Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
jmajluf
jmajluf began at the beginning.

Device: None
How different will this new kondle be with the dx?
does anyone know if it will have a touchscreen?
jmajluf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnowimcoolx View Post
I'm waiting for when a color eink reaches $250 range. It may be awhile but I'm not big on early adopting anyways.
1st Generation Kindle (b & w)
2nd Generation Kindle (b & w) <--Current generation
3rd Generation Kindle (allegedly August 2010 + b & w)
4th Generation Kindle (likely color)
5th Generation Kindle (2nd generation color)

Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
I've got to ask you folks: How important is the ability to download a book on the fly, so to speak? Do you really find yourself needing a book so badly, that you couldn't wait until you reached your computer and internet connection to download a book?

I ask this because, in my life I'm able to plan ahead enough to download 4 or 5 books at a time and when the shelf starts to look a little bare, I download a few more. I read on a Sony PRS505 and have no built in internet and don't find it disadvantage. I do like this method because it allows me to keep a copy on my computer in addition to my eReader.

TIA.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I think it depends. For me it is nice to hear about a book and download just a sample..it's also nice to just browse or read reviews.

not all people with ereaders have computers..I do but it is nice to do things sometimes without having to boot up
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
I could care less what the next Kindle has. I am happy with the K2i. I think the collections were an overkill. I just want to read with it.
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I've got to ask you folks: How important is the ability to download a book on the fly, so to speak? Do you really find yourself needing a book so badly, that you couldn't wait until you reached your computer and internet connection to download a book?
Don't forget that there is a large group of older Kindle users that don't want to fuss with cables and usb transfers (or computers at all). The ability to pull up the Amazon store on their device and "click -- read" is invaluable to them. I know many owners in their 50's and 60's that just don't have the desire (or skills) to download a book to their computer... remember where they downloaded it to... hook the kindle up to the computer and do the transfer. Everything is self-contained for them and they love it. They get their kids/grandkids to setup their Amazon account for them and away they go. I know several older Kindle owners who never go near a PC.

I'm sure it's a rather small portion of the overall demographic, but there's definitely a group who wouldn't own an ereader if they had to fuss with a computer to use it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post

I ask this because, in my life I'm able to plan ahead enough to download 4 or 5 books at a time and when the shelf starts to look a little bare, I download a few more. I read on a Sony PRS505 and have no built in internet and don't find it disadvantage. I do like this method because it allows me to keep a copy on my computer in addition to my eReader.

TIA.
I gotta tell ya, there are times when it is HUGE for me!!! I spend a lot of time living/working (part time) on a mountain teaching skiing. even though our teachers lodge supposedly has internet, storms take it out a LOT! a lot of times those storms shut down the mountain, so that means I am skiing a lot more. alternately I spend a fair amount of time showing horses, and I don't have computer access there. sometimes a horse gets sick or there is hinky business in the barn and we take turns staying up watching things. a lot of reading goes on then. I know a fair amount of folks that do a lot of RVing and/or sailing, this is also a big deal for them. I'm not a soldier anymore, but having a Kindle with that ability would have made a HUGE difference in my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granvillen View Post
I could care less what the next Kindle has. I am happy with the K2i. I think the collections were an overkill. I just want to read with it.
the lack of collections (actually folders) were a massive rallying cry almost immediately with the K1 even!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #23
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
When older people comment on my reading device (I've been switching among my various devices trying to find the sweet spot) I almost always recommend the Kindle because of the ease in purchasing and downloading books from Amazon.

(Mind you older to me is 70+ since I'm early 50s and computer literate.)

I don't buy that much from Amazon but it's a nice feature and I've used it more than once for impulse purchases. But I love the samples the most! Even if I don't buy the book from Amazon, another retailer may benefit.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #24
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Thanks for your responses even if you are rubbing in the fact I am past Social Security age. I am somewhat computer literate. I started out on a Sony PRS 500 when they first came out and developed my book management style then. I download to my computer and then stock my Sony as needed. I've yet to be caught with an empty reader.
Then too, I'm retired and only travel when I want, and then my laptop goes with me and I use a Verizon 3G USB modem..I'm connected that way.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #25
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Thanks for your responses even if you are rubbing in the fact I am past Social Security age. I am somewhat computer literate. I started out on a Sony PRS 500 when they first came out and developed my book management style then. I download to my computer and then stock my Sony as needed. I've yet to be caught with an empty reader.
Then too, I'm retired and only travel when I want, and then my laptop goes with me and I use a Verizon 3G USB modem..I'm connected that way.
d00d! you're like my neighbor! across the inlet and stuff but still! howdy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:

TIA.
That was EXACTLY the same thought i had BEFORE i was ordering my first kindle. I did it with the feeling at least the whispernet feature will be a nice to have for me but useless at all.

That changed after the Kindle arrived and i found out i am a reallly lazy person.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #27
jholanda
jholanda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
That was EXACTLY the same thought i had BEFORE i was ordering my first kindle. I did it with the feeling at least the whispernet feature will be a nice to have for me but useless at all.

That changed after the Kindle arrived and i found out i am a reallly lazy person.
+1

Though I don't think it's a matter of lazyness: it just sounds natural and obvious after you get to know it.
jholanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #28
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
I think wispernet is a great plus,

Imagine you need to go to anyplace short notice (daytrip, doctor etc.)

So you just take your kindle with you and anytime you would have nothing to do, you just take it out and browse the kindle store for some samples! You don't even need to buy the book, it's like a bookstore in your pocket!

So this way you can read some free samples and eventually buy the book.
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #29
Rob612
Rob612 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am an avid reader, and i really mean avid. Im also around 50 and extremely into IT as it has been my job for the last few decades. I have no problems in fussing around with cables, usb and stuff. But... there's a but. Nothing beats being able anywhere, anyplace, any moment to browse, get samples and eventually buy a book. Its true, one can plan in advance and all but the simple fact that you dont "need" to plan in my opinion cuts the bill perfectly. Its all I wanted, i do not care about fancy stuff, high tech things. I have them and i use them a lot, and i even have a lot of fun with them... but what i really wanted was a BOOK. A permanent book. Stand alone, only thing it needs is a changer, and that too not too often. I dont think to the K2i i have as a tech tool. I just see it as a book with a huge library permenently attached to it, just weighting grams instead of tons. And i just LOVE it that way
Rob612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob612 View Post
I am an avid reader, and i really mean avid. Im also around 50 and extremely into IT as it has been my job for the last few decades. I have no problems in fussing around with cables, usb and stuff. But... there's a but. Nothing beats being able anywhere, anyplace, any moment to browse, get samples and eventually buy a book. Its true, one can plan in advance and all but the simple fact that you dont "need" to plan in my opinion cuts the bill perfectly. Its all I wanted, i do not care about fancy stuff, high tech things. I have them and i use them a lot, and i even have a lot of fun with them... but what i really wanted was a BOOK. A permanent book. Stand alone, only thing it needs is a changer, and that too not too often. I dont think to the K2i i have as a tech tool. I just see it as a book with a huge library permenently attached to it, just weighting grams instead of tons. And i just LOVE it that way

I agree with you 100%: My library is incredible, and the newer Literary novels [from Amazon] that I want to read are becoming more and more available every day.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote