Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I love first lines almost as much as titles

Here is a great article someone brought to my attention from Writer's Digest. Some examples and thoughts about opening a novel (or non-fiction for that matter).

Quote:

Reflecting on awful first lines (and, admittedly, drinking out of this delightful Great First Lines of Literature Mug) got me thinking about the inverse. In no particular order, here are some of my favorite openings. Share yours in the Comments below.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
—Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

A screaming comes across the sky.
—Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
—George Orwell, 1984

It was a pleasure to burn.
—Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-...-start-a-novel
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
how can "It was a dark and stormy night" not make the list! Snoopy is the best author of our era!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Some authors have used the first line of their book as their title. Songs can work with that also.

I kind of like it but only if not too contrived.

A simple example would be

"Wow"
(delivered by Christopher Walken in the movie version.)

My favorite line comes from a Chrysler "Hemi" commercial.

"That can't be good!"

That could fit almost any modern day story, though I haven't used it yet.

Keep checking the lists, folks.

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm pleased to see Pride and Prejudice made it into the comments, it's still one of my favourites, and indicates my preference.

Too many, too often, seem to be trying too hard. They sound like they're trying to be their own epigraph rather than a true part of the text. The ones that work best (for me) are the ones that feel like a natural part of what follows, they just happen to be also significant on their own. (As is the case with Pride and Prejudice).

A contrary example (from the link), is something like this one:

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
-- Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

I do like what this says, but it doesn't (to me) really feel like part of the text. It could have been put on a page on its own out front somewhere. It was something written to be a first line, and it could be a first line to a wide assortment of books.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm pleased to see Pride and Prejudice made it into the comments, it's still one of my favourites, and indicates my preference.

Too many, too often, seem to be trying too hard. They sound like they're trying to be their own epigraph rather than a true part of the text. The ones that work best (for me) are the ones that feel like a natural part of what follows, they just happen to be also significant on their own. (As is the case with Pride and Prejudice).

A contrary example (from the link), is something like this one:

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
-- Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

I do like what this says, but it doesn't (to me) really feel like part of the text. It could have been put on a page on its own out front somewhere. It was something written to be a first line, and it could be a first line to a wide assortment of books.
Agreed.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I'll be honest. First lines are not my strength. I keep trying to come up with something magical, but it always sounds lame. I believe truly great first lines are a combination of inspiration and luck.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
I'll be honest. First lines are not my strength. I keep trying to come up with something magical, but it always sounds lame. I believe truly great first lines are a combination of inspiration and luck.
As much as I love them, I also don't believe there are 'perfect' opening lines, many great novels open with pedestrian lines.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think Dickens places high up for memorable 1st lines:
Quote:

It was the best of times,
it was the worst of times,
it was the age of wisdom,
it was the age of foolishness,
it was the epoch of belief,
it was the epoch of incredulity,
it was the season of Light,
it was the season of Darkness,
it was the spring of hope,
it was the winter of despair,

we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way— in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
~A Tale of Two Cities
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
And they only become great first lines if they are in a book that is popular with the reading public at large. If the book isn't read how will anyone remember if the 1st line was well written or not?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think Dickens places high up for memorable 1st lines:
Yep, I was a bit shocked when in the article for "3. A statement of paired facts." that was not used as the example.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, I was a bit shocked when in the article for "3. A statement of paired facts." that was not used as the example.
Maybe they felt it was too current. Certainly he seems to almost be talking about our present day.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Maybe they felt it was too current. Certainly he seems to almost be talking about our present day.
could be
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
kennyc

Wikiquotes opening lines:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Opening_lines
Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Interesting. I noticed that Dickens seems to be quoted more than the others. He knew his craft certainly.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
kennyc

He certainly knew the importance of the