Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 12:53 AM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hyne, Cutcliffe: The Escape Agents (1910); v1; 31 Jan 2020

It is Napoleonic France, specifically 1810-11, and a motley group are engaged in the risky business of freeing French prisoners of war from Spanish camps.

Six connected short stories forming a short novel of some 45,000 words.

(For the unitiated, a vivandiere is a woman camp follower who operates a kitchen for soldiers; and Sallee is a town on the opposite bank of the river from Rabat in Morocco)

1: The New Commission
2: The First Fifty-Four
3: The Yellow Galley-Full
4: The Pirate
5: Two Duels
6: Slaves In Sallee
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	176783  
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Escape Agents - Cutcliffe Hyne.epub (215.0 KB, 445 views)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought this was too short to be the complete volume as published. According to a reference, the actual book opened with a Captain Kettle story (un-named, alas), and after the six Escape Agent stories finished with another short story, "Elixir vitae".

If I can get hold of those two stories, I'll add them and put up a V2.
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I prepped a copy of Escape Agents a couple of months back - I hadn't proofed it so didn't put a copy on MR.

Mine is the same as yours - just six stories. I thought I got it from Archive.org but can't find it there so am not sure of my source. However most of the references I have found say that the stories were first published in Pearsons Magazine in 1906. This suggests they were published separately.

I think a compilation of the six was published about 1911 but why it should contain a "Kettle" is unclear.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Pulpmeister
Wizard

I got mine from Gutenberg Aust, originally uploaded there in 2006. No source was given there. I found the sketchy info about the printed book contents by searching google hits, and only one of the references, including books for sale, mentioned the contents, and then only vaguely. The additional stories would have been to bring the book up to a saleable size, as the Escape Agents stories only come to 46,000 words, a bit light on for British publishers, who preferred at least 70,000.

As with practically all of Cutcliffe Hyne's books, they appeared in magazines first.