Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #106
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
My mother made me stop reading on my bike. She was probably right, but at the time I felt it was very unfair.
Your mother was right; it's dangerous. Bikes don't have cruise control; but cars do

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #107
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Well, it's all moot now anyway. I'm old enough that my knees and ankles don't like it when I ride a bike, and I've got audiobooks anyway.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #108
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

...and even better with a pizza burger

OMG i felt full just looking at that
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #109
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Your mother was right; it's dangerous. Bikes don't have cruise control; but cars do

The Shah of Iran sent some of his young men to the US to be trained as fighter pilots. One, who's father was wealthy, bought a full sized van. It was outfitted with all of the luxuries. He activated the cruise controls and climbed into the back to watch television. He thought it was the same as autopilot.
True story.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #110
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #111
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I listen whilst driving (iphone FM'd to the car radio) or whilst riding my exercise bike. Either way I get through a few books in a year. I get through more by active reading though. Still not as many as B.C. (Before Computer)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #112
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
audio book good on long drive on
one road
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #113
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I can't stand audio books, I remember back in high school hearing the audio book for Romeo and Juliet or even Hamlet... it just wasn't the same as me actually reading it. At least for me I get lost when reading a book, so hearing someone speak aloud would just ruin the experience of the book.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #114
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.Forever. View Post
I can't stand audio books, I remember back in high school hearing the audio book for Romeo and Juliet or even Hamlet... it just wasn't the same as me actually reading it. At least for me I get lost when reading a book, so hearing someone speak aloud would just ruin the experience of the book.
You do realize those are plays, intended to be read to you by players on a stage, right?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #115
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You do realize those are plays, intended to be read to you by players on a stage, right?
A most excellent point.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #116
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.Forever. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I think it depends on the person/persons doing the reading. When an audiobooks is performed by a good reader, I can lose myself in the story just as I can with a good book.

A related issue is anime dubbing. Good dubbing can enhance your enjoyment of the story, while a bad dubbing can ruin a good anime.

On the subject of recordings of plays, I have a recording of the 1956 performance of "Waiting For Godot" starring Bert Lahr (done soon after the play made its debut). While the performance is great, there is at least one scene (the hat-cycle bit) that is missing because is doesn't work as audio only.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #117
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The Shah of Iran sent some of his young men to the US to be trained as fighter pilots. One, who's father was wealthy, bought a full sized van. It was outfitted with all of the luxuries. He activated the cruise controls and climbed into the back to watch television. He thought it was the same as autopilot.
True story.
Apache
You do realize that stores like these are rooted in xenophobia? The rich but stupid Iranian who dies of his own ignorance. More money than common sense. Because we all know if you are from that part of the world, you can't be smart or technologically adept.

I went to flight school in the early eighties and flew with many guys from the middle east. They were the same mix of intelligence as any other group of students.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #118
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post
You do realize that stores like these are rooted in xenophobia? The rich but stupid Iranian who dies of his own ignorance. More money than common sense. Because we all know if you are from that part of the world, you can't be smart or technologically adept.

I went to flight school in the early eighties and flew with many guys from the middle east. They were the same mix of intelligence as any other group of students.
That story has been passed around attributed to everyone from a redneck to a little old lady from suburbia. No different than any other <insert ethnicity here> joke.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #119
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
No, it's not just you. An audiobook (or a movie) is going forward whether you're focusing on it or not. In contrast, action in a book happens ONLY when you're focused on it.
I think the only thing audiobooks are good for is listening to them while you're doing something else. If you have a job that lets you do that, which doesn't need concentration, you probably have a boring job.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #120
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post

This is not a story this happened.
I did not in any way mean to imply that all Iranians are ignorant or uneducated. Most who came over were the brightest young men you could wish for. And he did not die in the crash.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote