Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #106
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I think we are already seeing the effects of phone/tablets taking away much of the market for ereaders. Fewer providers, long times between updates, much slower pace innovation.

To wit...there are very few independant ebook readers compared to 5 years ago.

Color “eInk” never made it to market.

All those cool premium large eInk devices - none of them made it.

Prices stopped coming down such that you can actually get a phone or a tablet as cheap or cheaper than an ereader.

Extinct? No. There is a market demand to keep eInk in existence.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #107
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
In low light condition,I think a good OLED screen is superior to any e-ink screen. In the evening, I can read using much smaller font on my Samsung galaxy S than the kindle voyage. Of course weight and battery life are a different matter.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 AM   #108
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I think we are already seeing the effects of phone/tablets taking away much of the market for ereaders. Fewer providers, long times between updates, much slower pace innovation.
The market always shakes down when you're talking about new technology, especially as profit margins sink. Sony is really the only big company to give up on eInk readers, and (at the same time) they got out of several other consumer electronic lines (like laptops and desktops). And you could say the same thing about smartphones. No more Windows Phone, no more Blackberries, no more Symbian -- basically it's down to Android and iOS. Still a lot of people using eInk readers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:41 AM   #109
Ammonite
Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma
SO and I were both reading in bed tonight: she with her Paperwhite 4 and I with my 6" phone (left my Forma at the office). We both had white text on black background with brightness turned low to reduce eyestrain in the dark.

Once she glanced over at my screen, she laughed at how horrible the contrast on E-ink was vs OLED. Not only that, but my brightness was much lower on my phone than her Kindle (she was at level 3). Even with the Kindle's default black text on white background, the lower contrast and high brightness were no match for the phone which has a blue light filter mode. Lastly, typing notes and highlighting is leagues better than the Kindle because G Board is so fast with glide typing and/or voice transcribing.

For my needs, the Kobo Forma is perfect because that 8" display allows a lot more text than my phone and the battery life is longer than 7 hours. However, against the PW4, I'm going with the Google Pixel 3 XL.

Last edited by Ammonite; 11-22-2018 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Grammar
Ammonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #110
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
In low light condition,I think a good OLED screen is superior to any e-ink screen. In the evening, I can read using much smaller font on my Samsung galaxy S than the kindle voyage. Of course weight and battery life are a different matter.
I agree on the OLED being better. Battery life on my phone is more than good enough.

This trend to narrow and taller phone screens is annoying for reading however. Maybe I'll get used to it, but right now, the 18:9 aspect ratio looks very odd for a book.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #111
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

So as of yet, it looks like the phone is starting to overtake the e-reader, even for me.

If I encounter no great disadvantages in the near future, it might be R.I.P. e-reader...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I prefer front-lit e-ink screens because I often read in public transport or outside. They're more easily readable in bright light and have less glare compared to LCD-screens. Therefore I find them more comfortable to read on.
So, it hasn't been R.I.P. e-reader yet?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #112
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I tried to read on my phone but it is too little and I don't like the screen. I prefer my Kobo Aura One and if I know that I have to wait for somewhere I take it with me. Sometime I take the Paperwhite, it depends on the occasions.

Well, if I don't have any reader with me I can read on the phone but it is not a satisfying experience, so I generally read some news but not a book. For me my phone is useful for many things but not as reader.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #113
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When this thread began I was mostly reading on my Kindle at home and on my phone when I had a few minutes when I was elsewhere. Little by little I began to realize that I enjoy the phone more so I tried reading exclusively on my phone for a couple months and I liked it. It was hard on my phone's battery though, so I bought another phone, a cheap one, for reading at home. I've been doing that ever since.

I still haven't decided whether I'll go back to the Kindle. I'm not ruling it out. It is easier on my eyes but I'm doing okay reading on the phone and actually I'm reading more now. I like the small screen and the way it fits comfortably in my hand. I don't have to "hold" it. I just hold my hand up with my phone in it.

The phone also lets me scroll text which I got used to doing on Palm devices, where ebooks first began to become popular. Most apps on Palm devices scrolled. Only a few paged. I got used to scrolling and when I got my Kindle I missed it. Now I'm scrolling again.

It is harder to read in the sun but in direct sunlight so is the Kindle, although the phone is a bit worse. I don't really do much reading in the sun. Reading outside in the shade is no problem on either of them.

The biggest drawback of the phone is battery life but that's manageable.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #114
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I tried to read on my phone but it is too little and I don't like the screen. I prefer my Kobo Aura One and if I know that I have to wait for somewhere I take it with me. Sometime I take the Paperwhite, it depends on the occasions.

Well, if I don't have any reader with me I can read on the phone but it is not a satisfying experience, so I generally read some news but not a book. For me my phone is useful for many things but not as reader.
Same for me. I have a 5'' smartphone and I've read a book on it sometimes in a pinch, but I enjoy reading on my eink readers far more. 5'' is too small and cramped for me. For the news, Wikipedia articles etc. it'll do. Admittedly my eyes have never been good.

Funny how some people prefer small screens and some huge, and some are in between...
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:59 PM   #115
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
For reading novels, I like my iPad mini best. I don’t always have it with me so my iPhone is used quite a bit.

I read a free kindle book on my iPhone 3 GS just to try it way back when. I really didn’t expect it to be a good experience. One book and I was hooked.

For me it’s the font size, not the screen size. Even on my tiny iPhone 3 screen, the fonts were bigger than most books I would read. Now with the iPhone 11 Pro....it is a glorious screen to read on.

Even cheap Android tablets like the Kindle Fire Tab 8 and Walmart Onn 8...I enjoy reading on.

I used to read on my 9.7” iPads but now that size seems huge.

I thought I’d have an eInk reader by now. I just haven’t come across the right sale at the right impulse buy time. Since my iPad Mini has 256gig storage....I’m not even reading on my Android tablets any more (used to take them on trips because of the expanded storage allowed my to load movies and tv shows). I simply have no problems whatsoever reading on a device. I enjoy it quite a bit. And the new iPhone is easy to see in sunlight
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:16 AM   #116
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing with most phones, even with those over 6'', is that the screen is too narrow for comfortable reading. For me, anyway. I'm sure there are people who actually prefer a narrow screen for reading, but I'm not one of them. My eink readers with 7-8'' screens are perfect for me.

As to tablets, they're usually much heavier than ereaders and that's a dealbreaker for me. Well, the iPad Mini is pretty lightweight, but still heavier than any of my dedicated ereaders, it's also too expensive to buy just for reading, and I don't want a screen under 8'' for any other activities. Too small.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:38 AM   #117
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
i hope Kingrow don't lose other time into making K1 available to stores.
My K1 is totally good
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #118
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The thing with most phones, even with those over 6'', is that the screen is too narrow for comfortable reading. For me, anyway. I'm sure there are people who actually prefer a narrow screen for reading, but I'm not one of them. My eink readers with 7-8'' screens are perfect for me.

I'm guessing this depends at least partly on your preferred font size? I usually use a fairly small font so a small screen size is OK for me. I don't read on my 5" phone except for brief occasions, like while waiting in line at the post office, but that is due to my preference for e-ink rather than the size of the phone. My 6" e-ink readers work well for me.

I expect if you prefer a larger font you would also want a larger reader in order to be able to have a reasonable amount of words on the screen.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #119
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I'm guessing this depends at least partly on your preferred font size? I usually use a fairly small font so a small screen size is OK for me. I don't read on my 5" phone except for brief occasions, like while waiting in line at the post office, but that is due to my preference for e-ink rather than the size of the phone. My 6" e-ink readers work well for me.

I expect if you prefer a larger font you would also want a larger reader in order to be able to have a reasonable amount of words on the screen.
Yes, certainly. I don't use small fonts. Not huge either, somewhere in the middle.

I actually did fine with 6'' readers for years. It was after getting my first 7'' reader that 6'' started to feel small. But phones have always felt too small to me.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #120
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
So, it hasn't been R.I.P. e-reader yet?
Nope. For some time, the phone was indeed winning.

One of the reasons was that last year, my GF didn't live in with me. It was much easier to read a book on the phone and swap back and forth between that book and Whatsapp in the evening, compared to having to swap the e-reader and the phone.

Now, my GF lives with me, so obviously we don't have hours-long Whatsapp conversations anymore.

Also, the phone turned out to be too small, and screen reflections too bothersome.

For long reads, I prefer an e-ink screen and a larger e-reader, but it's true I'm reading less as compared to using the phone because sometimes, I just can't be bothered to bring the e-reader if I'm going to go out without my bag.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote