Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #46
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
My DXG (3g) has 2 cracks. One radiating from the Home button to the screen and the other at the lower right (bezel). Relieved to hear that they shouldn't get worse. I treat it very carefully and it doesn't travel.

It's way out of warranty, I bought it over 2 yrs ago when it first came out, and I was more upset when the hinged cover messed up the device a few months ago. I was very nervous until I read the posts and did a hard reset (which worked). I just bought a $5 replacement cover to use - no hinges!
I enjoy the DXG, but will never buy another Amazon cover! (and I will wait at least 6 months before buying larger version of kindles, like the 9" KFHD).
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #47
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
If I didn't read it here, I would have never noticed it. I have the same cracks on both sides of my K3 but they are hardly visible (or it might be that I need reading glasses?) and they don't affect my reading at all...
Anyway, I am out of US and my Kindle is not in warranty, so I'll just keep it as it is...And await my purchased PW to reach me
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #48
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Why would someone demand a replacement unit for one that is out of warranty - due to ANY problem?

My last two contacts with Amazon continue to favorably impress me. December 23, about 4PM Pacific time. I needed an answer to a Fire HD question. I initiated a Live Chat on Amazon.com, and had to wait an entire FORTY-SEVEN SECONDS to get someone online live to talk to. And they had my answer quickly.

Again on CHRISTMAS NIGHT, about 6PM Pacific time, I had another question. I initiated a phone call to them this time. And within TWO MINUTES I was speaking with a delightful woman from Africa - who had my answer for me immediately.

That is why I chuckle to myself when I read thread titles like "AMAZON UNRESPONSIVE TO ANY SOLUTION" and whiners' usually-not-entirely-truthful complaint reports. I could not ask for better service from Amazon the past several years. And my contacts have ranged from simple info requests to cross-shipping me a replacement device when I felt it was warranted.

And so it goes ... Happy 2013!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Why would someone demand a replacement unit for one that is out of warranty - due to ANY problem?
Under EU consumer law, a consumer has a right to a replacement if a product fails within what would be considered a reasonable lifetime that might be expected for that product. Eg, if you buy a TV, and it fails after 3 years, you could still have a right to free repair/replacement, because a TV can reasonably be expected to last at least three years. Hence, specific warranty periods have no legal standing in the EU.

Given, however, that hairline bezel cracks are purely cosmetic defects which have no effect whatsoever on the functionality of the product, it's doubtful that such a consideration would apply in this specific case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #50
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Under EU consumer law, a consumer has a right to a replacement if a product fails within what would be considered a reasonable lifetime that might be expected for that product. Eg, if you buy a TV, and it fails after 3 years, you could still have a right to free repair/replacement, because a TV can reasonably be expected to last at least three years. Hence, specific warranty periods have no legal standing in the EU.

Given, however, that hairline bezel cracks are purely cosmetic defects which have no effect whatsoever on the functionality of the product, it's doubtful that such a consideration would apply in this specific case.
It is three years even for things that are expected to last much more than three years.

But that is irrelevant for things bought in the US.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #51
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Hehe, maybe the idea is to check eBay for a Kindle keyboard with broken screen (should be available in the 5$-25$ price range) and start tinkering yourself.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote