Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Kekay
Kekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Alternative software for Kindle

Hi guys!

I'm new here! Just passing by to say Hello!: Xmas:
And also to ask a question about e-readers. It may be a dumb question but ... I'm a Kindle paperwhite user and I wanted to know if it's possible to delete The kindle software and replace with other with similar funtions. I'm preparing to delete the Kindle software and also my Amazon account. Because I want to software with no restriction, with a better synchronizing option of the Kindle with desktops, among other functions.
I just do not know if other software would work well with hardware ...
And please! If you think I should ask this question in another place, feel free to enlighten me!

I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this subject.
Thans in advance

Last edited by Kekay; 01-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Kekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Only one I know of is Duokan and I don't think that's still supported.

FWIW, you can reset the Kindle and just use it without registering. On certain firmware versions, one can also jailbreak and install alternate reading apps such as KOReader or CoolReader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Hello and welcome Kekay.

There is is a subforum dedicated to Kindle as well as a sub forum for Kindle Developers where people may be more 'in the know' regarding these things.

ilovejedd summed it up well. Duokan is no more, hasn't been a thing for some time. There is no way to install another OS that I am aware of, but the good folks on the Developer's Forum have created a jailbreak and using it you can definitely gain some additional functionality

Good luck!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Kekay
Kekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animalsKekay is kind to children and small, furry animals

Alternative software for Kindle

Thank you so much for the replay and sugestions!
The firmware of my kindle is 5.9.7, is it possible to do something in this version? According to what i was seeing, seems like this adds were for older ones...
Old 12-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Kekay

I didnt wanted to ask about this, but i stil need to be sure besids my own eyes, if what is written here is positive(it wil work) or not :

"If the third field of your firmware version number: 5.8.7.0.1 is larger than 7 this jail break will not work on your device.
That means it will not work on: 5.8.8, 5.8.9, 5.8.10, ..., 5.8.99999999. (It's NOT possible at this time to downgrade and use this jailbreak)
Of course, this also means that it will not work on anything newer than the 5.8.x branch itself (i.e., 5.9.x, and whatever might come next )."

Again, would appreciate very much your thougts in this decision,
Old 12-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, only serial jailbreak is available (hardware-based, need to physically open the Kindle). Latest software jailbreak is only up to 5.9.6.1.

In any case even without jailbreak, you could still unregister it, turn on airplane mode and just copy books via Calibre.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Kekay

Oh noo...do you know if is it wise for me to watch here from time to time to see if this version is added?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

It wouldn't hurt. In the meantime, don't update your firmware. Safest way to ensure it doesn't auto-update is to leave it in airplane mode.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
Kekay

I already deleted my Amazon account, because i don't need, and their restrictions makes angry sometimes. Airplane mode activated always!

Thank you very much for your tips and help! O/

Tags
alternative app, kindle, software, wardware