Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
rwelbourn
rwelbourn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help with search syntax please.

I need to know how to search for all books that have the same value in the author and title fields. I made a mistake and stripped out some data and need this to recover.

I thought it might be:

author:=title:

but it doesn't work. I don't seem to be able to compare one field with another in the search. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Rob.
rwelbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelbourn View Post
I need to know how to search for all books that have the same value in the author and title fields.
You can't. At least, not with a search. You can create a composite column that compares the author and title fields and produces 'yes' or 'no' as appropriate with the 'strcmp' function.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
rwelbourn
rwelbourn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get what I needed thanks to your advice but I used a dirtier method initially.

{author:contains({title}, true, false)}

With some perseverence I got to what you intended (I think):

{:'strcmp("{author}", "{title}", 'false', 'true', 'false')'}

This worked really well but tripped up if there were any " in the title - any way around this? not that it really matters - just curious.

Many thanks for your valuable guidance - didn't even know about templates - glad I do now!!

Cheers,

Rob.
rwelbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelbourn View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get what I needed thanks to your advice but I used a dirtier method initially.

{author:contains({title}, true, false)}

With some perseverence I got to what you intended (I think):

{:'strcmp("{author}", "{title}", 'false', 'true', 'false')'}

This worked really well but tripped up if there were any " in the title - any way around this? not that it really matters - just curious.

Many thanks for your valuable guidance - didn't even know about templates - glad I do now!!
I have no idea why that template works. It shouldn't. Sub-templates are not (supposed to be) supported. Some day I will look at it. There are probably some bugs lurking there somewhere.

What you should use to get the author and title values is the field function. The complete template would be
Code:
{:'strcmp(field('author'), field('title'), 'false', 'true', 'false')'}
An alternate form in general program mode, slightly faster because it avoids the outermost template parsing, is
Code:
program: strcmp(field('author'), field('title'), 'false', 'true', 'false')
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:, compare fields, search, title: