Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
joss
joss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Is there something like e-ink wear ?

Hello, is there something like e-ink wear factor like there is for Li-Ion batteries ? I am asking this question as I have noticed that, since a few weeks, I need
to set my refresh rate to every page instead of the default 'every 3 pages'
I had been using since I bought my Kobo Aura Edition 1 , approximately
3 years ago . If I don't do that, the chars appear blurred . It is the same for
all fonts .
I am only reading epub format and I don't think I am a power reader ( 280 hours for 75 books in 3 years ) and therefore I only need to charge battery
every 2 or 3 times a year when it's 75 % empty.
Thank you .
Joss
joss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I don’t think so...... ....however there _is_ something like eyesight-wear.... 🤔

However different firmwares can handle ghosting (partial remaining pixels from previous ‘page’, giving a blurred effect to the new page) differently. Did you change / update the firmware recently? What firmware are you on?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had mixed results with partial refresh. It sometimes seems to work alright; other times it leaves the text looking slightly fuzzy until the next full refresh. There are probably a number of factors at work, such as the algorithm used to perform the partial refresh, and the temperature of the display (I've found that a warm eink screen seems to respond slower than a cold one). I refresh every page and avoid the issue entirely.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The first generation of eInk screens did fade over time, but that effect has long been eliminated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Maybe you're reading more that you used to. This can, over time, make your eyes accustomed to looking at a close distance, causing short-sightedness. To overcome this, take regular breaks and look into the distance for a few minutes, while maybe making tea, coffee or chocolate. This will help slow down eyesight deterioration. It can happen at any age (started with me at 16 when studying for O levels.)

After the age of 40, many people get both long and short sighted. Somehow instructions seem printed in a smaller font!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are you out in the cold? eInk gets sluggish depending on temperature (too cold or too hot)

Update firmware recently?

Hardware failure is always a possibility but if it works fine otherwise, doesn't seem to be your case.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've never seen an e-reader that did not look noticeably fuzzy / poor quality to me unless I set to always refresh the page. (and even with full page refresh, for the past 4 or 5 years, all models can still have ghosting when transfering from a greyscaled image to another greyscaled image. The rush to reduce the flash time means they are basically all overdriving the e-ink screen, trying to refresh faster / with less power than the tech is actually capable of.)

Maybe now that you are more accustomed to the reader, you are just paying more attention to details.. or maybe you are becoming slightly nearsighted and are holding the device closer.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
joss
joss began at the beginning.

It happened suddenly and my last firmware update is a few months ago ( 4.8.11073 from 08/05/2018 . I avoid firmware updates as much as possible from previous poor experiences from Kobo and as a former IT professional in general I apply the general rule "if it is not completely broken, don't try to fix it" .
I am convinced this is a default of the kobo, not my sight, since if I keep refresh rate to 3 , one every 3 pages is correctly displayed. I also had noticed like frostschutz that refresh was slower when reading outside in summer.
I also have noticed ghosting effects since the beginning but here this is every char in the page which is blurred.
Maybe I am paying more attention to details now .
Thank for your answers.
joss is offline   Reply With Quote