Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
alkh3myst
alkh3myst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre Won't reopen after setting change (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)

I have Calibre installed to manage content on my Kindle Paperwhite. Yesterday, I opened Calibre, and its window was so large, I couldn't close it (clicking the "x"). The Calibre menu has no "file" tab, so I couldn't close it that way. I decide to add its icon to the system tray, and select this from settings. When I reopen Calibre, I get the message: "ERROR: Startup Error". How do I edit this error? I don't know which entry to change in the configuration file. ALSO: I have repeatedly purged Calibre and its dependent package, "calibre-bin" from my system, then reinstalled, but I can't get a default configuration file. Further, I've 1. Logged out and back in before reinstalling, 2. Restarted before reinstalling, and I just 3. Reinstalled after installing a kernel update. What gives? Why won't repeated reinstlls generate a fresh configuration file? I've started searching for the hidden configuration files that may be stopping me from getting a clean reinstall, but there are dozens that I will have to manually delete. Is there an easier way to get Calibre back up and running properly? Is my problem something else entirely? Here (below) is the error readout I got from "show details":

calibre, version 2.55.0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 276, in initialize_db_stage2
self.start_gui(db)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 216, in start_gui
main.initialize(self.library_path, db, self.listener, self.actions)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 261, in initialize
self.system_tray_icon = factory(app_id='com.calibre-ebook.gui').create_system_tray_icon(parent=self, title='calibre')
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/dbus_export/widgets.py", line 232, in create_system_tray_icon
ans = StatusNotifierItem(parent=parent, title=title, app_id=self.app_id, category=category)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/dbus_export/tray.py", line 44, in __init__
self.dbus_api = StatusNotifierItemAPI(self, **kw)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/dbus_export/tray.py", line 114, in __init__
self.dbus_name = BusName(self.name, bus=bus, do_not_queue=True)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/dbus_service.py", line 238, in __new__
raise NameExistsException(name)
NameExistsException: Bus name already exists: org.kde.StatusNotifierItem-18241-1

I appreciate whatever help someone can offer, thanks.
alkh3myst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
alkh3myst

Update: Output of calibre-debug-g

calibre 2.55 embedded-python: False is64bit: True
Linux-4.4.0-81-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-16.04-xenial Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.4.0-81-generic', '#104-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 14 08:17:06 UTC 2017')
Python 2.7.12
Linux: ('Ubuntu', '16.04', 'xenial')
Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You want to delete calibre preferences, they are in ~/.config/calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
alkh3myst

Sorry, I don't see that file (directory?). Is there somewhere else it could be?

alkh3myst@R:~$ cd ~/.config/calibre
alkh3myst@R:~/.config/calibre$ ls
conversion global.py history.plist plugins
dynamic.pickle gui.json iterator.pickle tweaks.py
fonts gui.py metadata_sources viewer.json
alkh3myst@R:~/.config/calibre$ ls -a
. dynamic.pickle gui.json iterator.pickle tweaks.py
.. fonts gui.py metadata_sources viewer.json
conversion global.py history.plist plugins
alkh3myst@R:~/.config/calibre$
Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
rm -rf ~/.config/calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #6
alkh3myst

Me: The Big Dummy

I should have realized you meant delete the entire directory! I was very tired that night. I feel like an idiot now, LOL! That worked fine, thanks so much.

Tags
configuration, linux, startup, ubuntu 16.04