Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I did it, I did it!

Well, I know I said I will try to like the pink Opus. I tried to glue skin around the sides not to see it. But it doesn't look good. Black Opus is sold out on Bookeen site, unavailable on pixmania.be and becoming more of a white (hee hee) raven these days. And Odyssey will need some ironing out from what I read. So a black Opus was haunting me (why oh why I didn't listen to my husband a year ago when he said black!) and was becoming some kind of Holy Grail, there in my face but I couldn't get hold of it.

Especially teasing the good offer from Waterstones - but they don't sell overseas and I don't know anyone to ask to go for trouble to buy me one. I searched all ebays and finally on ebay.fr I found a brand new black Opus for acceptable price. I bought it .)))))))))))))) I hope it will arrive soon and will work well.

I was so excited I couldn't sleep well tonight so now at work (cough) I'm quite dead - but happy!

I'll see if I can sell Mr Pink somehow. Or keep it as spare.

Just sharing my happiness and cross fingers it works out fine (and knock on wood and anything not to jinx it)
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Good luck Chi!

Yesterday I managed to get my hands on discounted Opus from Waterstone. Not for myself but as a gift to someone else and I am currently testing it capabilities.

It is really a very nice device that I would like to keep it myself The size is very convenient. It provides even more comfortable reading than 6" Kindle. The possibility to change font type is also a very nice feature.

Other features are less impressive. Accelerometer that is supposed to guess the orientation works too unreliably that I switched it off. The forward/back buttons on side can be transposed but sometimes it fails after waking up from sleep mode. So, I switched it off as well.

Dictionary support for mobi is there but it also works only partially. The bigger dictionary files didn't work and crashed the device. With some other smaller dictionaries it works fine but it is not the most convenient to use. One has to press too many buttons.

But if dictionary is not essential then this is a nifty device. Mobipocket firmware works with Russian and Latvian texts perfectly. It is not a Perl e-ink but the screen looks very nice that I don't notice any difference from Kindle WiFi.

For the price of £50 it is a perfect no-frills e-reader both for home reading and carrying around in a pocket or bag.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Good luck on that Black Opus. I love my black Opus. I could never read on a Pink Device... that would drive me nuts. I am even considering getting a back up Opus before they run out of stock. All the new readers this year do not impress me except maybe the Kindle Touch... would rather see and Opus with a pearl screen, Pdf Reflow.....etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Well, I know I said I will try to like the pink Opus. I tried to glue skin around the sides not to see it. But it doesn't look good. Black Opus is sold out on Bookeen site, unavailable on pixmania.be and becoming more of a white (hee hee) raven these days. And Odyssey will need some ironing out from what I read. So a black Opus was haunting me (why oh why I didn't listen to my husband a year ago when he said black!) and was becoming some kind of Holy Grail, there in my face but I couldn't get hold of it.

Especially teasing the good offer from Waterstones - but they don't sell overseas and I don't know anyone to ask to go for trouble to buy me one. I searched all ebays and finally on ebay.fr I found a brand new black Opus for acceptable price. I bought it .)))))))))))))) I hope it will arrive soon and will work well.

I was so excited I couldn't sleep well tonight so now at work (cough) I'm quite dead - but happy!

I'll see if I can sell Mr Pink somehow. Or keep it as spare.

Just sharing my happiness and cross fingers it works out fine (and knock on wood and anything not to jinx it)
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you karunaji!

I indeed find Opus better than Kindle and have them both. I realised I really love Opus only after I bought the Kindle -3G being the one and only reason to get it for. I turned off accelerometer as well and only use it to change if I need landscape and then block it again. Since I use epub firmware then it's no dictionary but indeed doesn't matter to me. I can forget my phone going out but not Opus. Screen is good and I don't see much difference with Kindle (although Kindle has darker letters) I uploaded times new roman and it's all I need. Kindle was useful in Europe for gmail but otherwise it is in the cupboard gathering dust.

Hidari, thank you too!

I think I learned my lesson well not to buy any other bezel color than black, ever. Pink was driving me absolutely nuts, to the point I couldn't bear it anymore and to splash money on a non pink one. I couldn't even stand pink margins or buttons and would put skin on them too. I do understand you want to back up Opus. Hurry up if so because they are already becoming rare (black ones) I MAY even keep pinky (battery donor for example) but I will ask decalgirl to make custom plain matte black skin for it. I am also not so impressed by all other readers out there. Odyssey doesn't seem to have that undefined "something" to make me want to buy it. And it seems half baked for the moment (apparently like Opus in 2009) It is weird how they issue readers these days with great features and among them one majorly screwed up that just ruins it a lot (Kindle Touch with no landscape? Odyssey with 1 line notes and no English dictionary? WHY???) Pearl is not necessary for me and I avoid PDF.

Anyway I got confirmation my black Opus is on its way from France and I keep checking tracking number. A bit of relief there, ebay is never 100% sure. I hope it will work well, it is an unused one.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Believe it or not, I bought Opus for myself too.

I am actually a person who is looking towards powerful features in e-ink readers. And I have been very frustrated with the current progress. Except for Kindle dictionary, all other features are buggy, slow or otherwise unusable.

I want a reader that I could use for making notes, preferably pdf but the text format would be nice too. Kindle note-making feature is too slow. I want an e-reader that can display all major file formats (mobi, epub, docx, html, pdf etc.). I was looking for 10" screen but all the reviews have been so negative that I never dared to pay several hundred euros for it. I don't want to pay for an e-reader that announces all those features but in practice they are not very usable. Even the only thing that is good in the Kindle, the dictionary, has been crippled in Kindle Touch and Fire. What a disgrace!

Until someone makes such an e-reader, there is no use to punish myself by being early adopter using their half-finished products. The usable features in Opus are exactly the same as in any other reader. I don't need dictionary for Latvian books and the loading process is exactly the same as for the Kindle or any other reader (preparing files with Calibre and loading them via USB).

The difference is that Opus is lighter, smaller, easier to carry around. I didn't notice any difference in screen quality between Kindle and Opus. Kindle has darker letters but also darker background.

And of course, the current price is exactly what I expected to pay for it. I was lucky because I happened to be visiting the UK during these days.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Congratulations karunaji!

My black Opus apparently arrived yesterday at the post office but due to wonderful opening hours of the post office I cannot pick it up until next week probably, not even on Saturday. Darn it x 100 because if it arrived today I was home all day...

As a general rule I avoid pdf. I slightly miss dictionary on Opus but not so much, a little bit bookmarks but for the rest I don't care. I don't make notes either. When I was searching for the perfect one for me last year the rule was it reads my tribal language with all those weird signs. Opus does and I was surprised that a 5" size doesn't bother me. Anyway what actually IS the big deal with Pearl screen as old vizplex is not bad at all? I was expecting Pearl on Kindle being much whiter with darker letters but as you say, can't see much difference.

I ordered black custom matte skin for the pink Opus and red cover on ebay. I don't have the heart to sell Mr Pink...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Hey, I can finally play with my brand new black Opus
Gee, I made a (knock on wood) good purchase! The screen is whiter (!) and it is way faster than the pink one. What I didn't expect is that buttons are much softer to press - what a relief! It even seems to be slightly thinner than the pink one as it slides a little in the cover that pink was wearing.
It has the latest firmware and maybe that's why it is faster. Pink has now a navy skin on it so the screen on black Opus must be whiter as both have dark bezels. I LOVE it!

Me happy! <insert happy little dance here>
Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Congrats......May you Read Long and Prosper on your New OPUS!!! Viva Bookeen.....Viva OPUS>>>>>>>>>
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
irmar
irmar began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook plus 360
I am another Bookeen Opus lover. I wouldn't change it for any other!
I bought the pearly white one, and it's so easy on the eyes. I don't like black technological things. My laptop is black, unfortunately, but both my new cellphone is white, and the laptop I bought my daughter is pink and white (the Toshiba Satellite L655-16U http://www.ideal.gr/index.php?option...915&Itemid=815. I think pink is just gorgeous! Of course, it's a very light baby pearly pink, tempered with white...
irmar is offline   Reply With Quote