Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #121
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
I can select delete, but as you surmised, they don't go away. I am sure because of the r/w.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #122
Stileau
Stileau began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Color
Removing Guides from Home Page

The current update allows you to click and hold on the guides and select "remove from home." They still reside in the directory, so if you want them gone, you still have to use the methods discussed above, but at least you can get them off the main page.
Stileau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #123
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Got it. Sorry I could not find the mount option. Guess the "Root Explorer" is a paid version and not the same I downloaded as it was free. Still, I couldn't get it to work and found Super Manager worked. Had to turn on the root function under settings. I hope this helps some other weary traveler!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #124
Stileau

Making Cover Photos Show

Most of my side-loaded covers didn't show originally, so I started reading this thread and trying some of the methods mentioned with little success.

However, after looking some at the files on the NC, I found that the problem was mostly in the main thumnail directory. It seems that the books that were not displaying a cover had a thumnail file of zero length in the directory. I deleted the empty files and had Calibre refresh the ePubs. Once I shut down and restarted the Nook, voila! all of the covers appeared.

If it works for anyone else, it is a much faster and simpler solution...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #125
Themus
Zealot

USB adb Driver Snag

I think I have a problem with the usb adb driver now. My Nook Color will come up with USB mode when plugged into my usb port, but I no longer get a dialog box popping up; Calibre no longer sees it, and it doesn't show up in device manager.

I wonder how I can restore B&N's usb driver and then use the adb wireless method alone. Anyone have this problem?
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #126
Themus
Zealot

The solution is to re-install the abd usb_drivers. [http://forum.androidcentral.com/barn...nd-error.html] then under Device Manager, remove device driver under Android Phone. Restart the computer. Plug Nook Color into usb port. It should re-load the original drives.

I am going to stick with the abd wireless driver. I am Running Windows 7-64 bit. Again, I pass this on so others can benefit from my "mistakes."
Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #127
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Blank cover icon - no title or author

Yesterday I had a new experience. I sideloaded an EPUB with DRM first by drag-and-drop method. Typically I get the author/title icon template on DRM-books. This book was blank - just an empty square. I powered on & off. Pressed the sync button. Switched to other screens. Nothing refreshed. So then I added the book to my calibre library. Metadata for title and author looked fine. I then transferred the book to my NC via calibre. Made no difference compared to drag-and-drop. Still a blank icon. I'm not expecting an image because it has DRM. I do expect to see the title/author info though.

Anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas what causes that problem?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #128
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yesterday I had a new experience. I sideloaded an EPUB with DRM first by drag-and-drop method. Typically I get the author/title icon template on DRM-books. This book was blank - just an empty square. I powered on & off. Pressed the sync button. Switched to other screens. Nothing refreshed. So then I added the book to my calibre library. Metadata for title and author looked fine. I then transferred the book to my NC via calibre. Made no difference compared to drag-and-drop. Still a blank icon. I'm not expecting an image because it has DRM. I do expect to see the title/author info though.

Anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas what causes that problem?
I had the same problem with a book I bought at kobo. I also have another book with no tite at all but it was drm free. I haven't had time to play with it yet to fix it. What a pain though as I don't know what book it is until I open it.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #129
Themus
Zealot

@hharan, when I long press on a B&N book that the cover didn't come over right, but placed a cover with the exact same name of the book in the folder with the book, NookColorFileManager is not showing me the option to refresh it.

Did I misunderstand and this only works for side loaded books?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #130
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I had the same problem with a book I bought at kobo. I also have another book with no tite at all but it was drm free. I haven't had time to play with it yet to fix it. What a pain though as I don't know what book it is until I open it.
Thanks for the response, Care! I bought this book from Sony. I have a few books with title only, but I know that's because there is no author metadata. Most of my books are from Sony or Kobo. So far it's only been this one book that has been an issue. But, if I had several books with blank icons then that would be an even bigger pain!

Any idea how to fix it (that is besides remove the DRM)?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #131
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
@hharan, when I long press on a B&N book that the cover didn't come over right, but placed a cover with the exact same name of the book in the folder with the book, NookColorFileManager is not showing me the option to refresh it.

Did I misunderstand and this only works for side loaded books?
Yes. I disabled it for B&N books since covers seem to work fine for them.
Can you give me the book name that has the cover issue?
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #132
Themus
Zealot

Sure, its a big book. ESV Study Bible. The cover comes out generic, gray.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #133
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stileau View Post
Most of my side-loaded covers didn't show originally, so I started reading this thread and trying some of the methods mentioned with little success.

However, after looking some at the files on the NC, I found that the problem was mostly in the main thumnail directory. It seems that the books that were not displaying a cover had a thumnail file of zero length in the directory. I deleted the empty files and had Calibre refresh the ePubs. Once I shut down and restarted the Nook, voila! all of the covers appeared.

If it works for anyone else, it is a much faster and simpler solution...
curious, has anyone else had success with this method?

Stileau, is it still working for you? and when you say refresh do you just mean reload to the nook or refresh in calbre then reload?
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #134
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdzhlpr View Post
curious, has anyone else had success with this method?

Stileau, is it still working for you? and when you say refresh do you just mean reload to the nook or refresh in calbre then reload?
I looked in my files that didn't work and they all had normal size files for the pics. So obviously my problem is something else...
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #135
Stileau

Unfortunately, this was only true (the zero-length files) for some of those I loaded when I first set up the NC. Since then, I have loaded some that refused to display cover art and have normal size thumbnail files. Sooo, I am back to fixing them the long way.

Oh well.