Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #76
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I got all excited about that, but when I looked at 2.2.1, it appears to be merely one of two possibilities for using KindleGen:

>To create Kindle files using KindleGen, you need:
> A single HTML file that represents the entire book; or
> EPUB-compliant files.
NJ, it's said that for at least 3 years. Keep reading, it's discussed further in the thread.

You KNOW that all BPH's FTP ePUBs to Amazon, so...why are you all excited? Nothin' new to see here.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I got all excited about that, but when I looked at 2.2.1, it appears to be merely one of two possibilities for using KindleGen:

>To create Kindle files using KindleGen, you need:
> A single HTML file that represents the entire book; or
> EPUB-compliant files.
ePub compliant = ePub

A single HTML is not going to works as well. Especially for older devices with less working RAM (256MB).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #78
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ePub compliant = ePub

A single HTML is not going to works as well. Especially for older devices with less working RAM (256MB).
Wolfie! Down, boy.

We all know that. Amazon mostly wrote that for Word-file uploaders, really. Just...leave it. There's no point in continuing here.

Hitch
Old 10-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wolfie! Down, boy.

We all know that. Amazon mostly wrote that for Word-file uploaders, really. Just...leave it. There's no point in continuing here.

Hitch
I'm just interpreting for the ePub challenged. But yes, you are correct. We've gone round as much as possible. If the OP wants to do it the hard way that may not work, that's the OP's problem. I've tried to explain how to do it easier that will work. Oh well.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #80
Sella174
Enthusiast
Sella174 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperbacks
(The previous post got deleted, so I'll use code …)

The Kindle-place accepted my hacked together MOBI for publication, so thanks for all your help in making it possible.
Sella174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:57 PM   #81
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sella174 View Post
LibreOffice odt and HTML. The odt is exported to PDF for printing as paperbacks and the HTML is displayed on the website.

I played around with creating ePub's a few years ago, since I have the HTML already, but found the whole format/standard completely lacking for the purpose of publishing books and thus didn't invest too much time in it.

Doing odt -> HTML -> ePub -> mobi is not why we have computers, IMO. I'd prefer skipping the unnecessary ePub step. Seems I can't, so the mobi's will have to wait until I write a simple HTML to ePub program to feed KindleGen. Just need to figure out what information mobi can handle.
Take a look at this on line converter. It might be able to convert direct to Mobi. I have used it to do RTF to Mobi and Epub. It seems to be pretty versatile. If publishing in ebook formats you need to offer Mobi and Epub to cover almost all current ebook readers.

https://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #82
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Take a look at this on line converter. It might be able to convert direct to Mobi. I have used it to do RTF to Mobi and Epub. It seems to be pretty versatile. If publishing in ebook formats you need to offer Mobi and Epub to cover almost all current ebook readers.

Most or all of these sites are using Calibre - handy if you can't do installs on the current computer.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #83
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Take a look at this on line converter. (SNIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Most or all of these sites are using Calibre - handy if you can't do installs on the current computer.
Guys:

With all due respect, the conversion wasn't really the OP's issue. S/he was not happy thinking that doing Source-->HTML-->ePUB-->Mobi was the path; s/he wanted to go Source-->HTML-->MOBI. That's all. The rest of the n pages of discussion was a friendly argument about WHY, or why ignore ePUB, etc. That's all.

I know that I posted, IIRC, (my memory not being what it was) in the first "page" of responses, an easy way to go directly to MOBI. So did several others. I think I told him/her that s/he could simply drop a hand-crafted OPF onto KG or KP, for that matter.

{shrug}

Hitch
Old 01-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The OP has not been back since October 30, 2017. So continuing this thread is rather worthless. Let the OP come back and post and then maybe continue. But for now, give it a rest.