Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
PDF Book Creator

Hello everybody!

Thought about sharing this with you writers as you might be interested...

I created a web application that helps you generate PDF ebooks easily and fast, without worrying about optimization for your ebook reader:

- User acoount, so that you can save and modify numerous books.
- Version control, each modification creates a new version of the book
- Automatic PDF bookmarks based on book chapters
- Customizable title page
- Customizable chapter titles
- PDF preview
- PDF download
- Books automatically optimized for ebook 6" readers so that you don't have to worry about this any more.

The app creates PDF books suitable to be read on BeBook, Hanlin, Sony, Kindle and other eBook reader devices that have 6" display.

This app is free for you to use, so enjoy your book writing!

http://www.majgaj.com/pdf

If nothing else, at least I would like to hear some comments on this.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added a possibility to publish your eBook, meaning that downloadable PDF eBook will be created to our server and is available for others to download. Once you publish your eBook, you will be given URL to the file which you can freely share with others.

I would like to hear some opinions on PDF Book Creator...
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
spaze
Addict

So many read times of this topic and no comments at all? Seriously, even though you think PDF is not a format for eReaders, I would really appreciate some comments.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Does it have a way to import existing files? Having to copy & paste every chapter separately is somewhat painful.

It seems to allow plain text only, not formatted text. Could it be altered to allow HTML tags?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't get it to work. I enter text in the box; it shows up fine on the preview (or rather, it shows up with text I suspect is larger than I'd like, but formatted okay), but when I save it out, much text is removed, and some is jumbled, and the spaces have been removed from some parts: http://www.majgaj.com/pdf/ebooks/elf...reemasonry.pdf

I don't see a way to list one's published books; the "All Books Created" list has the same options for published & unpublished books.
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi, Spaze!

You might get more responses if you allowed at least testing without registration.

Is the generation done via LaTeX?

- Ahi
Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

The "registration" is simple: give a username & a password. No email required.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
True enough. Simple and non-intrusive... it might well have stopped some people from checking it out though.

Perhaps point out the hassle-free registration in the first post?

- Ahi
Old 08-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
spaze
Addict

Thanks guys for your input, I will make some corrections based on your inputs.

Elfwreck: Don't delete your work, I will have a look at your book and see what is wrong. It shouldn't do what it did with your book.

Generation of PDF is done with FPDF since its the only one I found easy enough for PHP and that does automatic word wrapping based on given page dimensions. It also creates the bookmarks with one line of code, which I also liked.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
spaze
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Does it have a way to import existing files? Having to copy & paste every chapter separately is somewhat painful.

It seems to allow plain text only, not formatted text. Could it be altered to allow HTML tags?
I will look into it, but mixing HTML with plain text gets complicated. What if I wanted to make a book explaining how to code HTML? It would have to have HTML code as a text. But yes, I will look into it.

By importing existing files, do you mean PDF files or just one TXT file copy/pasted into one window?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #11
spaze
Addict

I have perhaps fixed an issue with what you had Elfwreck, can you try it out again please?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #12
spaze
Addict

I also added the page where you can list your own published books with the URL to them so that you can spread that URL if you wish.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:50 AM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

[QUOTE=spaze;575541]I will look into it, but mixing HTML with plain text gets complicated. What if I wanted to make a book explaining how to code HTML? It would have to have HTML code as a text. But yes, I will look into it.[quote]

HTML has ways of allowing you to post code as text. Several of them, in fact. How do you think HTML tutorial webpages get written?

Lack of ability to use bold, italics, indented sections, or bullet lists in the text is rather a severe set of drawbacks to a bookmaking program.

Quote:
By importing existing files, do you mean PDF files or just one TXT file copy/pasted into one window?
Either. Any. Not having to copy-and-paste each chapter separately.

Right now, I'm not seeing anything this does that isn't covered by setting up a Word doc (or an Abiword doc) with a small page size, and using one of the countless free PDF printers. It does include file hosting--but so does googledocs.

The lack of formatting control is a big drawback. Not being able to choose fonts and point sizes, and not having any idea where the page breaks are (hard to do poetry, in that case) are very troublesome for making books.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 AM   #14
spaze
Addict

You are correct. If you need formatting and such, perhaps using Word and a printer driver is the way to do it. This app is just another way of creating a book and if you are creating one from another format by copy/paste, then it is more time cosuming at the current state. I, for one, have not found it hard to copy/paste 20 chapters of a book but again this is a prefence of mine

The reason why I did this in the first place was, because copy/paste text from websites for example into Word creates more formatting and text-decoration issues than just creating plain text. Word takes all the formatting into consideration and when you paste the content to it, in lots of cases page breaks are messed up, text-decorations and such. Cleaning these up takes more time than copy/paste into this application and let it create constant formatted PDF books.

To be honest, I don't even know how currently I could implement full-features HTML code into this app. You are correct about the formatting lacks, but as I said I will look into this and see what I can come up with.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #15
spaze
Addict

OK, I just tried to create a Word document sized 9x12cm and copy/pasted http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html into it. Everything worked fine until I tried to print it out with CutePDF. The output PDF is sized A4 with the content centerized with 9x12cm in dimension. I set the paper size in CutePDF to 9x12cm as well, but nothing better came out of it.

I'm not trying to battle here which is better, but I just found that with my app even though I had to copy/paste content to it, it did create clean chapters along with bookmarks. btw, how do you create bookmarks with CutePDF?
Closed Thread