Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Why does the Kindle app have so few formatting options?

I noticed this in the Android version as well. While the app is fast and has a great search feature, there is no choice of fonts, limited font sizes and spacing options and no screen lock toggle. I realize that Amazon wants you to buy Kindles, but what if you already have a Kindle and want better options on your iOS/Android device?

Are there any indications that more options will be added to the apps in the future?
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

The latest Kindle app for the iPad has several font choices and is much better than the other Kindle apps. But it certainly is otherwise lackng in formatting options, like all apps by all major bookstores. Look at the pathetic Sony, B&N Nook, and Kobo apps, as well as iBooks. None are very good nor do I expect any ever will be.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-15-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The latest Kindle app for the iPad has several font choices and is much better than the other Kindle apps.
Thanks for the heads up, didn't notice the update. 4,5 new fonts. I'm stuck on iPad 1, so can't get the update but able to see the new fonts on my newer iPhone.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by menevets View Post
Thanks for the heads up, didn't notice the update. 4,5 new fonts. I'm stuck on iPad 1, so can't get the update but able to see the new fonts on my newer iPhone.
I just checked my older iPod touch 2G and it too cannot be updated to the latest Kindle app, and so it only has one font too.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Its almost enough for one to de-DRM and convert everything to epub. At least then we could use Stanza or another reader and manage our books a bit better.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Its almost enough for one to de-DRM and convert everything to epub. At least then we could use Stanza or another reader and manage our books a bit better.
Not if you like to sync between devices. There are some 3rd party ways to sync, but they are all clunky compared to using Whispersync. If syncing is not an issue, then there are many alternate eReading apps available for ePub, but none worth a crap for mobi.

Apps like Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc. excel in syncing and dictionary lookup, but are lacking when it comes to format options. 3rd party apps are lacking in syncing, dictionary lookup, etc., but they often have more formatting options. Choose your poison...

Last edited by jswinden; 11-15-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
menevets
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Not if you like to sync between devices. There are some 3rd party ways to sync, but they are all clunky compared to using Whispersync. If syncing is not an issue, then there are many alternate eReading apps available for ePub, but none worth a crap for mobi.

Apps like Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc. excel in syncing and dictionary lookup, but are lacking when it comes to format options. 3rd party apps are lacking in syncing, dictionary lookup, etc., but they often have more formatting options. Choose your poison...
I noticed you have a Kindle Fire. Does the Fire reader have more formatting options?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I find I never change the default font on my e-readers. Maybe I'm an outlier on this forum.

Despite its shortcomings, I still find the Kindle app for iPhone to be the best reader available.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by menevets View Post
I noticed you have a Kindle Fire. Does the Fire reader have more formatting options?
No not really. It is fairly light on formatting options although it does have six font choices.

Tags
amazon, ios, kindle