Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Glowlight 3 - what happened to Caecilia?

It's in the Thread title.

Previous Nook E-Readers had the font Caecilia. The Glowlight 3 does not.

Where did it go?
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
That's not good. It's very difficult/impossible to add custom fonts to some e-reading apps, and they require an sd-card to do so. So not good. Caecilia is many people's font of choice.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
It's in the Thread title.

Previous Nook E-Readers had the font Caecilia. The Glowlight 3 does not.

Where did it go?
I think they replaced it with Georgia. I was curious to see if Nook GlowLight Plus had Caecilia, and it looks like it didn't (at least in the screenshots that I've found they're showing Georgia).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:17 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One question about the fonts on the Glowlight 3. Looking at the firmware, there are a set of fonts installed for the system and another set installed for the ereader software. The list of fonts that seem to be available are:

Code:
# AndroidClock  (regular only)
  Ascender Sans
  Baskerville
# Clockopia (regular only)
  Courier
# Droid Arabic Naskh (regular only, Arabic)
# Droid Naskh Shift Alt (regular only, Arabic)
# Droid Sans (regular and bold)
# Droid Sans Armenian (regular only)
# Droid Sans Georgian (regular only)
# Droid Sans Hebrew (regular and bold)
# Droid Serif
  Georgia
  Gill Sans MT Pro Book (regular only, book and light)
  Joanna Sans
  Lato (regular only) (western & Polish)
  Lime Rock (regular only)
  Malabar
  Mundo Sans (normal, book, light)
  Namum Gothic (regular only)
# Roboto (normal, condensed, light, thin)
Oddly, some of the Droid Sans and Roboto variants show Mundo Sans as the font name.

# indicates system font, others are from the bnereader.apk file.

regular only = no italic, bold, bold-italic variant supplied.

I'm curious as to how many of these fonts show up as a choice when reading so if anyone who has a Glowlight 3 is willing to answer, it would be appreciated.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:08 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
That's not good. It's very difficult/impossible to add custom fonts to some e-reading apps, and they require an sd-card to do so. So not good. Caecilia is many people's font of choice.
Sorry, but that's incorrect. You don't need an SD card to add custom fonts. either the reading app allows custom fonts or it doesn't. If you want the ability to add custom fonts, then forget the nG3. Besides, Caecilla is no a nice font to use went reading. So it's no loss really. That's why Amazon come up with Bookerly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
A matter of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Besides, Caecilla is no a nice font to use went reading. So it's no loss really. That's why Amazon come up with Bookerly.
That's a matter of opinion. I like both Cecilia and Bookerly.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm curious as to how many of these fonts show up as a choice when reading so if anyone who has a Glowlight 3 is willing to answer, it would be appreciated.
The options it gives me are: Mundo Sans, Baskerville, Georgia, Ascencer Sans, Malabar and Joanna Sans. There is also the option for "Original Fonts," which I guess will match the epub's format.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Personally, I don’t see Caecelia as a big loss. It was a more useful font when eReaders had lower resolutions, but the modern, 300 dpi screens make other fonts, such as Georgia, much nicer options.

That said, I know that font choice can be extremely personal, so I understand others being annoyed at losing Caecelia. My only guess for its removal is that B&N probably has to pay a licensing fee for each font family, and their usage stats indicated it wasn’t a terribly popular font choice.

Nicest would be if the Glowlight let you install custom fonts. I don’t get why Kobo is the only one of the big 3 that allows this.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but that's incorrect. You don't need an SD card to add custom fonts. either the reading app allows custom fonts or it doesn't. If you want the ability to add custom fonts, then forget the nG3. Besides, Caecilla is no a nice font to use went reading. So it's no loss really. That's why Amazon come up with Bookerly.
For the Nook ST, the place where many 3rd party reading apps look for custom fonts is in a write-protected area of the reader. Very hard to circumvent. I presume the Ng3 is the same, and in addition has no SD-card slot to get round the problem. FBreader is an exception, if anyone needs to know.

You don't know what you're talking about and present your uninformed opinions as facts.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
For the Nook ST, the place where many 3rd party reading apps look for custom fonts is in a write-protected area of the reader. Very hard to circumvent. I presume the Ng3 is the same, and in addition has no SD-card slot to get round the problem. FBreader is an exception, if anyone needs to know.

You don't know what you're talking about and present your uninformed opinions as facts.
I have had/have a number of Readers with a card slot and none of them was ever used to put fonts on any of them including a nook STR. So how do I use a card slot to put fonts on a Sony Reader or Kindle?

As for FBReader, it’s an awful program. It does not respect CSS properly enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #11
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
That's a matter of opinion. I like both Cecilia and Bookerly.
I agree - I miss having Cecilia too. It was my font of choice. But I will say that all the others looks good too now on the new Glow3. :-)
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard

Yeah, it's a shame. It's the best font around. I guess they decided to save money.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, it's a shame. It's the best font around. I guess they decided to save money.
I don't see how they're saving any money. They're still licensing fonts from Monotype (who bought out Linotype, where they were getting Caecilia). Except, I think, Georgia is licensed through Microsoft (maybe because Microsoft once owned a part of B&N's Nook business?).
Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #14
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I think the most likely bet is they found people weren't using Caecilia enough to justify paying the licensing costs.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
I think the most likely bet is they found people weren't using Caecilia enough to justify paying the licensing costs.
Caecilia is still what I use on my Nooks and Kindle still includes it on their eReaders (at least on their Basic version). But you could be right.