Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #31
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I've been having sync issues with my Aura One since 8842 so I had shut off auto-sync. Seeing these two new update threads, I decided to try manually syncing again. The first time trying to sync, it found the new 8945 update, installed that, rebooted, and seemed to sync everything. But after it finished downloading new stuff, the sync icon still kept spinning. I canceled and tried syncing again with no luck.

Giving up on that, I started looking around for changes and discovered the Overdrive settings page said I was signed out -- although it still showed my library there. After signing back in with my library card, it synced! Manually syncing now works with or without having wifi enabled first. And worked fine after powering off and back on as well. Reassured by all this, I've turned nightly auto-syncing back on. I'm optimistic that I'll wake up to a fresh sync instead of a drained battery.

Possibly signing back in to Overdrive was a coincidence. Maybe it was the update, and I just wasn't patient enough. Maybe it was both. Anyone else with sync problems on the Aura One have Overdrive set up?
Interesting. You may be on to something. I still had the same sync issue after updating to the latest firmware.

Here are my observations:
1) First I changed my affiliate in the config file from Kobo to rakutenbooks. Syncing worked again, but I realized that version didn't have Overdrive support.
2) Then I changed it back to Kobo. I confirmed the syncing problems were back again.
3) Then I changed it to KoboIndigo. I did have to log into Overdrive again. Syncing is working like normal.
4) Out of curiosity I just changed it back to Kobo after reading your post. Syncing is now working again like normal.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #32
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Syncing is now working again like normal.
Good to hear! Yes, I'm pretty sure Overdrive was the culprit for me. When it was getting stuck on syncing, it would still download new purchases and Pocket articles. But now I realize it wasn't updating my library books. After I signed back into Overdrive, it downloaded previews for a couple books that had expired. So that's what it must have been getting hung up on. They need something that asks if you want to sign in now or complete sync without Overdrive items.

ETA: Or, you know, not kick you out of Overdrive unless you actually signed out -- which I would hope lets Kobo's servers know.

Last edited by lkmiller; 03-09-2017 at 11:14 AM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
You sure about that David? I just now updated my H2O and it did the same thing. It was on 4.2.8432, it first updated to 4.3.8842 and as soon as it came up with 4.3.8842 it immediately started downloading another update and sure enough it was on 4.3.8945 after the second install and restart. I don't see how it can be a timing issue when the same thing has happened 12 hours later. I don't know if it is meant to be a two step process or Kobo has something on the update servers setup wrong but it is working as a two step process.
Add me to the list. My Aura HD has done the two-step upgrade after a factory reset for quite a few versions now and my KA1 just updated to 4.3.8842 and then to 4.3.8945 after an factory reset.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Kobo goes -months- without an update - people complain
Kobo goes -days- with multiple updates - people complain

Poor Kobo, can't make anyone happy
Those multiple updates are from them not thoroughly testing firmware. No one wants to be beta testers without opting in. It's unprofessional and they should know better. Just looking at how buggy the last updates have been they should be embarrassed releasing them to the public.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 03-09-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #35
gillrael
gillrael began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 912 - Kobo Aura One
After updating the firmware to this version, 4.3.8945, and enabled the patch "ENABLE NEW HOME SCREEN" every time at the start of the KA1 is always shown the picture below (it's in Italian).
sorry for the bad english
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20170309_182048.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	155545  
gillrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #36
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina Schein View Post
Today I have made the update on this new firmware. With version 4.3.8842 my H2O got the new Homescreen. With the current firmware, the reader now has the old Homescreen again.
Hi Martina,
Just in case I didn't clearly understand this...are you saying you received the New Home Screen with a previous FW update and then reverted to the Old Home Screen from this subsequent update on the same device?
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #37
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi guys,

Do you know if firmware 4.3.8945 brings something new about nightmode (and a toggle to switch between night/day modes) ?

Last edited by akorx; 03-09-2017 at 02:03 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #38
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Kobo goes -months- without an update - people complain
Kobo goes -days- with multiple updates - people complain

Poor Kobo, can't make anyone happy

I never had any problems.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #39
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Picker View Post
Can't say. Mine went from 8842 to 8945 directly (it skipped 8871 and 8929 entirely). Maybe there was some "mandatory" base code in 8842 that was required.
Me too, 2 steps update.

I just updated my wife's Kobo Aura. Had to change the affiliate to kobo to get the update. Went from 8842 to 8945.

No new home screen on her device. But I have it on my Aura One since a previous update.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #40
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Kobodesktop, I stop using it, but it will try to sync/upgrade your device when you connect it to PC.
EDIT: If you don't have Kobodesktop you don't need to worried.
One reason for the Kobo Desktop app is that it is easy to remove the Kobo DRM from the Desktop's downloaded books. But I think you can also remove it nowadays from the books stored on the ereader? And you can always remove it if you download it with Adobe DRM.

More DRM removal options are good!
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #41
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Interesting. You may be on to something. I still had the same sync issue after updating to the latest firmware.

Here are my observations:
1) First I changed my affiliate in the config file from Kobo to rakutenbooks. Syncing worked again, but I realized that version didn't have Overdrive support.
2) Then I changed it back to Kobo. I confirmed the syncing problems were back again.
3) Then I changed it to KoboIndigo. I did have to log into Overdrive again. Syncing is working like normal.
4) Out of curiosity I just changed it back to Kobo after reading your post. Syncing is now working again like normal.
I changed my affiliate to KoboIndigo and was NOT able to sync. Changed back to Kobo (after reading this), signed into Overdrive, and WAS able to sync.
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Picker View Post
Hi Martina,
Just in case I didn't clearly understand this...are you saying you received the New Home Screen with a previous FW update and then reverted to the Old Home Screen from this subsequent update on the same device?
I'd had this happen on a Glo HD. One upgrade I was switched to the New home screen, the next upgrade I reverted to the Old screen.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Hi guys,

Do you know if firmware 4.3.8945 brings something new about nightmode (and a toggle to switch between night/day modes) ?
Not that I have seen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #44
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'd had this happen on a Glo HD. One upgrade I was switched to the New home screen, the next upgrade I reverted to the Old screen.
Thanks Peter, that's actually pretty interesting stuff. Just out of curiosity, did you happen to have GeoffR's (or any other) Home Screen Switching patch installed at the time? (You see where I'm goin' here...just trying to determine if the HS change came through the pipeline along with the FW update, or maybe the update was simply tripping the already installed patch...I'm not even sure that's feasible...but I'll ask).
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #45
jbennion
jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.jbennion for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony reader PRS-650
So, does anyone have any updated release notes, aside from the vague one that comes up on the device itself? My KA1 after the previous firmware update (or, rather, two previous updates) reverted to the power drain bug that plagued this device previously. It was worse than ever. I am hoping this latest firmware update fixes it again!
jbennion is offline   Reply With Quote