Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Java Djvu viewer - need SDK/KDK

Does anybody have a copy of the Kindle Development Kit that can be put somewhere for easy download? I wrote a little Djvu viewer. Very, very, very basic. It's only a proof of concept. I want to put it on the Kindle as a test and I would like to see what options I have with the Kindle KDK before I try something more brute force. Thanks.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Maybe it is easier to port DjVuLibre to use framebuffer? Realistically, the Kindle can run lots of framebuffer apps with little or no adaptation (I got links2 running the other day). The main issue is that people still want their Amazon features (free WWAN, buying books auto-delivered and whispersynced). Otherwise there's no reason we couldn't load Ubuntu ARM onto it with a little work on a keyboard driver for X.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

I thought the exact same thing after I made that post. I have been considering putting Linux ARM on here and then get to work on the keyboard, etc. I agree with you that it will be hard to convince Kindle users to drop Amazon and void warranty in favor of this. While we would get a lot of the features that are missing on the Kindle such as support for almost anything, the Amazon features will not work. I am willing to do it for my Kindle, though.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
I am pretty sure there are more than enough users who are only interested in reading their technical documents or publications on the DXG, be it in pdf or djvu format.

I am one of them.
But if the Kindle's firmware can be restored, all the better.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Does anybody have a copy of the Kindle Development Kit that can be put somewhere for easy download? I wrote a little Djvu viewer. Very, very, very basic. It's only a proof of concept. I want to put it on the Kindle as a test and I would like to see what options I have with the Kindle KDK before I try something more brute force. Thanks.
I'm assuming you know of the Java Djvu Viewer.
If I'm not mistaken it's been 'ported' to iLiad.
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict

It is possible to write an open source firmware/framework that runs on the Kindle and replaces the existing Amazon one. If we do this, we would be able to add many features that don't currently exist on the Kindle. But I don't know how to get whispernet to work on this or if it would even work at all.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
It is possible to write an open source firmware/framework that runs on the Kindle and replaces the existing Amazon one. If we do this, we would be able to add many features that don't currently exist on the Kindle. But I don't know how to get whispernet to work on this or if it would even work at all.
I remember that ebookapps had the plans to write an alternative firmware for Kindle as well.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
eLiNK
Addict

Hmm ...
Looked high and low.
No sign of the KDK anywhere.

Looks like the KDK provided (if any) to beta testers are so-to-say personalized, which would explain why it has not leaked so far.
Any other explanation?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
zetareticuli
Addict

I can't think of anything else. I have not been able to find the KDK either. I have looked everywhere. Do you know what kind of functionality the KDK provides right now? I have not even been able to find the documentation for it.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Documentation is here: Amazon Kindle Development Kit.

IMO, the best chance to extend the Kindle without the KDK, while keeping the Amazon features, is to grab an older ROM that isn't obfuscated, dump it, run JAD on the classes, and use it and a combination of the KDK docs to piece together a new booklet (application) that can run on the Kindle alongside the existing framework. IIRC someone already made a very simple booklet this way.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
zetareticuli
Addict

Where can I get the older firmware? I would appreciate if someone can post a download link.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
I have no idea about programing or anything like that, but see this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83201
I tried the Chinese firmware on my K2US and it works. I didn't like it too much, so deleted it again. But it can co-exist with the normal Kindle system and you can switch between them. It seems to me that it is somehow invoked before the normal Kindle system loads.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
zetareticuli
Addict

Thank you. I will take a look at it and see what I can come up with.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
jyavenard also has a full tarball of the root of a k2 v2.2.1. Not sure if it's old enough though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote