Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course Cyberread has a 1/2 price sale going on now. Use the code THKU08 and you get 1/2 off.

They have most of the Discworld series minus Carpe Jugulum.

The grand total for all 30 of the book is $131.31 which comes to roughly $4.377 per book. Not bad really.

These are all in Mobipocket format. And you'll need Windows with Mobipocket Reader to be able to add in the PID.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-23-2008 at 09:57 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Are they secure mobi? Because plain old insecure PRC is what I need, in order to convert it to jumbo font.

I still haven't had a free moment to try that thing.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Are they secure mobi? Because plain old insecure PRC is what I need, in order to convert it to jumbo font.
Yes, they are secure Mobipocket. But, given that you have MobiDeDRM.py, once you install Python from http://www.python.org and with that script, you can remove the DRM and from there do as you need to get them on your reader.

It's not difficult, just a little time consuming.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not difficult, just a little time consuming.
I appreciate your encouragement and no comments about how inept I am at this stuff. You and others are going to keep on ;ushing/supporting me until you accidentally turn me into someone who know what she is doing - THANKS!

The time consuming part is the problem. I'd gladly pay extra if the publishers would just make it simple and pick a standard format. In fact, the reason I love mobi2imp so much is it takes all of 30 seconds to convert something and get it onto the EB-1150.

So, 31 books on the list, huh? I've only read 2 or 3, and don't remember much about them. I guess I'll start with #1 and spend the rest of my life reading the other 30. (Slow reader) But from what I know and remember, it will be a fun journey.

BTW, I got bad news at the eye doc yesterday, but he was chatting about my EB-1150 again. He's been interested in it ever since I got it. He said his wife finally got a Kindle, but she won't let him use it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #20
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Just my $0.04, (adjusted for inflation and the crapulous economy). I always read them from 1 to whatever, mostly because that's how I read them to begin with, but also because there are running gags that Pratchett inserts that you have to have read the set up two books back in order to get the punchline.

Last edited by pshrynk; 10-23-2008 at 10:22 AM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #21
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
If I can keep my eyes off Pshrynk's juggling for long enough I'll ask a question...

I've been getting the Discworld novels from Fictionwise, why do they come with boring 'front covers' ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Not all of them do. But yes, some do indeed have some sort of generic cover. What I do is when I convert to LRF (for those with the generic cover), I go find a good cover and use that.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I appreciate your encouragement and no comments about how inept I am at this stuff. You and others are going to keep on ;ushing/supporting me until you accidentally turn me into someone who know what she is doing - THANKS!

The time consuming part is the problem. I'd gladly pay extra if the publishers would just make it simple and pick a standard format. In fact, the reason I love mobi2imp so much is it takes all of 30 seconds to convert something and get it onto the EB-1150.

So, 31 books on the list, huh? I've only read 2 or 3, and don't remember much about them. I guess I'll start with #1 and spend the rest of my life reading the other 30. (Slow reader) But from what I know and remember, it will be a fun journey.
Yes, we will get you up to speed and it will work and it will be good and you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Quote:
BTW, I got bad news at the eye doc yesterday, but he was chatting about my EB-1150 again. He's been interested in it ever since I got it. He said his wife finally got a Kindle, but she won't let him use it.
That is not all bad. Your doctor can now go get a Sony Reader PRS-700. And it will be his wife that wants it but cannot have it.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
OK, one would have thought that the generic covers would be used for non-drm books - but no doubt that's life......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
In fact, the reason I love mobi2imp so much is it takes all of 30 seconds to convert something and get it onto the EB-1150.
Just add 30 seconds to that... not even if you create a batch file that calls mobidedrm first then call mobi2imp it could still be "30 seconds".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #26
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
How long is the half-price sale at Cyberread going for?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
How long is the half-price sale at Cyberread going for?
That I do not know. But I do know the sale is still on today. So my guess would be at least a week.