Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #436
lesley9
Enthusiast
lesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Oasis 2
Someone on Reddit did a comprehensive step by step on how to set up the Overdrive app and your Kobo so you can add books easily from multiple libraries while just signed into one library on your Kobo.
See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220226-090955_Reddit.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	902.3 KB
ID:	192489  
lesley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:00 AM   #437
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley9 View Post
Someone on Reddit did a comprehensive step by step on how to set up the Overdrive app and your Kobo so you can add books easily from multiple libraries while just signed into one library on your Kobo.
See attachment.
But that means there's no way to use multiple libraries with just a Kobo without logging out and logging in to a different library. Using a phone/table/laptop/desktop defeats the purpose.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #438
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi everyone,
In the kobo libra 2 I have 2 tabs: series and collections.
What's the difference? And how can I create automatically one when I sideload a book from calibre from some series?
In Calibre they are correctly tagged as "series x", but when I upload them it doesn't create neither a series or collection in the ebook reader
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:09 PM   #439
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You need to ensure that calibre's setting for Metadata Management is set to automatic and then connect the device a second time after it has processed the book. Only then will series and collection data be present on the device.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #440
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You need to ensure that calibre's setting for Metadata Management is set to automatic and then connect the device a second time after it has processed the book. Only then will series and collection data be present on the device.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Can't find the settings, can you help me?
So if I got it right the procedure is:
1) load the books
2) disconnect the device
3) connect it again to create series/collection
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #441
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Can't find the settings, can you help me?
So if I got it right the procedure is:
1) load the books
2) disconnect the device
3) connect it again to create series/collection
Preferences => Sending books to devices => set Metadata managment to Automatic Management.

And yes, you need to have the books sent and then imported to the database, then the metadata can be sent to the database on the next connection.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #442
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by menneske View Post
I concur.

29 pages of mostly chit-chat. Kinda not worth the read.
Since this topic is stickied, can it be cleaned up to remove all the random questions, and limited to actual tips, facts, etc. ? the people asking random questions would also be better served by making a new topic to get their question seen more easily.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #443
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Since this topic is stickied, can it be cleaned up to remove all the random questions, and limited to actual tips, facts, etc. ? the people asking random questions would also be better served by making a new topic to get their question seen more easily.
Some of the idea of this thread was to bring up the tips and then try to organize them into the wiki page that corresponds with this thread.

If you go through the wiki page, you *should* see everything, but some might have been missed and still needs to be added.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_eReader_hacks

Last edited by compurandom; 04-23-2022 at 01:56 AM. Reason: add link
compurandom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #444
menneske
Enthusiast
menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: LBook (Hanlin v.3), iPad1+3, GloHD 32GB, ClaraHD 8GB, iPadPro2 512GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Some of the idea of this thread was to bring up the tips and then try to organize them into the wiki page that corresponds with this thread.

If you go through the wiki page, you *should* see everything, but some might have been missed and still needs to be added.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_eReader_hacks
only very few things to update in the wiki, as it was last updated in december 2021.

Thank you very much for your work to date with moving stuff to the wiki, compurandom.
menneske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:24 PM   #445
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Is there a best practice charging method for the Kobo Libra 2? I did check the wiki but saw nothing there.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:00 AM   #446
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by willaful View Post
Is there a best practice charging method for the Kobo Libra 2? I did check the wiki but saw nothing there.
There's only one charging method that I know of. Plug it into USB and wait.

If you mean, methods to extend long term battery health, try to keep it between 20% and 80% with a preference to go over that rather than under. Basically good advice for any lithium ion battery.
compurandom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:10 AM   #447
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
There's only one charging method that I know of. Plug it into USB and wait.

If you mean, methods to extend long term battery health, try to keep it between 20% and 80% with a preference to go over that rather than under. Basically good advice for any lithium ion battery.
Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:03 PM   #448
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is there a way to preserve book highlights if you delete a book and then add it again later, or are you required to export the highlights? I know that you can use ExportHighlights=true to enable plain-text highlights exporting, but I don't know if there's a way to re-integrate the highlights with the book later on.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:43 AM   #449
petro1
petro1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I hope this is the right place for a question. I've got a Clara HD, and I've been somewhat confused by the font settings. Particularly, I want to know if there can be separate settings for each book and how that can be managed. It seems like if I change the settings in one book, it sometimes affects other books and sometimes not. I'd like to be able to consistently separate the settings for each book if that's possible. I know koreader can do that, but it's too slow loading large books for me to use it for everything.
petro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:00 AM   #450
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro1 View Post
I hope this is the right place for a question. I've got a Clara HD, and I've been somewhat confused by the font settings. Particularly, I want to know if there can be separate settings for each book and how that can be managed. It seems like if I change the settings in one book, it sometimes affects other books and sometimes not. I'd like to be able to consistently separate the settings for each book if that's possible. I know koreader can do that, but it's too slow loading large books for me to use it for everything.
All books have the font settings stored in the KoboReader.sqlite database. EDIT: Specifically, the content_settings table (see attached screenshot for what it looks like in the db). Note that custom CSS may override this.

If a book has no font already set, it'll take it from the previously viewed book. This can have odd results, especially if there's custom CSS or the kepub/epub font size inconsistency involved.

If you use Calibre, the Kobo Utilities plugin lets you set the font for the selected books. I like to pre-set them ahead of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-01-25 11_05_10-SQLiteStudio (3.2.1) - [content_settings (KoboReader)].png
Views:	376
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	199245  

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-25-2023 at 10:14 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote