Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #316
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Ah...Sorry--I didn't realize that was possible. I've never had a package where Amazon was the delivery service. Mine have always been either UPS, FedEx, or the regular post office.

Shari
I had one that I had ordered for my son. He lives outside Nashville, Tennessee. His address is very new and not on most GPS systems. I am not impressed with delivery by Amazon. They evidently hire people as outside contractors and the quality of service is hit or miss. The girl who was supposed to deliver it called my son and asked where the address was. He gave her the directions, it is right off a major road, and she did not deliver it. The gentleman who delivered it the next day also had trouble finding the address via Amazon's own GPS Delivery App. He had no problems delivering it after getting directions form my son. He did tell him that most other GPS Apps and systems are better than the one Amazon provides it's drivers.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #317
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As of this moment, it is still lost in that space-time warp between Mississauga and Vancouver.
That close to the border I immediately thought held up by customs, but both cities are in Canada already. Unless maybe it is possible it came from the US, got sent to Mississauga and awaiting customs there?
Quote:
As long as it arrives in time for Sept. 7th, no problems. If it does not arrive by then, I'll be very ticked off -- the 'perfect' birthday present is not much use if it is a belated birthday present.
That would totally blow.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #318
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That close to the border I immediately thought held up by customs, but both cities are in Canada already. Unless maybe it is possible it came from the US, got sent to Mississauga and awaiting customs there?
That was my first thought but Amazon CS seems to think it has already left Mississauga. I know that at times Canada Customs seems to have the ability to hold packages for an unreasonable, IMHO, length of time. This was the main reason for ordering the gift with a lot of lead time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 AM   #319
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with Apache--Amazon's own delivery service is definitely "hit or miss". One of my workmates had a package he was expecting being delivered to our office (which isn't hard to locate). The delivery driver for some reason had a hard time locating our office. My workmate happened to spot the driver out in front of our office heading away without dropping off his package. He ended up catching up with the driver at the corner of the block and getting his package.
Hopefully they'll get better--or else go back to Fed-ex/UPS.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #320
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is getting interesting. I just received a shipping update from Amazon. It now states ship date: August 01 and shipped via Canada Post. I checked the tracking on Canada Post and all it says "2018/08/16 Electronic information submitted by shipper". Say goodbye to delivery by Amazon and welcome back to Canada Post. At least, it's in the country and hopefully, on it's way -- assuming that the truck doesn't get blocked by a forest fire or two.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #321
DNSB
Bibliophagist

All's well that ends well. Canada Post tracking showed my parcel moving across the country and it was delivered on Monday. Oddly, the Amazon tracking number still works and shows the parcel as being somewhere en route -- should they not have cancelled that tracking when the parcel was given to Canada Post instead?
Old 09-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #322
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
One of my sons has now become a Prime Member. He was looking to upgrade his $500 4 year old 17.3 inch HP laptop with a i3 processor chip that he bought at Best Buy. Looking at what was available at Amazon we decided that he now needed an (approximately) $1000 machine with an I7 processor chip and true HD.

Yes they have Best Buys in Nevada where he is now, but Best Buy is so "4 years ago!"

He does everything on that computer. Watch movies, read books, of course browse and look up stuff on the internet as well as work stuff for his job - Trading, Equities, Forex, Bitcoin, Crypto and the like.

I have to say he went all out and since he had Prime he bought a total of 9 items. (I guess he was saving up.)

Welcome aboard son. Have a diet Pepsi (on me.)

I have to also say I have one of his old machines a similar 17.3 inch HP (2 machines ago) in my den, and it works fine though it has one flaky hinge. I have said that the smaller machines I use are fine for me, but 17.3 inches works out ok too.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:04 AM   #323
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have to also say I have one of his old machines a similar 17.3 inch HP (2 machines ago) in my den, and it works fine though it has one flaky hinge. I have said that the smaller machines I use are fine for me, but 17.3 inches works out ok too.
I prefer 12" screens. I don't like them larger than that. They're too bulky to hold.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #324
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I prefer 12" screens. I don't like them larger than that. They're too bulky to hold.
Yeah, I have a desktop downstairs that I occasionally use, but for me, a little netbook works just fine for day-to-day stuff.

I bought a Surface Pro recently, but it hasn't completely replaced my netbook with its 11" screen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #325
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I have a desktop downstairs that I occasionally use, but for me, a little netbook works just fine for day-to-day stuff.

I bought a Surface Pro recently, but it hasn't completely replaced my netbook with its 11" screen.
Just wait until you get old enough to need cheaters (i.e. reading glasses), those itty bitty screens become a whole lot less desirable. I have a nice 32" TV that I use as my main monitor for work.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #326
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Just wait until you get old enough to need cheaters (i.e. reading glasses), those itty bitty screens become a whole lot less desirable. I have a nice 32" TV that I use as my main monitor for work.
I already wear reading glasses and still prefer small laptops.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 PM   #327
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

This Black Friday, I'll get rid of my desktop and replace it with an 11.6" laptop.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #328
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I already wear reading glasses and still prefer small laptops.
All I can say is different strokes for different folks. I use a large iPad pro to read and have large screen monitors because using reading glasses for more than a few minutes tends to make me dizzy.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #329
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
All I can say is different strokes for different folks. I use a large iPad pro to read and have large screen monitors because using reading glasses for more than a few minutes tends to make me dizzy.
I use a small netbook for most things, yet I bought a Surface Pro because I wanted a larger screen to read comics. Sometimes it's just the right tool for the right job.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #330
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I use a small netbook for most things, yet I bought a Surface Pro because I wanted a larger screen to read comics. Sometimes it's just the right tool for the right job.
You don't just pick up a rock to hammer nails?