Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Multiple Output Files?

Okay starting over with this question....

When I use ConvertLit GUI, I end up with a whole pile of little output files for one book. Some are oeb files in html, some are jpgs, some are css, mse, and opf.

My ultimate goal is to convert these to RTF, but dealing with all the little html files is a pain, and only results in a pile of little rtf files. I still don't know what to do with the files in the other format.

Isn't there an easier way to get a single document output from this process?

Last edited by Michele; 10-20-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
In those pile of little files is one file with all the text in it. If you're converting to RTF then that's all you need and all you can use. Everything else is just covers and formatting. Open the largest HTML file and then do your reformatting on that.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately there's an html file for every chapter. I'm looking for some way to combine/append the little files without having to cut and paste all of them into a single document.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Michelle - I am guessing this is a random house book? There is an html program that "links" the htmls together but it's kind of a pain because because you have to order the html files and sometimes, with those random house books, it's difficult to do. The better solution may be to downconvert the lit file and then use Book Designer to go from the downconverted lit to rtf.

Book designer is confusing for me so maybe someone will do step by step instructions for us.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
What I'm doing - and it doesn't work for ALL secure lits - is using ConvertLit to downconvert the secure lit to an unsecure lit, and then using Book Designer to convert the unsecure lit into a libre lrf.

The results are pretty good. You'll want to play with the output format a bit since the libre fonts are a little different from the reader fronts and so you can get what the software thinks should be a single line wrapping across into a second line.

I prefer my fonts to be a bit larger so the output option I chose are:

Book style: Simple
Book Text: 22
Book Cover: 32
Paragraph Indent: 5
Margins Left: 5
Margins Top: 0
Page Width: 600
Lines per page: 20
And under the Option tab, I deselect Hyphenate.

What it produces is quite acceptable, but, of course, not 100%. It drops any accented characters, and doesn't convert open and closing quotation marks as two types but just makes them both the same - " - but it does provide a nice readable output.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Michele
Addict

I think it's time I give BookDesigner a try, even though I'm intimidated by it. Thanks for the specs!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
Michele
Addict

Okay, I tried a very simple use of BookDesigner, from the unsecure LIT to the Sony Librie. This is a very big book file, containing two Robin Hobb novels, and it completed in a bit less than an hour, which is fine.

However, the links to the chapters and to the second book in the Table of Contents (functioning in MS Reader) were not preserved, and that is a problem, considering the 2800 pages viewed on the Reader file.

Also the italics within the text were not preserved. It's kind of important in understanding the meaning in this book, to identify the speaker.

I'm sure it must be something I did wrong, but the program is very complex and I'm hoping I don't need to learn the entire thing just yet.

I've tried fiddling around in various areas, but no luck. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Michele; 10-21-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
What I'm doing - and it doesn't work for ALL secure lits - is using ConvertLit to downconvert the secure lit to an unsecure lit, and then using Book Designer to convert the unsecure lit into a libre lrf.

The results are pretty good. You'll want to play with the output format a bit since the libre fonts are a little different from the reader fronts and so you can get what the software thinks should be a single line wrapping across into a second line.

I prefer my fonts to be a bit larger so the output option I chose are:

Book style: Simple
Book Text: 22
Book Cover: 32
Paragraph Indent: 5
Margins Left: 5
Margins Top: 0
Page Width: 600
Lines per page: 20
And under the Option tab, I deselect Hyphenate.

What it produces is quite acceptable, but, of course, not 100%. It drops any accented characters, and doesn't convert open and closing quotation marks as two types but just makes them both the same - " - but it does provide a nice readable output.
I've been doing the same quite happily, but found a slightly narrower page width worked for me.( 550)
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
Doing what you describe is a major felony in the United States, it isn't legal to remove copy protection from eBooks even for "personal use".
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Doing what you describe is a major felony in the United States, it isn't legal to remove copy protection from eBooks even for "personal use".
And still everyone does it. I wouldn't fret too much about it.

While technically using ConvertLit may be illegal in some countries, personally I don't see a moral issue with this as you (should) already own a copy of the book in question.

Just make sure you don't use this program to distribute illegal copies of e-books.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Okay starting over with this question....

When I use ConvertLit GUI, I end up with a whole pile of little output files for one book. Some are oeb files in html, some are jpgs, some are css, mse, and opf.

My ultimate goal is to convert these to RTF, but dealing with all the little html files is a pain, and only results in a pile of little rtf files. I still don't know what to do with the files in the other format.

Isn't there an easier way to get a single document output from this process?
I'm using ABC Amberlit conversion from Process Text Group. It's free and it's great! Only drawback is that it posts an ad for itself in the header and footing. Everybody knows how easy it is to change in Word!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
A major felony? My god, what law school did YOU go to?!
Old 10-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I'm using ABC Amberlit conversion from Process Text Group. It's free and it's great! Only drawback is that it posts an ad for itself in the header and footing. Everybody knows how easy it is to change in Word!
There's also an option in the settings to turn that off :-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool

Quote:
Is Convert LIT legal?

This depends a great deal on which country you, the user, are living in. If your country has a law which restricts the circumvention of copy control measures, even for fair use, then chances are it's not legal (with a few exceptions listed below). Examples of such laws are the United States' Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the UK's implementation of the European Union Copyright Directive.

Recently, some exceptions to the DMCA have been published, one of which in particular may mean that usages of Convert LIT is legal under certain circumstances in the United States. Exception #4 states:

(4) Literary works distributed in ebook format when all existing ebook editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling of the ebook's read-aloud function and that prevent the enabling of screen readers to render the text into a specialized format.
BTW, most microsoft secure lit files disallow read aloud.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
There's also an option in the settings to turn that off :-)
Had'nt noticed that! Thanks bingle!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote