Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Smile T1 USB vs Wall charger

When I first got the T1 i used usb to charge it... now I have switched to the ac charger and the device seems to like it better lol it's probably a delusion but the charge seems to last longer as well what experiences have others had with this ?
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
My opinion is anyone who thinks the wall charger makes it last longer is probably imagining it, the way I see it is it's 5 volts going in either way no matter where it comes from.

I will admit I have seen others say the same thing although it is also possible your pc's USB isn't quite up to supplying the voltage, wall charger is probably the best option as long as it isn't a cheap one but shouldn't really make a difference in how long the device lasts.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
My opinion is anyone who thinks the wall charger makes it last longer is probably imagining it, the way I see it is it's 5 volts going in either way no matter where it comes from.

I will admit I have seen others say the same thing although it is also possible your pc's USB isn't quite up to supplying the voltage, wall charger is probably the best option as long as it isn't a cheap one but shouldn't really make a difference in how long the device lasts.
It isn't the voltage (which is, as you say, 5v), it's the CURRENT and the real difference is quality/speed of charge due to available current... USB sockets on computers supply a maximum of 500mA (and often less) whereas wall chargers normally range from 1,000 - 2,000 mA which means that the charge time is substantially reduced as well as never stopping (and discharging the device) by going to sleep... they give optimum charging cycles as battery is are designed to take fast (high current) charging to 80% and then drop back to trickle charging to finish. This probably does extend a single charge cycle if you read the manufacturer and inventor's specifications for Li-On and Li-polymer batteries and is certainly more efficient as well as taking less time to charge.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
What kind of wall charger do you use?
I've got a belkin that says the output is 5Vdc 1A, but when I plug the usb cord into it, my T1 [and my 505] won't charge. At least, no light comes on to indicate it.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I've got a belkin that says the output is 5Vdc 1A, but when I plug the usb cord into it, my T1 [and my 505] won't charge. At least, no light comes on to indicate it.
Might need to check the USB cable... probably should have data lines shorted to work properly and have never got 505 to charge via USB wall charger unless using USB to micro-Philips plug (the cylindrical one) rather than USB-USB mini.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
True, I have a Belkin 5V / 1A Power Adapter as well, and nothing happens when I try to use it with my Portable Reading System T2. I didn't even notice this before..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
It isn't the voltage (which is, as you say, 5v), it's the CURRENT and the real difference is quality/speed of charge due to available current... USB sockets on computers supply a maximum of 500mA (and often less) whereas wall chargers normally range from 1,000 - 2,000 mA which means that the charge time is substantially reduced as well as never stopping (and discharging the device) by going to sleep... they give optimum charging cycles as battery is are designed to take fast (high current) charging to 80% and then drop back to trickle charging to finish. This probably does extend a single charge cycle if you read the manufacturer and inventor's specifications for Li-On and Li-polymer batteries and is certainly more efficient as well as taking less time to charge.
Yes more amps may charge the device faster if the device can handle it but that isn't necessarily a good thing for the battery and is also very unlikely to make the battery hold more.

Looking at my Sony Vita charger it supplies 1500ma and looks like it's pretty much the same charger Sony uses for the T1 so I'll presume the T1 can handle it.
Convenient and potentially faster to charge I'll agree but holding more charge I still have a problem with, while stranger thing's have happened I still believe the slower a battery is charged the more effective it is.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Yes more amps may charge the device faster if the device can handle it but that isn't necessarily a good thing for the battery and is also very unlikely to make the battery hold more.

Looking at my Sony Vita charger it supplies 1500ma and looks like it's pretty much the same charger Sony uses for the T1 so I'll presume the T1 can handle it.
Convenient and potentially faster to charge I'll agree but holding more charge I still have a problem with, while stranger thing's have happened I still believe the slower a battery is charged the more effective it is.
My comments are based on the specifications for this type of battery from the manufacturers and designers of the batteries... try googling Li-On or Li-polymer specifications or similar and you can find the ACTUAL details and recommendations for them rather than anecdotal "evidence"
Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Kids, I did some research now.. You need to wait a few minutes after plugging the Sony to this Belkin Power Charger thing. Then it will charge, the LED will blink and everything's fine..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
My comments are based on the specifications for this type of battery from the manufacturers and designers of the batteries... try googling Li-On or Li-polymer specifications or similar and you can find the ACTUAL details and recommendations for them rather than anecdotal "evidence"
Just did apparently it's better for the battery to be charged slower as the heat can be quite damaging to the lifespan and the battery can only hit a certain mah/capacity nomatter what way it's charged.

So no difference in capacity as I originally said.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
My Sony PRS-300 will not charge directly from any USB mains charger but only from a USB port on a computer. This is a restriction made by Sony and may also be the issue on your 505. I think this was meant to encourage us to buy Sony's expensive dedicated non-USB charger.

Quote:
Might need to check the USB cable... probably should have data lines shorted to work properly and have never got 505 to charge via USB wall charger unless using USB to micro-Philips plug (the cylindrical one) rather than USB-USB mini.
Not sure about "shorting data lines" but maybe this Philips plug acts like Sony's charger.

Last edited by Agama; 01-03-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: typo
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
My Sony PRS-300 will not charge directly from any USB mains charger but only from a USB port on a computer. This is a restriction made by Sony and may also be the issue on your 505. I think this was meant to encourage us to buy Sony's expensive dedicated non-USB charger.
I actually blame Apple more all the chargers compatible with Apple tend not to work on the T1 and some other devices, you can get round it though if you have a charger cable like the ones that come with powermonkey, Freeloader etc

I use one I got with the swiss charger pack and it lets me charge the T1 from anywhere, you will definitely have problems if you use the Sony supplied cable including the device crashing.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I did buy the Sony charger. Months later, I got a new cell phone (a basic Samsung flip phone) and it turns out its charger works for the PRS-T1, as does its car charger. However, a 5 volt car adapter/charger I had for another device does not work. Don't know what the difference is.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I did buy the Sony charger. Months later, I got a new cell phone (a basic Samsung flip phone) and it turns out its charger works for the PRS-T1, as does its car charger. However, a 5 volt car adapter/charger I had for another device does not work. Don't know what the difference is.
Yeah pretty much everyone keeps to the USB standard but Apple they had to mess things up a bit, pretty much any micro-usb charger should work the only problem comes when trying to use the Apple compatible plug chargers as far as I know.

I've so many micro USB and Mini Usb charging cables it's as well they all work with each other or I'd never be able to find the right ones anymore.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
This thread suggest that USB charging only works with the PRS-300 with a computer on the other end: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68461.

It sounds as though the T1 has improved things, as long as you get the right USB charger. So much for standards!
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote