Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 AM   #1
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Got a Poke Pro, but...

Hello, I received a Poke Pro and immediately had to contact technical support.
Its screen has a pixel which is much brighter than the others.
On a dark screen the pixel still looks white and shiny.
By looking harder I found there are other pixels like this but smaller and less noticeable.
They responded by saying this is not a defect.

Here's what they said:
As I mentioned before, the screen supplier has their own standard for the screen: if the white/black spot is within 0.3mm, then it's in line with the eink standard.

And if the screen is in line with the eink standard, then it is not a defected screen even there's white spot on the screen. Hope you could understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whitebg.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	762.9 KB
ID:	168277   Click image for larger version

Name:	屏幕原厂提供的黑点标准.png
Views:	252
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	168278   Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbg.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	721.7 KB
ID:	168279  

Last edited by bel3atar; 12-11-2018 at 03:46 AM. Reason: msg
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I would say that that white spot is caused by some damage to the front light layer rather than an e-ink pixel underneath. Does it go away when you turn the front light off?

The light layer is easy to damage, so you need to be careful not to scratch or dent it too much while using it. The damaged areas usually show up brighter than other areas.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
bel3atar
Connoisseur

You're right. Just tried turning the FL completely off with an all black image on the display and the spot is completely black.
Should I return it or just live with it?
Can I fix this manually or are the display layers glued together?

BTW is there a manual for this thing? I don't know what the icon on the left of the A2 icon does.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I suspect that one or two tiny dents in the light layer is considered to be "normal", so returning it is probably not an option. I don't know if you can fix it, but I doubt it. Any attempt will probably make it worse. The light layer works as a "light pipe" that guides the low angle light over the surface, only letting the light shining more perpendicularly to the surface out. Denting or scratching the surface usually makes more light escape from that area, so that's why it looks brighter. I believe there is also a very fine pattern etched into the light layer for scattering the light more evenly over the whole surface. I can't think of an easy way to return the damaged surface to its previous condition.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-11-2018 at 04:46 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #5
zsdiogo
zsdiogo doesn't litterzsdiogo doesn't litter

Device: Boox Note 10.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
You're right. Just tried turning the FL completely off with an all black image on the display and the spot is completely black.
Should I return it or just live with it?
Can I fix this manually or are the display layers glued together?

BTW is there a manual for this thing? I don't know what the icon on the left of the A2 icon does.
If the device was handed in to you like this then you should demand a refund or a new device. It is not your fault, as a buyer, that the device has flaws or doesn't work as advertised.
zsdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Sorry to hear about the defect. That must zuck on a new ereader.

I got a poke pro today and the light is perfect and without light holes. Colored light is very nice. Nice ereader. I'll write up a review over xmas.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
bel3atar
Connoisseur

Lucky you.
I returned it.
The seller was nice enough to send me pictures of the screen of the unit they'll be sending.