has been a few reports in the app thread that a few Kindle Fires have received an update with the new Kindle reading app interface.

Have you gotten an update yet? If so which Kindle Fire do you have? I'm asking for myself and a ton of other nervous ladies who hate the new app look on their non Fire. (I love the new look, they don't)

I haven't been updated but I think probably my Kindle Fire 6 is the only eligible one I own.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just turned on my HD6 and System Update shows 12 system component updates ready to install. They don’t bother to give any details of which components are getting update, and the component details do not include the date on which they were installed or updated, so I did a side by side comparison to see what was newer on HD8:

Amazon GameCircle
Amazon Kindle
Amazon Maps Platform Services V2 (*)
Appstore
Goodreads
Kindle Store
Shop Amazon
Silk Browser
Special Offers
SpeechUI
Storage Management
Unified Search
Video

(*) was higher build number on HD6

So if you leave out the (*) these are the 12 components.

I applied all of the updates, but Kindle version is still not 10.30 as on my HD8 (now it is 10.29 - not sure what it was before). The other 11 components are now identical. Kindle Books thumbnail is the same and the Close Book icon is not there. Guess will have to wait for another day.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-30-2017 at 12:38 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nothing on my KF6. Unless I'm doing it wrong. I hit the check for system updates button.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 10-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Kindle component is 10.29.238.1201499010

Sent from my XT1528
Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I also still have 10.29 on my Fire 5th gen. The rollout process takes time.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-30-2017 at 01:42 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Nothing on my KF6. Unless I'm doing it wrong. I hit the check for system updates button.

Sent from my XT1528
I did not have to tap Check for updates button. I just turned device on this morning and went to System Updates and the components update count started to go up until it was ‘12’.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
No update on the hd6 or hd8 (1st Gen)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Got another component update this morning (no idea which), but Kindle app is still unchanged.

Another component showed up this afteroon, Kindle app is now 10.30.188_1201698810. New app tile and the ‘close book’ icon, consistent with later generation Fire tablets.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-31-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
On my fire hdx 8.9 4th gen, there were about 3 attempts to upgrade the kindle reader app; failed each time with, I think, error code 505. The reader app is at 10.29.238.

The kindle reader no longer works now as it just displays a blank page for a few seconds & then back to the home page.

I tried the "Mayday", got connected & answered by someone, twice, but I don't know how to reply (alexa is turned off). Will try to find out how and/or try to get the upgrade again.

Not too much of a loss as I also have Calibre Companion installed.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 10.30.188_1201698810 finally showed up for me as a component update today.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Version 10.30.188_1201698810 finally showed up for me as a component update today.
Which Fire?

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Mine just showed up and now my KF6 is messed up. I put it on the charger. I'm going to do a factory reset once done. I'm sure it's the database. It needs to be rebuilt. I'm hoping for faster speed. I'll let you know.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Which Fire?
The Fire 5th gen tablet.

----

If anyone else is waiting for this update:

I don't know whether or not the APKs are compatible across tablet models, but it may be possible to side load the new version if you do not want to wait for it to show up as a component update. From looking at the Android system log I was able to find that it downloaded the APK for version 10.30.188_1201698810 from:

https://amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net/ob...1201698810.apk
Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Mine just showed up and now my KF6 is messed up. I put it on the charger. I'm going to do a factory reset once done. I'm sure it's the database. It needs to be rebuilt. I'm hoping for faster speed. I'll let you know.

Sent from my XT1528
tablet users' first rule: Power OFF, wait a few seconds, power on.

Got reminded of that from Kindle support for my Fire HDX 8.9 4th gen.

After powered up, my fire defaulted(?) to airplane on & wifi off. After changing the config to airplane OFF & wifi ON, my books returned. Did get a msg when powering on that said 'optimizing' something....

Info may be too late for not going thru the reset to factory hassle.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Oh it was absolutely necessary. If you have a large library a reset will probably be necessary after the Kindle update. The database needs to rebuild. Also you get a newer build of firmware and all the updates. No more audio companion icons not showing up. No more old outdated copies of books. It's all fixed now with the new Kindle update but only after you do a reset.

Sent from my Nexus 7