Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #46
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
From the top of this page, where it lists only 7th, 8th Gen and Fire Tablets. I'll admit to not reading the full page.
That's not the right page, it is only for important updates.

I hope you enjoy the update and the fonts!
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #47
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
just installed Georgia (which is not all that different from Bookerly), Calibri, and Consolas (for occasions that warrant a monospace font). for those that don't know where to get fonts, if you have a windows computer, there is a "Fonts" folder in the Control Panel. open that up and you'll see all the font names. to find the font you want, you should use a full featured word processor (like microsoft word or liber office writer (it's free)) and just select a font and start typing. find out what you like, note the name of the font, then copy from the Fonts folder in Control Panel and paste into the Fonts folder in your kindle.

it's been a while since i opened up my mac, but i think there's a similar folder on the mac system as well.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #48
fogice
Zealot
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Had an odd blip on my Voyage. I uploaded a font (Bitter), read for a bit with it, and turned off the Voyage. When I turned it back on, it opened to a point several screens ahead of where I should have been. Has anyone else seen this?
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #49
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Well, they finally added a feature I am totally clueless how to use. I wouldn't even know where to get started, where to get the fonts, etc. But good for those that been wanting that without having to do the hacking whatever they had to do for it.
I'd start with the Google fonts collection at fonts.google.com: you can be sure that all those fonts can be reused without legal problems, but more importantly most of them are very good fonts by good font designers.

But I got mine from TeXLive, which as you'd expect for a professional typesetting system comes with a massive number of fonts: they're in all sorts of formats, some frankly bizarre and some supported only by TeX, but a lot are TrueType or OTF and thus can be used with the Kindle, and almost all newly-added ones are in OTF these days, and they're all very good fonts. I mean, look at this (very incomplete and partial) list: <https://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...ed-in-tex-live>. There's a lot there. Here's a bigger list: <http://ctan.math.washington.edu/tex-archive/fonts/> (if you install TeX Live, you get font samplers for most of these.) <http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/> may also be useful.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #50
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post

it's been a while since i opened up my mac, but i think there's a similar folder on the mac system as well.
There are two locations:
/Library/Fonts
/System/Library/Fonts

But I would start in Font Book app to preview and explore. The font family or font context menu has Show in Finder to take you to the correct location, and you can also see what languages/scripts are supported, see the Repertoire (the entire set of glyphs) create Collections (‘Good For Kindle’) etc.

Once you are in one of the Fonts folders, you’ll see .dfont, .ttf, .otf, and .ttc files.
.dfont (Datafork TrueType(R) font) do not work on Kindle. But .ttf, .otf, and conveniently, .ttc (TrueType collection) files all seem to work. You can use Quick Look here to preview here, but again, Font Book lets you explore and preview in more detail.

Ideally you want to have Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic - if there are more variants in the family, I’m not sure what Kindle does with them all, and fewer might mean certain text styles don’t get rendered, or maybe it applies some adjustment to the fonts it has that won’t look as good. It would be useful to know what the rules are, but I at least have not played enough yet.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #51
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Thank you for the info on where to find fonts. It gives me a place to start and check things out.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #52
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My 2 favorite fonts that I still prefer are Lexia Dama and Roboto Slab. And they continue to be my favorites even on the Kindle now that I can use them, even over Bookerly.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:45 AM   #53
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've been using Georgia since this change, which seems to suit the historical novel I'm reading. I've also loaded a bunch of other fonts, so will select appropriate ones depending on what type of book I'm reading.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:09 AM   #54
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
debating on if i should update. on one hand this is what i jailbreak for. on the other no good pdf support. very tempting for the custom fonts!
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #55
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
debating on if i should update. on one hand this is what i jailbreak for. on the other no good pdf support. very tempting for the custom fonts!
This has a few features I've not seen in previous custom font hacks, in particular that you can have a lot of custom fonts if you want, more than would fit in the normal fonts menu: it opens a sub-dialogue to show you them.

(However... the interaction of this with mobi is rather clunky, switching fonts back to whatever your last non-custom font was but not changing any of the other font configuration, so if you boosted the boldness and changed the size to suit your custom font, they remain changed even though the font has been flipped back.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #56
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I downloaded a couple of fonts and they work fine. Now I wonder why I bothered other than just to see if I could do it. I went to the Google Fonts and there were certainly enough there to satisfy me.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #57
redrum88
redrum88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7
nice news... thanks!

kindle update!
redrum88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #58
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
anyone know a good font download site? I used to use fonts on kobo but switching to kindle last few years means ive forgotten the good ones! Thanks
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #59
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Font Squirrel does a good job of collecting legitimately free fonts.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
My "glitch" (my Kindle 8th Generation would lock up and have to be rebooted) cleared when I converted my "home-made" (converted from ODT – LibreOffice) AZW3 book to AZW3 without an embedded font and with line settings normal. I'm tempted to see if I can re-replicate the issue. One other glitch I had, the Kindle Store locked up. When I rebooted and went back to it, it gave a "We're updating your buying experience" message and it rebuilt something. Since those two errors have cleared it seems to be working well – moving between my custom font (Constantia) and the factory fonts seems seamless (even books with the Constantia font embedded). So I don't know what the deal with the one book was all about.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote