Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #361
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnpn View Post
Hi
I've installed gmplay on my kindle PW, and it works great but the video is displayed at a 800x600 resolution (PW is 1024x758) and so appears on the top left of the screen.
Is there a way to change the resolution of the player to have a full frame image on the paperwhite ?
thanks for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoo View Post
@Pnpn, you can chage gmplay source(click Magic revealed button here) to
line
Code:
#define FBSIZE (600/8*800)
to
Code:
#define FBSIZE (758/8*1024)
then compile it and run.
You would also need to change the video transcoder (raw2gmv) to the new resolution, and encode some videos in that resolution. They are pre-dithered by the transcoder program, and the player just spits the video lines onto the display.

Your larger videos would probably work as-is on the smaller 800x600 kindles (with the larger resolution video player), but only part of the image would be visible. Also a possibility that it could throw an error if the last line extends beyond the end of the framebuffer, but newer kindles have really large framebuffers, so unlikely.

Because the GMV video format contains no metadata to describe resolution, the 800x600 resolution (common to all kindles at the time of its development) was the default value.

For the new version (in progress) I plan to add metadata file headers, so I can support multiple resolutions, in addition to interleaved sound, and I will call them GMM (geekmaster multimedia) files. The new player will also support legacy GMV files, if no file header is found.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2016 at 09:29 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #362
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am working on this project again. I was worried about keeping sound synchronized to video, but according to the following youtube video, sound can be up to 45msec early or up to 125msec late and still be perceived as simultaneous with the video. Because I am doing one frame every 130 msec, it looks like according to this information, I have a 170msec window of acceptable temporal variability for video framerate, in which I need to put the audio frames into.

Because some frames can be delayed, I should probably make the audio play nearly 45msec early, allowing it to get a full frame behind (130msec, with another 40msec to spare for extra long eink updates). This may take a bit of experimentation to find the optimal audio lead time, but should be pretty flexible.

EDIT: In that video, he says 125msec delay, but later says 100msec in the basketball demo. However, the shorter 145msec total delay still gives a full frame plus 15msec frame delay being perceptually accepted as simultaneous.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-17-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #363
geekmaster

Though my published versions of gmplay (posted in the first post) allow video to lag up to a full second to prevent visible frame drops when eink updates take a lot longer than usual, for audio sync I plan to always display the most recent frame (allowing only up to a single frame delay before frame dropping). In essence, I will display the video frame that most closely matches the audio being played, within that 170msec time window. With video frames presented 130msec apart, it will be easy to choose which frame to display even assuming that the frame could take longer than normal to become visible on the eink display. All good, so my previous worries can be put to rest.

Now the problem is how to get ALSA sound compiles working again on my new build system. Missing dependencies to figure out...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-17-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #364
dallyp
dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi Kindle Touch From goodwill
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Let me know if you think this is worth more effort to develop streaming video (youtube, vimeo, and more), or if I should instead invest my time continuing my many OTHER projects...

Feedback is essential here.

EDIT: Look, I am just planting (MIT-licensed) "seeds" here. Other people need to feed and water them to make them grow. I cannot do everything myself. Okay?
It is worth it to develop streaming video
dallyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #365
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallyp View Post
It is worth it to develop streaming video
Thanks for the feedback. I hope someone new takes over this project. Unless a miracle happens, the OP will be unable to finish this one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #366
dallyp
dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i think you Cinisajoy could get gmplay sound working
Old 01-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #367
dallyp

also if you need it on kindle touch "stop lab126_gui" without the quotes stops the gui that the kindle touch has
Old 10-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #368
sawnti
sawnti began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Hello guys, first of all, geekmaster + all of you who made this possible, thanks so much!!

I have this working on a K4NT, with a nice video and put in a frame, and it's really cool.
I'm running it in the diagnostics mode after flashing it with kubrik so I can have ssh, with the command "while true; do zcat vid.gmv.gz | ./gmplay; done" suggested by hawhill (for me it doesn't loop forever, stops after ~ half an hour, but I think it only happens when it's unplugged)

I really wish I could be able to automatically execute gmplay on startup, so that it will play forever no matter if it reboots.

I see that cron is installed in the main partition, no entry in /etc when in diags. If you try crontab -e from diags, it complains that /var/spool/cron/crontabs doesn't exist. If I create it, putting it to execute gmplay on reboot, or every 15 minutes, it doesn't do anything, and on reboot this created folders disappear. I have also tried to put proper files in /etc/init and /etc/init.d ( the /etc in diags). This files are kept after reboot but again, no result on automatic execution.

I guess it has to do with the diags partition being sort of weird, I read in other posts that it's a temporal partition and that things get flashed away on reboot, however I formally have no clue on how this partition works.

Any idea on how could I make it such that gmplay gets executed on startup??
sawnti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #369
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The usual way would indeed be SysV-style init scripts & symlinks, but I have no idea if that's supposed to work on diags, and if it does, on which runlevel it actually boots...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #370
sawnti
sawnti began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Ok thanks man.
I'm going to play around with that. I think the file S50diags on /etc/rcS.d looks promising for this purpose, I'll try luck there although this is pretty hardcore for me xD
sawnti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #371
rohtie
rohtie began at the beginning.

Device: K5
I just found this program (and forum) today and thought it sounded really cool.
But I couldn't find any documentation of this program running on a kindle.
So I ended up jailbreaking my kindle and documenting it myself

It runs a lot smoother than I imagined. While at the same time has this kind of painterly feel to it. It's really cool!

rohtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #372
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohtie View Post
I just found this program (and forum) today and thought it sounded really cool.
But I couldn't find any documentation of this program running on a kindle.
So I ended up jailbreaking my kindle and documenting it myself

It runs a lot smoother than I imagined. While at the same time has this kind of painterly feel to it. It's really cool!
I am sure geekmaster would be glad to hear that you like his little application.

Unfortunately, he passed away a few months ago.

He did enjoy doing the "impossible", such as displaying video on the very slow e-ink screen.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:04 AM   #373
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I am sure geekmaster would be glad to hear that you like his little application.

Unfortunately, he passed away a few months ago.

He did enjoy doing the "impossible", such as displaying video on the very slow e-ink screen.
R.I.P. geekmaster
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #374
rohtie
rohtie began at the beginning.

Device: K5
Wow, that is really sad but I am happy that his creations are able to live on
rohtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #375
maikipopo
maikipopo began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to use this wonderful program on a paperwhite 4, but the videos are played in a reduced frame in the top right-hand corner. This should be due to the higher resolution (1072×1448 vs 600x800). I tried to recompile (from linux) the file gmplay-1.5a with the right parameters but I get this error: 'mnt/us/extensions/videos/gmplay: line 1: syntax error: unterminated quoted string'.

Can anyone help me out or have a compiled version for paperwhite 4?

Thank you all in advance!
maikipopo is offline   Reply With Quote