Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #76
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I tried going back to firmware 4.8.10956 first and then 4.6.9960 -- nothing changed: book-specific reading stats are still absent for all the books marked as 'read' on the device.

edit: reported in the Kobo bug thread

Last edited by mathil; 06-06-2018 at 03:58 PM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I think I may have found a bug with this firmware version, having to do again with reading stats. In my case at least, reading stats for a single book are recorded correctly while the book is being read, and the overall reading stats for the device are also updated accordingly; but when I try accessing the reading stats of a book I already finished, I will get zeros all over the page, almost as if with the book marked as read, all of the stats for that book reset themselves automatically. IIRC that didn't use to be the case with previous firmware versions (of course before the one that broke reading stats completely).

I should specify that this applies at least to sideloaded .kepubs, and that none of the books I've marked as read on the device, even before updating to this firmware, have reading stats anymore. The overall reading stats, as I said, are fine.
This doesn't seem to be happening here. I have had a look at the stats for a few of the books I have finished in the last month or so, and they are all showing non-zero stats. The books are a mainly sideloaded epubs and purchased kepubs. I don't have many sideloaded kepubs. But, one I did find that was finished showed stats OK. I did reopen it and page through it to finish it and it still showed stats.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #78
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This doesn't seem to be happening here. I have had a look at the stats for a few of the books I have finished in the last month or so, and they are all showing non-zero stats. The books are a mainly sideloaded epubs and purchased kepubs. I don't have many sideloaded kepubs. But, one I did find that was finished showed stats OK. I did reopen it and page through it to finish it and it still showed stats.
finish a book and it will show in the finished books stats but if you reopen it (only) without finishing it again then your finished books total will have gone down by 1.

i believe that's the point being made, it's certainly doing it on my Kobo Touch with this firmware (sideloaded kepubs)

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 06-06-2018 at 08:34 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #79
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried going back to firmware 4.8.10956 first and then 4.6.9960 -- nothing changed: book-specific reading stats are still absent for all the books marked as 'read' on the device.

edit: reported in the Kobo bug thread
Two things:

- If the stats are reset for some reason, they aren't likely to be restored by any method. The stats are stored in the database and if they've been wiped, or never stored (firmware 4.7.x), then there is no way to get them back.

- You keep saying "marked as read". Do you mean the device shows them as read because you read the book from cover to cover? Or did you use the "Mark as read" function for books you hadn't opened (hence no stats) or not actually finished (don't know what happens)?

And two more things that I thought of while typing the above:

- How are you seeing these stats? The firmware only displays stats for the currently opened book. There is an unsupported option to add a menu item to see the stats for a book. But, as it is unsupported, it could stop working or change behaviour at any time. Reporting a bug to Kobo about it might get ignored. Asking to have a way to see the stats for other books is a good idea.

- Did you turned off the data sharing with Kobo option? When you turn off this option, it turns off stats collection and wipes the existing stats. You will get a message about this when you visiting the stats page. So if you turn it off, the stats are wiped and turning it back on will start collecting stats for any book opened after that.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #80
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
finish a book and it will show in the finished books stats but if you reopen it (only) without finishing it again then your finished books total will have gone down by 1.

i believe that's the point being made, it's certainly doing it on my Kobo Touch with this firmware (sideloaded kepubs)
Yes, I know that very well and have explained it and the differences between the finished book counts between various firmware versions several times.

But, the poster explicitly stated:

Quote:
try accessing the reading stats of a book I already finished, I will get zeros all over the page
Showing no books finished because they have all been opened would not explain that statement.
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #81
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I know that very well and have explained it and the differences between the finished book counts between various firmware versions several times.

But, the poster explicitly stated:

Showing no books finished because they have all been opened would not explain that statement.
ok thank you for that. i didn't know the way the finished book count worked had been changed from my much preferred 3.16.0 firmware.

it's another good reason to stick with the earlier firmware along with not being able to have more than one collection on this relatively new home screen.

best wishes koboy
Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ok thank you for that. i didn't know the way the finished book count worked had been changed from my much preferred 3.16.0 firmware.

it's another good reason to stick with the earlier firmware along with not being able to have more than one collection on this relatively new home screen.
The difference between 3.16 and the current firmware is that the two finished counts (books finished and % of library) are now calculated the same way. In 3.16.0, one is a simple count of books marked as finished and will change as you open the books or if you removed the finished books from the device. The other counts the stored "finished" events in a separate part of the database. It didn't change when you removed or reopened books. But, refinishing a previously finished book also didn't get counted. From memory, this changed around 4.2 or 4.3 so that they are both just counts of books marked as finished.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #83
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
The difference between 3.16 and the current firmware is that the two finished counts (books finished and % of library) are now calculated the same way. In 3.16.0, one is a simple count of books marked as finished and will change as you open the books or if you removed the finished books from the device. The other counts the stored "finished" events in a separate part of the database. It didn't change when you removed or reopened books. But, refinishing a previously finished book also didn't get counted. From memory, this changed around 4.2 or 4.3 so that they are both just counts of books marked as finished.

in 3.16.0 i have 83 finished books. reopening and staying at the beginning or in the middle or indeed finishing any 1 of those 83 books again still leaves the total books finished at 83.

where as in this firmware i have 0 finished books to start off with. if i open 2 books and go to the end of them (finished) then the stats shows 2 finished books, but if i reopen them the stats will show 0 finished books. it's only by finishing both of the books again will it reshow as 2 books finished in the stats.

that's the difference i'm seeing in the firmware versions.

best wishes koboy
Old 06-07-2018, 01:45 AM   #84
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
in 3.16.0 i have 83 finished books. reopening and staying at the beginning or in the middle or indeed finishing any 1 of those 83 books again still leaves the total books finished at 83.

where as in this firmware i have 0 finished books to start off with. if i open 2 books and go to the end of them (finished) then the stats shows 2 finished books, but if i reopen them the stats will show 0 finished books. it's only by finishing both of the books again will it reshow as 2 books finished in the stats.

that's the difference i'm seeing in the firmware versions.
Which is what I said. And did you notice the little circular graph with a percentage in it? That has had different rules. In both 3.16 and 4.8.x it should show the percent of the books on the device that are marked as finished (whether you read them or use "Mark as read").
Old 06-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #85
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Which is what I said. And did you notice the little circular graph with a percentage in it? That has had different rules. In both 3.16 and 4.8.x it should show the percent of the books on the device that are marked as finished (whether you read them or use "Mark as read").
i hadn't but i have now thanks. as i mentioned in an earlier post the only thing i strongly dislike with the new home screen is not being able to have multiple collections on it.

everything else in this firmware i like, especially the pin lock feature and also quick page turns and being able to tap from pages left in chapter to mins to go and % read while reading kepubs.

best wishes koboy
Old 06-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #86
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Two things:

- If the stats are reset for some reason, they aren't likely to be restored by any method. The stats are stored in the database and if they've been wiped, or never stored (firmware 4.7.x), then there is no way to get them back.

- You keep saying "marked as read". Do you mean the device shows them as read because you read the book from cover to cover? Or did you use the "Mark as read" function for books you hadn't opened (hence no stats) or not actually finished (don't know what happens)?

- How are you seeing these stats? The firmware only displays stats for the currently opened book. There is an unsupported option to add a menu item to see the stats for a book. But, as it is unsupported, it could stop working or change behaviour at any time. Reporting a bug to Kobo about it might get ignored. Asking to have a way to see the stats for other books is a good idea.

- Did you turned off the data sharing with Kobo option? When you turn off this option, it turns off stats collection and wipes the existing stats. You will get a message about this when you visiting the stats page. So if you turn it off, the stats are wiped and turning it back on will start collecting stats for any book opened after that.
First of all, thanks for replying so quickly! I can see why writing 'marked as read' could have been confusing, so let me explain more clearly: While I'm still in the process of reading a book on the device, I can access reading stats for that book with no problem, either by going to the Activities section in the menu or by using the unsupported function you mentioned in your post. The overall reading stats for the device (total hours read) are also updated correctly as I read. When I finish the book, and the device sends me back to the home screen marking the book as "read", using the unsupported option shows reading stats at zero for that book.

I did not turn off the data collection, but now that you mention that the option I was using is unsupported (I'd honestly forgotten about that, it must be years since I modified the .conf file) I guess there's nothing to be done. After reading your post I've experimented a bit and it seems that it works as long as there's at least one book being read on the device, which I guess still marks it as 'working' (and probably something that will go unnoticed by many people). Thanks for your help
Old 06-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
First of all, thanks for replying so quickly! I can see why writing 'marked as read' could have been confusing, so let me explain more clearly: While I'm still in the process of reading a book on the device, I can access reading stats for that book with no problem, either by going to the Activities section in the menu or by using the unsupported function you mentioned in your post. The overall reading stats for the device (total hours read) are also updated correctly as I read. When I finish the book, and the device sends me back to the home screen marking the book as "read", using the unsupported option shows reading stats at zero for that book.

I did not turn off the data collection, but now that you mention that the option I was using is unsupported (I'd honestly forgotten about that, it must be years since I modified the .conf file) I guess there's nothing to be done. After reading your post I've experimented a bit and it seems that it works as long as there's at least one book being read on the device, which I guess still marks it as 'working' (and probably something that will go unnoticed by many people). Thanks for your help
I have to say, "Wow". I can say I never would have picked that up. I have far to many in progress books on the device I'm using daily. But, I was able to reproduce it on one of the others that didn't have many books on it.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #88
mathil
Evangelist

Quote:
I have to say, "Wow". I can say I never would have picked that up. I have far to many in progress books on the device I'm using daily. But, I was able to reproduce it on one of the others that didn't have many books on it.
Right? I usually have at least one book being read on the device as well, but in this case I'd just finished a really long book and was curious to see how many hours it had taken me. Who knows, maybe it's been like this in previous versions of the firmware and no one noticed I'm just glad it's not actually a problem as I thought it would be.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #89
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Quote:
Two things:

So.. Where are those two options? How can I turn them on?
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #90
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
So.. Where are those two options? How can I turn them on?
Book specific stats: Add BookSpecificStats=true to the [Features strings] section of .kobo/Kobo eReader.conf.

Data collection: Under Energy Saving and Privacy settings on the second page.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote