Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Problem with eBookwise Librarian

Due to the death of my old hard drive, I bought a new computer, complete with Vista Home Premium. Now, I was able to load the ebookwise Librarian with no problems. But I can't get any of the files onto my eBookwise-1150.

This is the message I get when I open the program:

error opening/creating HOSTS file <C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.> error=<5>

I've tried doing the run around on the C drive, only to turn on my eBookwise-1150 and have the darned thing nearly crash on me. Does anyone know what I need to do in order to get this program working for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
You need to turn off the security "Accept / Ignore" crap in Vista.
Control Panel>User Accounts>Turn User Account Contol (UAC) on or off.
Once that's done the librarian will be able to read / modify your hosts file.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
That did it! Thank you!!
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Your very welcome. Just remember you are now not as secure... (According to MS) I've never gotten a virus / spyware by turning it off, and find it just gives me more control over the computer.

May want to shuffle it on off if you listen to microsoft.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
I hate that setting

I have to say that the UAC setting is one of the most annoying ones I have ever dealt with!

Does anyone actually leave it on?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Laugh. Once I turned that off I started to really like Vista. The only thing I wish it could do is a full screen text mode session like XP. I'm a text mode junky.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
Laugh. Once I turned that off I started to really like Vista. The only thing I wish it could do is a full screen text mode session like XP. I'm a text mode junky.
Like one of those BBS screens we stared at ad nauseam in the '80's?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Nick: That's for sure. I'm slowly getting away from my text mode addiction. At this point I'm down to one or two programs, and I can deal with the weirdness of Vista for them. (Main one is FAR that is a heck of a file manager!)
Old 04-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
library

I remember how annoyed I was when our library switched from a all text computer system to one that used a GUI. I could sort and find books so fast with the all text system, and even had the keystrokes to my library card memorized. Of course if you asked me what the number was I could not tell you, but if I sat at a computer I could type it in.

There are some things that are done better in a command line system, but would I give up my GUI for an all command line system? Naw.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote