Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Kobo Store "Beats" Amazon

Had an interesting online session last night. I saw at the Kobo store a new Larry McMurtry title ...

Hollywood: A Third Memoir By Larry McMurtry
Download ePub to your computer now
(File Size 2064kb) 2010-08-10 $10.99

Having met the man and thinking it might be an interesting read, I bought a copy for my Kobo.

Not wanting to get into the "legalities" of converting for my wife's Kindle2, I jumped over to Amazon to purchase a copy for her. But the book wasn't available yet on Amazon! I had to wait overnight for it to be available.

So ... Either Kobo "jumped the gun," or Amazon was slow - whatever. But Kobo "beat' Amazon for me last night!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Bezos ain't gonna tolerate this
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Bezos ain't gonna tolerate this
Yeah, someone is getting fired over this for sure. :-p
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How neat! I wonder if this is the case with all new releases.
I certainly don't have a need to have a new release available right away seeing as I don't buy books all that often...at least, not yet.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

>> ... I wonder if this is the case with all new releases ..

Oh, I doubt it. Probably just a "timing" issue. I am on the West Coast of the US ...

>> ... I certainly don't have a need to have a new release available right away ...

And this is why I really didn't want 'Net connectivity on my eReader - it eliminates impulsive purchases like this (grin).
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Not wanting to get into the "legalities" of converting for my wife's Kindle2, ... blah blah blah"
I personally would not think twice about doing this. I would not give away ebooks I have purchased, but I will have no problems sharing my entire ebook library with my wife via calibre once my second ereader arrives. Do many people here actually buy two copies of an ebook, when they are to be read in the same household?
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzomys View Post
I personally would not think twice about doing this. I would not give away ebooks I have purchased, but I will have no problems sharing my entire ebook library with my wife via calibre once my second ereader arrives. Do many people here actually buy two copies of an ebook, when they are to be read in the same household?
Interesting question.
When my household gets it's second ereader one of the prerequisites will be that it is compatible with my Kobo's ePubs and PDFs so that we can share the elibrary in ADE.
As ADE allows you to have up to 6 devices I assumed that was completely legal?
I could imagine a one off $10 purchase to avoid stripping DRM and converting etc for a really good book that we just have to have but there is no way I am buying 2 copies of EVERYTHING!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
flexnib
flexnib began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-T2, PRS 950, PRS 350
There are two iPads in my household. Both have the Kindle app installed, using a single Amazon account. As a result each iPad has the same Amazon titles on it. We've managed to read these books with no problems. Mind you, we haven't tried to each read the same book at the same time...
flexnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... we haven't tried to each read the same book at the same time ...

Make sure a fire extinguisher is in the room when you try that.

(grin)

>> ... Do many people here actually buy two copies of an ebook, when they are to be read in the same household?

"Read in the same household" isn't a phrase I've run across as an excuse to duplicate purchases as I peruse the legal agreements that I have entered when dealing with book vendors. You know, those "license agreements" that no one seems to read as they log on to Web sites.

BUT THAT'S NOT WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD! I just found it amusing that Kobo beat Amazon, in this instance ... (grin)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
I would definitely not buy any digital content twice just because they run on different platforms. If you are really that afraid that someone in the future will go after you, you could always delete your wife's mobi (or whatever) file after you convert your epub to mobi and after she is done reading the book.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexnib View Post
There are two iPads in my household. Both have the Kindle app installed, using a single Amazon account. As a result each iPad has the same Amazon titles on it. We've managed to read these books with no problems. Mind you, we haven't tried to each read the same book at the same time...
Try reading the same book with whispersync. You'll just love how your last read page changes for you based on who's what what when.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
Linda S. Prather
Enthusiast
Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.Linda S. Prather lived happily ever after.

Device: none
I can't imagine buying two copies of the same book either. Not really a problem in our household as we read different genres, and if we want to sample one the other has we simply trade off ereaders.
Linda S. Prather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... If you are really that afraid that someone in the future will go after you ...

No - that's not it at all. It's merely a respect for what the authors and vendors desire. Also what we all inherently agree to, too, as we purchase from the "biggies."

I am not independently wealthy, and this is the first time this has come up for me. Which mean, I guess, that my wife and I have varied interests in reading material.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Fair enough, you like to play by the books, which I admire. But some rules are just too absurd not to be broken
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kobo, store