Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
BBumbler
BBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook, Kindle Touch
Will a B & N Nook usb wall charger work with a Kindle Touch?

I did not find any tech info on the Touch's power requirements.

I'm cheap.
BBumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any standard USB wall charger will work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
BBumbler
BBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five wordsBBumbler can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook, Kindle Touch
Thanks!
BBumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Same question but for the Sony PRS 650 wall charger. Will this work with the Kindle Touch? And can they share the same PC USB cable for side loading? (OK, I lied, that was two questions).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. Yes.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
For the record, an iPad charger works too. Well, iPad 2. I assume the other iPad models have the same charger.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

To repeat, _any_ USB wall charger should work absolutely fine. The Kindle has absolutely no special charging requirements; it's a perfectly standard microUSB connection.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Awesome. Now, being silly, I will have to test this. If this means travelling with only one USB charger as opposed to 5 that would be awesome. Heck, if it is travelling to my parents it would mean none since my Mom has a Kindle DX. So testing will commence. Then I can toss the second Kindle Charger I have into my ready bag for the hospital and not worry about packing a charger for the IPad.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm astonished that people don't already know this. What do they think the U in USB stands for?

All USB chargers output at 5 volts. Read the print on the charger, choose the one that has the highest amperage rating for fastest charging.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I can see that the end fits the wall charger but the part you plug into the device is a different size. I never thought of bringing just one wall charger but then the USB cords. (shrugs) I just bring both because they tend to go together.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
ShellShock
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guspasho View Post
I'm astonished that people don't already know this. What do they think the U in USB stands for?

All USB chargers output at 5 volts. Read the print on the charger, choose the one that has the highest amperage rating for fastest charging.
Except the Sony PRS 650, for example, does not work with some chargers. I had to buy the expensive, official charger from Sony to get one that worked.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Awesome. Now, being silly, I will have to test this. If this means travelling with only one USB charger as opposed to 5 that would be awesome. Heck, if it is travelling to my parents it would mean none since my Mom has a Kindle DX. So testing will commence. Then I can toss the second Kindle Charger I have into my ready bag for the hospital and not worry about packing a charger for the IPad.
The iPad needs 2.3 amps, the standard USB charger only gives 0.5 amps. That's why you can't charge any iPad by connecting to your computer.

However, if you get one charger with a high enough maximum amperage to work with the high-amp devices, you can use it for the low-amp devices as well.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I charge my Kindles with my Cell phone chargers which are MicroUSB.. No problems. Only the Kindle Fire requires a special charger but according to Amazon you can use your Kindle Fire charger to charge regular Kindles. I have not tried this.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
The iPad needs 2.3 amps, the standard USB charger only gives 0.5 amps. That's why you can't charge any iPad by connecting to your computer.

However, if you get one charger with a high enough maximum amperage to work with the high-amp devices, you can use it for the low-amp devices as well.
Some devices don't like being connected to a high-amp charger. My Blackberry will charge from a Kindle Fire charger, but it won't accept a charge from either the USB charger for my wife's iPad or the USB charger for my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus.

My Kindle Keyboard isn't picky at all. It charges from any charger.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote