Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If your use is as you state, and you only want to read books.... I think you made a good choice
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
yeah but have you read the articles about the iPad overheating in full sunlight and having a nuclear meltdown? china syndrome in your lap! the EPA has already closed down some public parks from the radiation. and sunlight reflected off the high gloss IPS screen can burn out your eyes, vaporizing them instantly!

gizmodo had a story on the whole thing but apple forced Jesus to pull it. another coverup!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
yeah but have you read the articles about the iPad overheating in full sunlight and having a nuclear meltdown? china syndrome in your lap! the EPA has already closed down some public parks from the radiation. and sunlight reflected off the high gloss IPS screen can burn out your eyes, vaporizing them instantly!
Oh come on, vaporizing? I think that's a little far fetched. But granted glare off of any shiny surface would be bad for your eyes. I wonder about the matte screen savers, if that would make a difference?
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #19
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
There's no reason (aside from financial) to choose one instead of the other. Get both.

I read my Touch in the sun yesterday, and it was fine. Much better than any previous LCD device in that regard. I would say in bright sunlight, it is maybe 10% less legible than it is otherwise. I hardly notice it.

The e-ink devices actually get BETTER the brighter the ambient light is.

When someone says they're sitting in their garden, I always have to check their location. In the US, we would say 'lawn' or 'yard.' If someone says it in the US, it means they're sitting where their vegetables or roses are growing, and that seems a little odd. Does anyone actually read in a garden? Just curious.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #20
matthewcplourde
Enthusiast
matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
no, you can't. it will also quickly overheat in direct sun and shut down.
Sigh... sad but true.
matthewcplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post

The e-ink devices actually get BETTER the brighter the ambient light is.
Normally. But then I read the reports of the people who have one of the new Kindles and have the display fade out and /or page turns slowing down after being in bright light. Not necessarily in the heat of the sunlight, but in bright indoor light (they claim).

That's very puzzling to me. I can’t think of mechanism to account for that.

BTW, my Kindle 3 doesn't display these symptoms. But then my iPad doesn’t overheat and shut down when used in the sunlight.

Last edited by JMikeD; 09-22-2010 at 12:04 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #22
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
So true. My devices work like advertised (eInk and iPad). But then, there are a lot of fading issue posts in the Sony section.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #23
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

I try and read in my 'yard' - with my iPad, or did when the weather over here (blighty) was more conducive.

But in any but the dimmest light it's an only just proposition, requiring the iPad to be tilted just so. I guess at some point I'll get an eInk reader, but I'm waiting till they're a bit faster on the page change.

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #24
chrisqmalibu
chrisqmalibu began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
I regularly use my iPad on the beach here in Malibu. Here is what I found.

1) At first, I thought iPad is useless in direct sunlight. So I got Kindle 3. Well, it does not work well with PDF ebooks and not useable with color PDF files at all. I need those color information. 99% of my ebooks are in PDF format. So I returned my Kindle.

2) I figure out how to use the iPad in direct sunlight (mostly on the beach). Below is how. Basically, I use white on black mode, max brightness, polarizied sunglasses. To cool it down, I take it off my leather case and place the aluminum back on top a cool dry rock. No overheating at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NksXmYdji1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Normally. But then I read the reports of the people who have one of the new Kindles and have the display fade out and /or page turns slowing down after being in bright light. Not necessarily in the heat of the sunlight, but in bright indoor light (they claim).

That's very puzzling to me. I can’t think of mechanism to account for that.

BTW, my Kindle 3 doesn't display these symptoms. But then my iPad doesn’t overheat and shut down when used in the sunlight.
chrisqmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote