Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
daviesgeek
Geek
daviesgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Exclamation Help uninstalling kindle-jailbreak-0.10.N

I installed the jailbreak_0.10.N_k3w-3.2.1 (Yifan Lu) on my Kindle Keyboard and quickly regretted my decision. The jailbreak has slowed down my Kindle (as it did before) and I really want to uninstall it. How do I do this? As best I can tell, there isn't an uninstaller. I tried using the "update_jailbreak_0.10.N_k3w_uninstall.bin", but the Kindle gave me an error Do I have to wait until there's an uninstaller released? Or am I just missing something?
daviesgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
No, it should work. Did you retry it? Did you completely reset your device and retry it? Are you sure the jailbreak is still installed? (That slowness you report is _not_ what I'm asking for here! Rather you should check by trying to install some simple hack, e.g. launchpad, which would not work if the jailbreak is not installed anymore.)

However, there is no way that a slow down would be the result from the jailbreak. As it works, it does not leave anything running.

My guess is on side-effects by some other thing on your Kindle - or leftovers from another hack that make the jailbreak malfunction.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesgeek View Post
The jailbreak has slowed down my Kindle (as it did before) and I really want to uninstall it.
I agree with hawhill. The jailbreak writes an additional key file to your kindle. That file is used only when installing an update package. That is VERY unlikely to cause any slowdown. What OTHER program did you install that slowed down your Kindle?

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-24-2012 at 11:40 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Re-download the uninstall, reboot the device and try again. I agree the jailbreak should not slow down your device.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
daviesgeek
Geek

Thanks!

Quote:
Did you retry it?
Yes. I've tried uninstalling it three times.

Quote:
Did you completely reset your device and retry it?
Reset?...As in sliding the power switch over and holding it for 25+ seconds while it reboots? No.

Quote:
Are you sure the jailbreak is still installed?
I don't know. I shall check though.
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
daviesgeek
Geek

Quote:
What OTHER program did you install that slowed down your Kindle?
I only installed launchpad and Luigi's Terminal application, both of which I believe I uninstalled.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As addendum, and since you asked a very good question: Yes, with reset I meant full power cycling ("your kindle is starting" or similar on display) with that 20s+ switch pull. I did *not* mean to "reset to factory defaults" which is somewhere, too. Instead of that power cycling, chosing "reset" in the menu of the settings dialogue is sufficient, too.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
daviesgeek
Geek

Ah. Thanks so much for clarifying that!

Quote:
Instead of that power cycling, chosing "reset" in the menu of the settings dialogue is sufficient, too.
Would that be "restart" not "reset"?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
hawhill
Wizard

Yes, of course you are right. I wasn't remembering it correctly.

Tags
jailbreak kindle, kindle 3, uninstall