Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 03:15 AM   #16
John Bailey
Connoisseur
John Bailey doesn't litterJohn Bailey doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
And if you want (and read) a single book, you have to download a thousand.
So you're accounted for 1.000 theft even if you intended to do just one.

It depends on how the books are stored I would imagine. I hardly use bit torrent myself, so don't have much experience.

If they are just a torrent file that points to a big archive file, you may not be able to pick what you download, but with Linux distros I torrent at least, there is the option of looking inside a directory that contains all the downloadable files, and picking the ones you want.

It would I imagine, make sense from a bandwidth angle, to allow people to get only the stuff they want instead of everything like it or not.

And knowing the illegal torrent community, there is more than likely someone with the collected works of every major author in a given genre in one huge carefully sorted multi format torrent download.
John Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
It depends on how the books are stored I would imagine. I hardly use bit torrent myself, so don't have much experience.

If they are just a torrent file that points to a big archive file, you may not be able to pick what you download, but with Linux distros I torrent at least, there is the option of looking inside a directory that contains all the downloadable files, and picking the ones you want.

It would I imagine, make sense from a bandwidth angle, to allow people to get only the stuff they want instead of everything like it or not.

And knowing the illegal torrent community, there is more than likely someone with the collected works of every major author in a given genre in one huge carefully sorted multi format torrent download.
Most ebooks on bittorrent networks seem to be compressed archives.
I can understand that, since most books are either TXT, HTML, or LIT files.
Also a lot are PDF. PDF doesn't compress that well. Nevertheless many are compressed in large archives. I even found a 4GB archive with about 23 thousand books. Many of which are public domain books. If I would want to download that rar file, I'm also forced to download the copyrighted books.
(Or not download anything at all).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
expanded that archive can be as large as 5-10 times as large, so 20 gigs,

I dobut pirates care about your Morals. besides which torrents are the worst way to get ebooks, of the 24,000 you speak if. I expect thousands of them have newer, cleaner versions

PDF is just bad, and ussually are conversions from txt or rtf
TXT conversions loose formating, especially Italics

and usually they are out of date. best formats are Lit, HTML, and RTF, and the pirate scene has not accepted them for the most part. Epubs are still frustratingly hard to convert to other formats.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The uncompressed size seems to be around 7,8GB, because a lot of LRF files are in the archive.

I find HTML books the best format. They compress well with ZIP, convert well to about every format, and you can do almost anything with it. If only an ebook reader would read pure .zip, .rar or .7z files, then we could compress HTML books to a very small size, and have about every font and lettertype formatting possible!
It'd probably take a faster processor and larger ram to read those files.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
If only an ebook reader would read pure .zip, .rar or .7z files, then we could compress HTML books to a very small size, and have about every font and lettertype formatting possible!
I that's what epub is--zipped html with enough data attached to allow an ebook reader to read it. I'll grant it would be very nice to just zip an html file or files, rather than having to create the structure around it. But the concept seems to do what you're asking for.

(Disclaimer: I'm terrible at epub. Have not successfully created one, neither with ecub or attempting raw css/code/whatever-it's-called arrangements. I could be missing something large and obvious.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #21
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post

Project Gutenberg Collection is given in one huge ISO file.
The LRF converted version of it, is in a unique giant rar file.

Pirate torrents (SF mostly) are given the same way.
Like music discographies.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #22
kyliedork
Connoisseur
kyliedork doesn't litterkyliedork doesn't litter

Device: kindle
there is alot of traffic via rapidshare & megaupload that they are not including
kyliedork is offline   Reply With Quote