Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #1156
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

There is two versions of M92, it's related to the origin (the shop) of the device.

The firmwares in this thread is only for the device ("black" or "white") sold by : http://www.ereader-store.de/. Booxtor works for this seller.

You could not use this firmware with the "black pearl" sold by : http://artatech.pl/k. The devices of this vendor are locked. Maurice13 works for this seller.
I think that it would be fair to make distinction based on hardware models not on the store you used to buy the ereader. I bought mine from US and it is totally compatible with the firmware.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #1157
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I think that it would be fair to make distinction based on hardware models not on the store you used to buy the ereader. I bought mine from US and it is totally compatible with the firmware.
You are right, but speak of "models" is difficult, I think. I didn't know if the names given by the stores is the real name of the model. The model of my M92 is "BOOX M92", bought on http://www.ereader-store.de .

The difference known between this model and the "pearl black" of ArtaTech is the firmware. I don't know if the model is something else than "BOOX M92".

It will be useful if the owners of M92 give the model's name and the store where they bought the device.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #1158
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
I've got an Onyx Boox M92 device from ArtaTech (to my regret, of course).
The front of the (black plastic) casing says: BOOX
The back of the (black plastic) casing says: BOOX, Model: BOOX M92, DC 5V - 1A, www.onyx-international.com, CE

The only two places which explicitly say that it is the Boox M92 "Black Pearl" Edition are two small aluminium stickers (which also include something that looks like the device's serial number): one on the carton packing and another one on the warranty card.

Please note, according to the "official" web page with ArtaTech firmware updates, they actually distributed TWO devices which they both call "Onyx Boox M92":
1. devices bought before 15th May 2012, which ARE NOT "Black Pearl",
2. newer devices are "Black Pearl" (aluminium stickers MUST explicitly say "Black Pearl").
I have no idea what the differences between these two "editions" are (they explicitly say, however, that different devices need different firmware).

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 12-22-2012 at 02:33 PM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #1159
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
It would be correct statement, if only, the same hardware allowed to apply the same firmware.

This is not true for "ArtaTech" and "Bookstore" distribution channels of hardware-wise exactly the same e-readers - M92.

You cannot install ArtaTech firmware on Bookstore's device and vice versa.

I guess there is a way to install one ore another firmware on the other device, but it might void the warranty and also might brick the device... And of course it would violate the copyright law in many countries....

I would add, that there are, beside those two, also other distribution channels. For sure in Russia and also in Czech Republic. It seems to me, that only ArtaTech goes its own way and separates from others distribution channels. One of the reasons is the need to protect commercial TTS software, which is said to be better than general Onyx TTS.

The question is if really one needs better TTS or even any TTS. Most users, IMO, buy M92 to read not to listen. And so, if all the problems with firmware update overweight the utility of better TTS and few other things (cloud ability, ..)
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #1160
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@Mono, that actually isn't true. You can install ArtaTech and Booxstor on any Onyx Boox device. The only difference is password, which is used to encrypt zipped update file.

There are two kernels in Onyx readers, from which one is used only for updates. It contains script, which is executed upon reboot, and checks whether update password matches. If it does, update proceeds.

Oh, just to mention. Passwords are available on the web. Also keep in mind, that installation of ArtaTech software on readers from any other distribution is ILLEGAL unless you pay ArtaTech for IVONA TTS licence.

And one more thing; it's impossible to brick Onyx Boox as long as second kernel isn't overwritten. If it happens, you can always access bootloader via serial console, or use USB downloader mode to restore corrupted memory ...

Last edited by seaniko7; 12-23-2012 at 07:11 AM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #1161
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
@Mono, that actually isn't true. You can install ArtaTech and Booxstor on any Onyx Boox device. The only difference is password, which is used to encrypt zipped update file.

There are two kernels in Onyx readers, from which one is used only for updates. It contains script, which is executed upon reboot, and checks whether update password matches. If it does, update proceeds.

Oh, just to mention. Passwords are available on the web. Also keep in mind, that installation of ArtaTech software on readers from any other distribution is ILLEGAL unless you pay ArtaTech for IVONA TTS licence.

And one more thing; it's impossible to brick Onyx Boox as long as second kernel isn't overwritten. If it happens, you can always access bootloader via serial console, or use USB downloader mode to restore corrupted memory ...
Humm, would be good to know the passwords ....
I have searched but can not find them ....

A greeting. -
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #1162
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
My point was that your posts guys leave the impression that there are just two sources for M92 which is not true.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #1163
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
Humm, would be good to know the passwords ....
I subscribe to this opinion, too.

Moreover, I would also be grateful if you could direct me to any description of how to "access bootloader via serial console, or use USB downloader mode to restore corrupted memory". Not that I need it now, but I would like to prepare myself for what's, I'm sure, is coming upon me in future.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #1164
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
IMO GitHub is the right place to look for passwords...

@pepe_alter_ego, I'll prepare these as soon as I'll have some spare time.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #1165
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
That is generaly what I said. It must be somehow possible, but one must know the trick. And it is violating the law in most of countries.

Even decryption of standard Boox firmware violates the law. Not speaking the ArtaTech one...

But of course, generally everything is possible, every protection can be hacked. It is only question of skill, will, time and money. Or good luck if the needed information leaks from the "source"....
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #1166
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
My point was that your posts guys leave the impression that there are just two sources for M92 which is not true.
You are right. For the moment, only the most known are listed. There is a spanish vendor, but the model has an other name, the device could be different - may be. I haven't some information on the russian vendor.
The list of vendors must be established in an other thread.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #1167
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Suggestion: Since sometimes the M92 takes a bit to process/respond to clicks, it would be nice if it played a "click" sound when the device recognises the user has clicked a button, closed a window (dictionary...) etc.
This would prevent clicking twice because it seems to not respond and things like that.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #1168
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Suggestion: Since sometimes the M92 takes a bit to process/respond to clicks, it would be nice if it played a "click" sound when the device recognises the user has clicked a button, closed a window (dictionary...) etc.
This would prevent clicking twice because it seems to not respond and things like that.
As long as it could be turned off in settings, as, personally, it would annoy me.
But I recognise what you are saying with the seemingly non-responding clicks.

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #1169
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

See this thread: M92: "busy" indicator (a proposal)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #1170
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Of course it should be user configurable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
I see. You proposal is something similar but not exactly the same: Mine would signal "click recognised", yours is a "disk activity indicator". I see them as complementary. Anyway, any of them would be an improvement over the current situation.
Let's see what Booxtor and the Onyx team think.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote