Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #61
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Better how? What could you do on a rooted Sony eReader that you couldn't do on a different rooted Android eInk reader, like the nook STR?
Software-wise it would be more or less the same, but hardware is bound to be better. The price would be higher than $140 though.

I doubt that very much, but wouldn't it be funny if in a couple of weeks we find out that those goodreader "sources" were on the money, and Sony really decided to pull a nook out of the hat...
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Better how? What could you do on a rooted Sony eReader that you couldn't do on a different rooted Android eInk reader, like the nook STR?
It would be more likely to have more than one physical button, for starters.
(shrug)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #63
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It would be more likely to have more than one physical button, for starters.
(shrug)
Like the nook STR you mean, which has 6 (4 page turning, 1 home button, 1 power button)?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #64
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Like the nook STR you mean, which has 6 (4 page turning, 1 home button, 1 power button)?
Like the (missing) Search, back, and menu dedicated buttons android devices are *supposed* to have, that thee Nooks (and other vendors) replace with status bar icons.
Many of the incompatibilities with apps on rooted Nooks come from lack of full android hardware compliance.

I shrug because I don't particularly care but when it comes to generic Android hardware my suggestion to those that ask me is to make sure the device has at least menu, home, and back dedicated hardware buttons. Page turn buttons are nice, but not what I'm talking about. If anything, they are a further deviation from the reference design. (Most android devices have volume buttons that apps can use for page turning.)

Just saying; I don't have a horse in the race either way. I sorta like the Nook touch and the Sony 950 but nowhere near enough to buy anything from either line.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-12-2011 at 07:31 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Like the (missing) Search, back, and menu dedicated buttons android devices are *supposed* to have, that thee Nooks (and other vendors) replace with status bar icons.
Many of the incompatibilities with apps on rooted Nooks come from lack of full android hardware compliance.

I shrug because I don't particularly care but when it comes to generic Android hardware my suggestion to those that ask me is to make sure the device has at least menu, home, and back dedicated hardware buttons. Page turn buttons are nice, but not what I'm talking about. If anything, they are a further deviation from the reference design. (Most android devices have volume buttons that apps can use for page turning.)

Just saying; I don't have a horse in the race either way. I sorta like the Nook touch and the Sony 950 but nowhere near enough to buy anything from either line.
Interesting. I haven't been paying much attention to Android tablets, but the tablets I seem to notice only have a single button, similar to an IPad (Galaxy Tab, Asus Eee Pad, Motorola Zoom, Acer Iconia, ...)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #66
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Interesting. I haven't been paying much attention to Android tablets, but the tablets I seem to notice only have a single button, similar to an IPad (Galaxy Tab, Asus Eee Pad, Motorola Zoom, Acer Iconia, ...)?
Anything based on Honeycomb can get away with that since more of the standard buttons are in the OS. Any tablets still based on 2.x still expect the 3 standard buttons in order to work right.

That said, using Android on an eReader is more about getting a standard Linux with a lot of drivers and such aimed at mobile devices. It's less about contributing to the platform by being a full Android device. This is a side effect of Android being OSS.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #67
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I must be late for the party. What did goodereader.com do to get into trouble here?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #68
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I must be late for the party. What did goodereader.com do to get into trouble here?

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

TAKE ME AWAY! TAKE ME AWAY! TAKE ME AWAY!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292480

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=GOODREADER
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #69
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

TAKE ME AWAY! TAKE ME AWAY! TAKE ME AWAY!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292480

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=GOODREADER
Well I am a little mad at goodereader.com. They occasionally delete or edit my comments even tho they are harmless and on topic
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote