Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #886
evamaria
evamaria began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question FFDL crashes Calibre again

Hi there - unfortunately, with the latest update FFDL is once again crashing Calibre whenever I try to use the plugin. Any idea why?

My debug log:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.9.0
Darwin-10.8.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin
('Darwin', '10.8.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.3
OSX: ('10.6.8', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Starting up...
macmenuhack file_path:/Users/evamaria/Library/Preferences/calibre/plugins/fanfictiondownloader_macmenuhack.txt
Started up in 7.00 seconds with 952 books

Thanks as always for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: rtf crash report.rtf (59.4 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by evamaria; 09-28-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Adding an attachment
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #887
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evamaria View Post
Hi there - unfortunately, with the latest update FFDL is once again crashing Calibre whenever I try to use the plugin. Any idea why?

My debug log:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.9.0
Darwin-10.8.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin
('Darwin', '10.8.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.3
OSX: ('10.6.8', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Starting up...
macmenuhack file_path:/Users/evamaria/Library/Preferences/calibre/plugins/fanfictiondownloader_macmenuhack.txt
Started up in 7.00 seconds with 952 books

Thanks as always for your help!
If you haven't already, go create a file named /Users/evamaria/Library/Preferences/calibre/plugins/fanfictiondownloader_macmenuhack.txt

See http://code.google.com/p/fanficdownl...rCalibrePlugin regarding "Mac User Crashes"
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #888
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
My main problems are these two stories. I managed to update the other three. I'm using the latest plugin.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #889
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
My main problems are these two stories. I managed to update the other three. I'm using the latest plugin.
Impatient much? I said I have other things going on this weekend earlier...

Here's a version--with very little testing--that I think fixes those issues. At least one of them, (the Anonymous author) needs more work, but this will have to do for now.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-01-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #890
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Impatient much? I said I have other things going on this weekend earlier...
Sorry. I only wanted to say I managed to solve the problem of the other three stories. I haven't really been following the posts these last few days.
Advert
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #891
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Hey there! I've been having trouble with one story from one site, and can't figure out what's wrong. I had downloaded it and updated it successfully up through about 19 chapters, then it stopped working when I tried to update from chapter 20 on. I deleted the original story from my library, then tried to download it from scratch, and it gives me the error attached below.

I am logged into the site properly and have all the appropriate permissions set. I'm also using the default background, which I know had been an issue with this site at one point. For reference, the url is: http://www.grangerenchanted.com/ench...y.php?sid=4771

Any ideas? Thank you once again for your terrific fic tool!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GE Error.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	93095  
Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #892
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklls View Post
I am logged into the site properly and have all the appropriate permissions set. I'm also using the default background, which I know had been an issue with this site at one point. For reference, the url is: http://www.grangerenchanted.com/ench...y.php?sid=4771
grangerenchanted.com--plus sg1heliopolis.com & themasque.net--all have the same problem dokuga.com had.

It will be fixed in the next version, but for now, this test version should correct those problems.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-01-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #893
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Thank you! I'll give it a try.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #894
besnef
besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.

Device: Android Phone
I found this plugin a few weeks ago and was thrilled (it updates!). I haven't even scratched the surface of all the things I can do and configure with it.

It also gave me the chance to solve a problem. My mother wants to save stories (and eventually read them on a separate device) from the new 'blog style' fanfiction forum at InDeath.net and I was looking for a good way to let her create epub files from the stories.

So I wrote an adapter for that (it's a bit metadata light but there's not that much available).

I also wrote one for jlaunlimited.com (just because I happened to want a story from there and it was low-hanging fruit: a very standard efiction site).

And, because I like to torture myself, I took a shot at one of the sites that was listed as 'no one wants to do this one because it's a pain in the neck' that was also a site I wanted some stories from: dwiggie.com.

The dwiggie.com plugin needs modification to handle the alternate url formats for older stories but is otherwise functional. It is, however, very ugly. That site has multiple chapters per page and so to parse them out requires traversing all the pages just to get the chapters, listing 'fake' urls for the separate parts and processing each page as many times as there are chapters on the page (and also searching two separate index pages for the metadata). So it is fairly unkind to the server and still not perfect with the chapter separation (it expects a full horizontal rule between chapters and processes some notes sections as chapters) but it does work.

If anyone can think of a better way to solve this problem let me know!

So, what now?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #895
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by besnef View Post
I found this plugin a few weeks ago and was thrilled (it updates!). I haven't even scratched the surface of all the things I can do and configure with it.
Glad you like it. There's going to be even more crazy levels of configurability coming this week.

Quote:
It also gave me the chance to solve a problem. My mother wants to save stories (and eventually read them on a separate device) from the new 'blog style' fanfiction forum at InDeath.net and I was looking for a good way to let her create epub files from the stories.

So I wrote an adapter for that (it's a bit metadata light but there's not that much available).
Hmm. My quick perusal shows that InDeath.net is far more consistently structured in how stories are posted than any of the other blog-based fanfiction I've seen. That's been the biggest hurtle to supporting those types of sites. If it's really consistent, I'd be happy to consider including your adapter for it.

Quote:
I also wrote one for jlaunlimited.com (just because I happened to want a story from there and it was low-hanging fruit: a very standard efiction site).
A perfectly legitimate reason. Happy to consider that one, too.

Quote:
And, because I like to torture myself, I took a shot at one of the sites that was listed as 'no one wants to do this one because it's a pain in the neck' that was also a site I wanted some stories from: dwiggie.com.
I was impressed before--this is going above and beyond.

Quote:
The dwiggie.com plugin needs modification to handle the alternate url formats for older stories but is otherwise functional. It is, however, very ugly. That site has multiple chapters per page and so to parse them out requires traversing all the pages just to get the chapters, listing 'fake' urls for the separate parts and processing each page as many times as there are chapters on the page (and also searching two separate index pages for the metadata). So it is fairly unkind to the server and still not perfect with the chapter separation (it expects a full horizontal rule between chapters and processes some notes sections as chapters) but it does work.

If anyone can think of a better way to solve this problem let me know!
Hrm. Searching a couple pages for metadata is pretty common--usually story index or first chapter and author page.

But I can't say I'm thrilled with hitting the pages more than once, or having to essentially load the entire story to pull the metadata (including chapter URLs). For the plugin especially that really breaks the paradigm of getting metadata, checking for existing story, then fetching chapters.

Quote:
So, what now?
Assuming that this is your clone, I, and the other FFDL devs, can pull your adapters from there to review them. That's the first step.

Assuming they pass muster (after some tweaking and negotiation, especially dwiggie.com--we'll take that discussion to PM or email), the second step depends on what you want to do:

If you only care about these three and don't plan to write more, I'll integrate them into the repository under my user and that will be the end of it.

If you are interested in writing more code, and the other devs approve, we can add you to the project as a developer and give you permission to commit code directly.

I'll pass this post on to the other devs and try to review them myself tomorrow, or at least early this week, and back to you with some initial remarks.

And thanks, we love to see new code contributors.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #896
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester

Quote:
Here's a version--with very little testing--that I think fixes those issues. At least one of them, (the Anonymous author) needs more work, but this will have to do for now.
Thank you very much
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #897
besnef
besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
But I can't say I'm thrilled with hitting the pages more than once, or having to essentially load the entire story to pull the metadata (including chapter URLs). For the plugin especially that really breaks the paradigm of getting metadata, checking for existing story, then fetching chapters.
Yeah, I wasn't really thrilled with that either but after a certain point I wanted to see if I could solve the problem at all. And I figured it was worth having someone else look to see if there was a better way around it.

It was a good learning experience anyway.

Quote:
Assuming that this is your clone, I, and the other FFDL devs, can pull your adapters from there to review them. That's the first step.

That is indeed my clone.

Quote:
If you are interested in writing more code, and the other devs approve, we can add you to the project as a developer and give you permission to commit code directly.
I wouldn't mind doing some more. I rather enjoyed it.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #898
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
If you find time to implement the HTML template variables that would be absolutely great, thank you .
Once I started, I quickly went absolutely crazy with making output customizable.

It's crazy complex, so I'm not going to include it all in defaults.ini like most options. Instead, I made a new wiki page for it:
FanFictionDownLoaderCustomOutput

See what you think. Test version attached.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-03-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #899
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Thanks, this is absolutely perfect and exactly what I asked for and more. I can even customize the table of contents if I choose to do so. Thank you very, very much Jimm! On the linked site it says:
Quote:
An explicit Table of Contents page is not typically included in epub, since epub has that information embedded in it. However, if you choose to, you can configure the start and end html as well as each TOC entry.
Maybe I am just being dumb, but where would I enable that option in the configuration file and how is determined where exactly the generated table of contents is placed? (I would like to place it directly after the title-page, but that can wait for now.) That way I could get rid of the automatically generated table of contents that is currently displayed at the very end on my Kindle and manually place a custom table of contents.

Again, thank you, this is pretty much perfect.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #900
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
... where would I enable that option in the configuration file and how is determined where exactly the generated table of contents is placed? (I would like to place it directly after the title-page, but that can wait for now.) That way I could get rid of the automatically generated table of contents that is currently displayed at the very end on my Kindle and manually place a custom table of contents.
Code:
## include title page as first page.
include_titlepage: true

## include a TOC page before the story text
include_tocpage: true
TOC, if included, appears after titlepage, but before the story text. The order is not configurable--it's always cover, titlepage, tocpage, logpage, then story text.

Adding tocpage to the epub can't fully take the place of the TOC generated by calibre's convert because then it's not properly linked as metadata in the mobi. The closest you can get, I believe, is to have both.
Closed Thread