Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
mvaldeslora
mvaldeslora began at the beginning.

Device: iPod & iPad
Screen Protectors

Not exactly an e-book kind of question but has anyone bought a screen protector like one of those from ZAGG? Any impact - plus or minus - on image quality, be it video, pictures, for e-reading, etc? Thanks again.
mvaldeslora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
... and any degradation of touch screen response?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
I have on my iPhone and there is no degradation of anhthing. On the iPad Apple specifically has said that the new coating obviates the need for a screen protector. However Apple doesn't live in my house and I can't imagine not putting a screen protector on my new iPad. I have one on order, we'll see how it does!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
don't waste your money on zagg. go to www.bestskinsever.com and get the same thing for half the price. seriously. i used to buy zagg years ago (when they were invisible shield). best skins ever popped up as a competitor. they both use the same 3M manufactured film. BSE charges easily half the price of zagg and their customer service is top notch. i've spent over $200 with them over the past few years. not affiliated with them in any way, but a very satisfied customer.

oh. and my skins from BSE arrived today. i have the front and back skins. i know i'll apply the front skin, i like the surface feel better than the naked glass. i'm undecided about the back skin because i use apple's slip-cover/case.

Last edited by scottjl; 04-09-2010 at 07:04 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
I happened to have won some invisibleshield protectors for my ipad, but I probably won't use them, I've always stayed away from these things that require a liquid to be used. I've always used dry screen protectors like from boxwave, I may just go back to them.

Wow, I do like the price on that BSE, especially since I really just want the front screen protectors. ...eh, now that I've read the FAQ, I see they use liquid. Back to boxwave.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

they don't really use a liquid. it's not like you dunk your ipad in water and then apply the film. you do dunk the film in water and shake it mostly dry and then apply it to the screen. i have been using these types of films on devices for 8 years now and never had an issue where liquid seeped into the device and ruined it. i honestly get film for any gadget (and i have plenty) that has a screen either before my purchase or soon after. the customer service at BSE has been great about custom-cutting films for me for some of my more unusual devices. i even helped them develop the proper fit film for a GPS (i was their first customer who asked for it for a new model, they sent me some test films based on the dimensions i measured, then we refined them and they sent me some finished films for free).

the 3M film (that both BSE and Zagg use) really is the best protection i've found. it was developed by 3M and is pretty damn near scratch proof unless you're using using a spike to push through the stuff. i think Zagg has some video clips of people trying to puncture the stuff.

i will say i generally replace mine every year on my iphone as it tends to discolor after that time, but on my other gadgets i've rarely, if ever, replaced it.

i much prefer the slightly rubbery texture over the slippery naked glass. just don't care for the glass against my finger.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have been through quite a few mobile devices and have tried many different screen protectors.

I have used the Zagg Invisible Shield a bit, but the one I like the best, and currently have on my iPad is the Bodyguardz screen protector. The application method is the same as the Zagg, but the surface is much nicer and doesn't have that slightly ripply effect like the Zagg. I find it easier to apply as well.

None of these screen protectors negatively affect the touch response of the screens of any device I have used them on at all.

Hope this information is useful.

*edit* I should add that if you are afraid to apply these you can go to a Best Buy that sells the Zagg Invisible Shields and they will apply them for you for a fee. They are really pretty easy to apply though. I still recommend the Bodyguardz though, but you will have to apply it yourself.

Last edited by Drybonz; 04-10-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Why do you think that Apple has removed all screen protectors from their retial stores?
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

I used to be a big screen protector kind of guy. But over the years I quit using them, and found that my screens held up just fine. So no screen protector for ye 'ol "Flattop" (yes, my iPad has a name).

With the extra screen coating I think it will be fine without it,,,, OTOH ... I don't have kids in the house.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books

if you're looking for "good looking" skins, something with artwork, you probably can't beat decal girl
Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
skins are off topic here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me *what* is in that bottle that the zagg-like kits come with? Is it toxic?
If I need to remove or replace the screen protector, does it leave any residue?
(and are these things anti-glare...or is that just a marketing term nowadays?)

thanks!
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

probably some combination of ethyl alcohol, water (distilled and/or deionized) and maybe propylene glycol. typically what most "screen cleaner solutions" are made of.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Do any of these help with glare under fluorescent lights and/or fingerprints?

Those are two problems my girlfriend has with her iPad. Glare under lights in her office, and having to wipe finger prints off all the time which show up badly since the screen is so glossy.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
shiffy
shiffy doesn't littershiffy doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
I have the power support anti-glare screen protector, which I find does a pretty good job reducing glare without affecting the image quality in any real way. It's a bit tricky to get it down without any air bubbles (most of the bubbles smooth out relatively easily, but if there's a speck of dust underneath it can't be smoothed out till it's removed)). I find that an anti-glare protector also helps to use it outdoors. It's not great directly under the sun, but with the brightness cranked up to full, it's definitively usable in indirect sunlight (e.g., under the sun, but with the sun not directly shining on the screen).

Oh and it also helps with fingerprints. Doesn't eliminate them, but it's much better than without it.
shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote