Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #16
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Please explain what 0.9 versions do that you didn't want? Examples, and Details would help.

And if there is something you do not understand, we can help.
So long ago - - I may have to d/l the latest version as a standalone (if possible) and work it to see if what I hated has disappeared. But how to do the standalone??
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #17
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruce1314 View Post
So long ago - - I may have to d/l the latest version as a standalone (if possible) and work it to see if what I hated has disappeared. But how to do the standalone??
Huh? Standalone? Sigil is single program. Are you by any chance confusing Calibre (or some other program) with Sigil? What exactly do you mean be "standalone"?

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think they mean a portable version, i.e. one that does not need installation and will coexist with the existing version.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What OS? If Linux, they can use my standalone package (details in one of the sticky threads). It's not "portable" but it can be installed alongside the standard installation. It uses a different preferences location.

If Windows or OSX, just back up the preferences folder and install the newer version. You can always roll back to the old one and restore your preferences. But you can't really have isolated installations of two official Sigil versions imultaneously.

You could always see if there's a portable version of Sigil 0.9.x if you're on Windows. We don't support or endorse (or condemn) the portableapps version, but it should be fine for a test drive on Windows alongside the official 0.8.x series.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:28 AM   #20
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think they mean a portable version, i.e. one that does not need installation and will coexist with the existing version.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Correct!! Must not overwrite current install.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:19 AM   #21
rbruce1314
Groupie

OK - so found and installed 0.9.8 portable. OK in places so far but biggest drawback (can't find option to change it) is that in code view the line space gaps between <p.........> sections have disappeared. How to get them back??
Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK - so found and installed 0.9.8 portable. OK in places so far but biggest drawback (can't find option to change it) is that in code view the line space gaps between <p.........> sections have disappeared. How to get them back??
Pretty-printing isn't an automatic feature any more. From the Tools menu, you can choose the Mend & Prettify feature to get the code to look like what you're used to. Same options are available by right-clicking on the code in Code View. I typically run it after I'm done with an editing session.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #23
rbruce1314
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Pretty-printing isn't an automatic feature any more. From the Tools menu, you can choose the Mend & Prettify feature to get the code to look like what you're used to. Same options are available by right-clicking on the code in Code View. I typically run it after I'm done with an editing session.
OK - gottit. Thanks for that - tried it and it works - but up comes another problem. IF I try to open Portable (on a separate 'E' drive) with 0.8.6 (on the main drive) open, it won't let me; it says another version is running!!

However, previously I could have both 0.7.4 AND 0.8.6 running simultaneously with both on the main 'C' drive. Seems the wrong way round to me . . . .
Old 08-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK - gottit. Thanks for that - tried it and it works - but up comes another problem. IF I try to open Portable (on a separate 'E' drive) with 0.8.6 (on the main drive) open, it won't let me; it says another version is running!!

However, previously I could have both 0.7.4 AND 0.8.6 running simultaneously with both on the main 'C' drive. Seems the wrong way round to me . . . .
The Portable version says another version is running? Not sure what's up with that. We don't make, release, or maintain the Portable version. If they use separate preference directories, there should be no reason they couldn't run at the same time. Might want to take it up with the Portable maintainer.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #25
rbruce1314
Groupie

BUT - just tried, and it works if you do it the other way round!!! Open portable first, then opening main program works perfectly!!
Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
BUT - just tried, and it works if you do it the other way round!!! Open portable first, then opening main program works perfectly!!
That definitely suggests the issue is Portable's. At least you have a workaround, though!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #27
rbruce1314
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That definitely suggests the issue is Portable's. At least you have a workaround, though!
Too right - and it gets worse!! Tried an edit with Portable (on the external drive) with nothing open on the main program on the C drive. Made a couple of adjustments to the settings.

Bit later, (portable closed) opened something else I had been working on on 0.8.6 on the C drive - and found that the settings I had changed on portable had incomprehensibly been transferred to the main program!!

So, portable 0.9.8, on a different drive and supposedly completely independent, has seen fit to interfere with a program (not open) on the main drive . . . .

I'm not too happy, but as you say something sinister seems to be active with the portable version (Incidentally, I didn't make clear before, but I installed it as a separate standalone and not using the "portable apps platform" offered to me - I used that once before and got into all sorts of trouble!!).
Old 08-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not too happy, but as you say something sinister seems to be active with the portable version (Incidentally, I didn't make clear before, but I installed it as a separate standalone and not using the "portable apps platform" offered to me - I used that once before and got into all sorts of trouble!!).
That's unfortunate.
Keep in mind that rolling back to an earlier version of Sigil really poses no problems if you have to do it that way. As I mentioned before, just make sure you have a good backup of your preferences folder so you can restore them later.

There's also the SIGIL_PREFS_DIR environment variable you could set (only when launching Sigil v0.9.8). If you set it to a different directory than the standard preference location, you should be able to run an older official Sigil with official Sigil v0.9.8 with no intermingling of settings/preferences. Might be more than you bargained for, though. Understandable if so.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Or simply run it under a different user. I have 3 user accounts on my mac. One for development, one normal, and one for testing new software or builds. That way all user files are kept separate. I use a cloud drive to move files from one user to another if need be.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #30
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@ rbruce1314 -- I use portable software almost exclusively, and I do also see sometimes the behavior with "two versions running." Even though on that computer, I only have the portable version available! So I just close and re-launch.

PortableApps.com does good things, but there are wonky things too. I have seen that the portable app sometimes seems to send some Sigil files to the user's AppData folder, even though they *should* only go inside the Sigil folder. So I sometimes have multiple INI files and other settings files at odds with each other. But I still prefer the portable version on my external drive, so I can grab it and use it on other computers.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote